8 16.33%
  • I can't quite decide yet

15 30.61%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is it really worth the money?

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

I love Final Fantasy. That's a given. But... I dont have the money, and even if I did, I wouldnt pay to watch people run around and have pretend-sex with eachother, like I've seen on Ultima and Ragnorok. Before, there were rumors of a single player no-online mode which made me so happy... but obviously that's not a reality. I think I'll skip XI and use the money I saved on getting some more games I've been missing out on.

Actually to clear up a few things.

You can pick the server you want withOUT paying gil. You just create your charcter and delete him until you get on the desired server. That's how most of the importers got onto the Ragnarok server.

Star Craft onli lasts this long cause there are people willing to play and there are no monthly fees
    Star Craft is free because the graphics aren't full 3-D and the servers require less to run then say 20 servers running a full 3-D world.

I wouldnt pay to watch people run around and have pretend-sex with eachother, like I've seen on Ultima and Ragnorok.
    I don't where you thought up of pretend sex but so far that hasn't happened. Oh ya and this isn't Ultima or Ragnarok online. This you have to pay for and the game mods ban cheaters or members that are harrassing others.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Originally posted by Bahamut2000X
    I don't where you thought up of pretend sex but so far that hasn't happened. Oh ya and this isn't Ultima or Ragnarok online. This you have to pay for and the game mods ban cheaters or members that are harrassing others.
    I didnt play much Ultima but I did spend many hours watching Shlup and/or her dad play. People would use the movements of the characters going in to/out of war mode to emulate sex, not to mention watching people do the usual text based cyber. I was constantly propositioned while on Ragnorok. Both of these are pay, but there's really nothing they can do about it. I've never seen anyone banned for doing it there, and I highly doubt FFXI will be controlled enough to keep people from doing that.

Just look at the japanese servers, people are scared to cuss outloud because the mods will tell you not to. They are there to keep a good atmosphere in the game. So I got high hopes for FFXI.

Honestly, I don't really think FFXI will be worth it for many people. (Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to TRY to get it.) However, in addition to the money that's needed to play it...we must also take the time it consumes into consideration. I've heard that traveling between citites can take several hours and leveling up is quite time consuming as well. I'm guessing that people who aren't exactly rich and people who have busy schedules will be excluded from the game. This is understandable though...without the money the world wouldn't be so huge, there would be no more upgrades, etc. I suppose it's our money makes sure that there will never be a limit to reach!

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Time is more of an issue than money for FFXI. It can take about 72 hours to gain ten levels... or at least that's my understanding. Squaresoft did that so that the game would last.

That brings me to why the game will last. At the moment the level cap is 65... I think. Last I've heard, in future patches Squaresoft intends to raise this level cap to 250. And they also plan to constantly add things, like the four new classes they've got going. The plot that they have now is not the final one, they plan to add more to it, just like everything else.

I don't care about money, I make enough of it on my own. $10 isn't that much, as GL said. So what, I won't go to the movies as often. I don't really care. I'm getting it.

Originally posted by Grand Lethal
    Oh and as for $10 a month... I make more than that in an hour of work... its not a lot of money for entertainment. How many games do you rent a month and how much does that cost you? Do you go out to see movies, or maybe hang out at an arcade for a few hours? $10 people, its chump change...
    $10 a month doesn't sound bad until you start adding in your phone bill, gas & electric, rent, car insurance, groceries, etc. Then you start to realize that maybe you can't afford it.

In my opinion, FFXI would be worth playing for five months only. After that, you'd be overpaying considering that most PS2 games cost $50.

Originally posted by Shadowdust
    $10 a month doesn't sound bad until you start adding in your phone bill, gas & electric, rent, car insurance, groceries, etc. Then you start to realize that maybe you can't afford it.

In my opinion, FFXI would be worth playing for five months only. After that, you'd be overpaying considering that most PS2 games cost $50.
    You don't get it free. You have to pay for buying it and then paying the monthly fee. From what I can see.

EDIT: Super Rant Added.

You know I don't remember ever sitting with FF buddies and saying "You know what guys instead of another FF they should just make an online game and call it an FF and then make us wait for an offline FF". NO FF FANS WANTED AN ONLINE RPG, THEY'D OF GOT SOME THING ELSE IF THEY DID. But Squaresoft wants to take risks, do new things, and make more profit from the looks of it...

[q=Some Game news Site]
    On Final Fantasy VII, Nomura stated that the chances of a sequel were unrealistic. Since Final Fantasy X-2 was built mostly off the engine of its predecessor, it was fairly easy to quickly produce a sequel. However, the much older engine of Final Fantasy VII would be unusable, and the game would have to be built mostly from scratch. This would require the development time and resources of a brand new Final Fantasy.
    [/q]
    Bastards. Screw Square Enix or Square Penis what-ever the hell their calling themselves I don't EVER want to buy another FF from those jack-asses. HOW THE HELL CAN YOU MAKE MILLIONS OF PROFIT OFF OF ONE SEQUEL THEN SAY THAT MAKING ANOTHER IS TO MUCH WORK!? I'm beginning to think they think all FF7 fans are there bitches, there hooked and they will not stop buying their products, so why do any thing for old FF fans when they can do newer more exciting things to attract new, and more stupider in most cases, fans. I'm really pissed.
    Last edited by ZeZipster; 06-09-2003 at 03:06 AM.

Guys and Gals... i know its hard to say this but when you work yes you pay for the bills...but you know $10 is nothing thats just money to spend. If you say you don't have enough money to spend then...i dunno...do you every do anything fun? I make $20 for mowing the grass at other ppls houses...thats 2 months of playing time..then mow more and more...soon you have enough for a year. DOn't forget the holidays, i get around $200 for chirstmas and birthday....i know i sound spoiled...i just ahve alot of aunts and uncles...abit to much...beside the point its not hard to earn $10 bucks and easy enough to get it....i have $20 in pennys....dunno why but i do
    Will I find what I am looking for? Does this quest really excist or is it just a dream?

[center][TABLE][TR]
    [TD]<a href=http://www.murasaki-tenshi.net/ff7

Get a hold of yourself ZeZipster, I thought we got rid of you from these forums! Stop argueing.

If you don't like Square-Enix, then don't buy their products, but don't go ranting on a forum about it because no one gives a crap. Until you make a highly successful company that make games, then I suggest you close your mouth. Expecialy if you haven't even played the game yourself. They do have to compete with competition you know, they are allowed to try new things.

Anyways, back to the topic. I find that 10 dollars (Actually 20 dollars here) is fine, and I have the resources to pay for that. I think it's just fair to keep them servers up, and to keep adding expansions and such.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Mojo Pin, ranting about Square-Enix is one thing, but ranting about your fellow EoFF member is quite another thing all together. Get hold of yourself.
    Hello Pika Art by Dr Unne ~~~ godhatesfraggles

Originally posted by Mojo Pin
    If you don't like Square-Enix, then don't buy their products, but don't go ranting on a forum about it because no one gives a crap. Until you make a highly successful company that make games, then I suggest you close your mouth. Expecialy if you haven't even played the game yourself. They do have to compete with competition you know, they are allowed to try new things.
    People do give a crap. I don't need to have a highly successful gaming company to change peoples decisions (and theirs a lot of people undecided so maybe even make people have a decision). Maybe YOU need a big company to make decisions for you but I don't. I don't think 10 dollars is cheap. I don't like Online games. I don't want to just give them my money and join with every one else because I know it wasn't always like that, when Squaresoft changed the trust was gone and I could no longer just throw my cash at them and hope they give me some thing good. To many risks now, what if I give them my money, pay for 1 month and decide I don't like it? I'll have payed for 60$ and I won't be able to go back 2 months later to replay it, because of the stupid monthly fee. I don't want Online interaction for a Final Fantasy, Squaresoft used to decide how popular the main character was, the personality of the other party members, and what all the characters in the game will say... Now they don't and I don't know what to expect from Jimbob123423. I don't want to have to deal with stupid questions from newbies. "D00d WTF OMG OMG WERE DID U GET ARMOR????/" in a Final Fantasy? Forget it. It's not a Final Fantasy.

ZeZipster, I respect that you have a opinion and that your saying it, I don't respect that fact that you have been doing this for months going on and on how you dislike the game and won't be buying it. It's simple, if you don't like the game you can say it a couple times and then get out of the forum, but you continue to rant about the game, and you have done it for many many months and I know I speak for all the pro FFXI players when I say, please go somewhere else because we know your standing on the game and we're tired of your continuing to rant about it for months.

Originally posted by Bahamut2000X
    ZeZipster, I respect that you have a opinion and that your saying it, I don't respect that fact that you have been doing this for months going on and on how you dislike the game and won't be buying it. It's simple, if you don't like the game you can say it a couple times and then get out of the forum, but you continue to rant about the game, and you have done it for many many months and I know I speak for all the pro FFXI players when I say, please go somewhere else because we know your standing on the game and we're tired of your continuing to rant about it for months.
    Note that you have 4 replies to this thread. Also note that I have 4. But because I'm opposed to the game instead of all for it, I have to leave? Maybe you should leave, seeing as we know your standing on the game. We should just all leave this forum as soon as our opinion is out because then we know how every one feels. I argue for the sake of convincing people to think for themselves and because some one responded to my post. I can't convince you or any veterans to this forums to even consider not playing the game, I don't know why. Have you actually played FFXI?

No I have not played the game but at least I don't bad mouth the game for months despite my not playing, and most likely not even looking up info for it. I have studied the game quite a bit and know plenty about it and I think it's a great game from what I've seen.

I am asking you politly to stop posting in this forum if all your going to do is rant about the game (I'm not the only one that's been saying this either). As I said, I understand if you say you dislike the game for a few posts, but when you rant everywhere in the forum for months on end it's gets irratating and annoying to have to see someone bad mouthing a game that looks great.

I argue for the sake of convincing people to think for themselves
    I think for myself. Are you saying since I will be playing FFXI I am a mindless zombie? I don't think ranting about you opinion is going to make people change if their going to get the game or not. That's sorta the reason why it's a opinion because it's yours and yours alone, you can't force your opinion on others, as you seem to be trying.