Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Umm...so what did you think about Amarant???

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If FFIX's writers had bothered to pay attention to the secondary lead characters, then Amarant could've been one of the most interesting. The few details we get about his life hint at a tantalisingly deep back-story... no parents, first memory is of his first fight, martial arts or spiritual training (hence his 'Monk abilities'), his job as a security guard, his former job with Lani... there's so much they could have developed. They could make an entire game about his past, I think.

Hence my opinion that FFIX's characters are often horiffically under-developed.

I didn't really like him that much... the only place i thought that he helped was in Oeilvert. He just didn't do much for the story.

www.quad9dyne.com
    *falls off chair laughing*

Eyece

Amarant was my favorite character. Fuc* all of you who didn't like him.

Yes, his personality was typical, but you have the personality of his in EVERY FF! Cloud, Squall...Shall I go on?

Amarant's ok. Not super, not FUBAR, but ok. Elan is just goddam awesome.
    This Apple-software (QuickTime) is not meant to be used for controlling nuclear powerplants, aircraft-navigation, communication-systems, air traffic control-systems or lifesupportive machines, where errors and shortcomings in the Apple-software may lead to deaths, injuries or serious property- or environmental damage.

Exiled Idiot of Doom? Blackmage's Avatar

I thought he was pretty spiffy.
    *agrees*
    Kuja Highwind/Blackmage: Some guy that used to be active back around 2001... He almost made his way through Proto's Custom Title Tournament way back in the day...but almost only counts in horseshoes and grenades. Oh well.

Originally posted by RSL
    I found him to be a rather boring character. I think you could take him out of the story completely and nothing would change.
    Exactly. He wasn't relevant to the plot at all.

He was good in battle, but his personality was just... dull. I thought he was gonna be Zidane's pet rooster when I first bought the game. :D (That was before I read the booklet.)

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

I love Amarant so much.

Amarant had some useful moves and was a decent figher, much like Freya. But to be technical, I would choose Steiner over him. And mages in the party are nifty. Everyone hates Eiko...heh... I like Eiko, she is one of my favorites.
    Lamia's Tiara- Headgear in FFIX
    Lamia's Flute- Weapon for Eiko in FFIX
    Lamia in FFV- a enemy
    appearance: a lady with long brown hair, wearing a tiara...half woman and half snake.
    Lamia in FF3j- A Harp
    Lamia in FFL2- An enemy
    FF2j Queen Lamia, at one point she even gets Frionel in a bedroom with her and jumps on the bed and says "take me!".. before she turns into her snakey self. She serves as a mini boss in this game (as Queen Lamia).. and after you fight her as a mini boss, regular lamia's become random foes and later on in the game, Queen Lamia's become random foes as well.
    LamiaScl. an item that paralyzes foes.
    According to legend, she was once a Libyan queen (or princess) who fell in love with Zeus. Zeus' jealous wife Hera deformed her into a monster and murdered their offspring. She also made Lamia unable to close her eyes, so that she couldn't find any rest from the obsessing image of her dead children. When Zeus saw what had be done to Lamia, he felt pity for her and gave his former lover a gift: she could remove her eyes, and then put them on again. This way, though sleepless, she could rest from her misfortune. Lamia envied other the other mothers and took her vengeance by stealing their children and devouring them.

Thumbs up

I just got this game two weeks ago and after reading the strategy guide, Amarant reminds me a lot of Squall: the badass, lone-wolf type of character. He's cool-looking too.
    I don't go looking for trouble, but I'll fight back if trouble finds me.

Never... NEVER compare the greatness of Amarant to the suckiness of Squall. Amarant was solid in battle and his character was shrouded in mystery. Plus, ignoring the fact that his dreadlocks defied gravity, he was badass-looking too! I liked his weapons and his abilities, and he's just got a sort of mystique to him.

Amarant's past may not have been developed much, but I think his present is far more interesting. He spends an odd amount of time around Freya, ja?

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'd have liked it if the Amarant/Freya friendship was developed more in the game. However, all we really get shown is how the various characters interact with Zidane.

Originally posted by Big D
    If FFIX's writers had bothered to pay attention to the secondary lead characters, then Amarant could've been one of the most interesting. The few details we get about his life hint at a tantalisingly deep back-story... no parents, first memory is of his first fight, martial arts or spiritual training (hence his 'Monk abilities'), his job as a security guard, his former job with Lani... there's so much they could have developed. They could make an entire game about his past, I think.

That's what fanfics are for. But yeah... Amarant's way underappreciated. He rocks. :rock:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii RyÝkishi View Post
    ZORN: "We are opposed to reviving long-dead threads!"
    THORN: "Opposed to reviving--hey, you know what? I'm tired of this whole stupid shtick. I have no trouble talking in uninverted sentences, and while I have no idea about my partner here since we never even talk to each other outside of work, Thorn's not even my real name. It's Larry, and I quit."

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

He seems to have too much hair for my liking and they are crimson red like bloodm it scares me.

i dont care for him, he is boring. theres like one bit of character "growth" when he quits being a security guard to chase children around the globe. thats about all that happens.

i remember him lying down for a nap in an upside down castle or something and its just like "whatever...."