6 14.29%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FF1: Hardest Boss

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

I always have FAST agains Astos too. I always thought he was easy, except that he usually manages to kill 1 character, but after that he's very unlikely to kill any more. Depending on the party Chaos or Lich in the ToF is hard. For solo parties Kraken in the ToF is hard. In the PSX / WSC versions Chaos is way harder than the NES version. For 4 WMs the Wizards in the Marsh Cave were really hard for me. So I don't know.

I found Astos quite easy. A few attacks from my Fighter and Theif and fire2 from my Black Mage killed him. Although he did kill my White Mage. Astos is definitly the most annoying boss in the game. As I had to go all the way back to Elfeim to revive him.
    Lets Biltz

Astos is hardest for me, but that's because I'm very anal about having all of my party members with equal experience. If I didn't care if a battle ended with a party member dead, Astos would be quite easy. He's easy to beat, but it takes a few tries before my mage can cast mute successfully before Astos casts death. On the NES, mute wasn't necessary, since Astos typically failed in rubbing my team. In the WSC and PSX versions, Rub never misses it seems.

Without my own peculiar rules of levelling and such, I think Lich version 2 is probably the hardest. I know he's responsible for more game overs than any other enemy in the game. I usually underestimate him, and don't fully heal before the battle, or I forget he's there. Then he opens with Nuke, and I'm pretty much dead, or will be because of my equal experience rule above.
    Knock yourselves down.

I would say Warmech, but is he really a boss? he's not a required fight, or one of the always-there battles where you fight when you step on a certain square (Red & Blue Dragons). It seems to be widely considered that he's a boss - I think so too, but this started me thinking about it.
    So I would say Warmech(?) and Chaos
    I disable signatures. Killjoy.

Astos is pitifully easy. Warmech is probably the hardest, even though none of them were very difficult for me

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

Astos was annoying in WSC version, because Death (RUB) almost always hits and I wanted everyone to have the same EXP. Lich 2 is quite hard because he usually begins the battle with Flare (NUKE), at least in WSC version. But usually my party survives the Flare and beats him up, and then I'll use loads of healing items and spells to cure the group. Kraken 2 was quite hard for me too, because he can get a lucky 600+ damage shot that instantly kills my mages if he's lucky enough to attack them before I've cast Protect 2 (FOG2) and White Shirt (Invis 2) on my party.

WarMech is quite tough in the WSC version, because his 100 HP regeneration works there. He also has 2000 HP, which is as much as FF1 NES' Chaos has. I found WSC's Chaos really hard. He has 4000 HP and he keeps casting powerful spells like Inferno, Tidal Wave and Tornado a lot (I can't remember their correct names). If that wasn't enough, there's more: he casts Cure4, and that gives him practically 8000 HP. Yikes. And if that wasn't enough, Square obviously didn't want a Black Belt (or Master) to kill him with one hit in the WSC version. That's why they reduced BB's power against Chaos, and even a Hasted (FASTed) Master couldn't do more than 200-300 damage when I last tried. I think Fighter/Knight's attack power is also somewhat reduced. A level 50 Knight with Hasted Masamune was able to do 500-600 damage, but never do something like 1000+ damage.

There's one other thing I found really hard. It's not an actual boss, but here goes: the Ice Cave. That place always freaks me out. There's no telling when Sorcerers or Mages ambush me and wipe out my characters with a single blow before they even get their first turn. That place is almost impossible for those who want their guys to have the same EXP (I think I've managed to beat the Ice Cave only once with everyone alive). Even if you don't care about the party having the same amount of EXP, it will still be hard to get out of that cave alive.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Garland...er...because I didn't have any weapons equipped. No wonder I was having trouble with those imps...

Lost Heretic,
    The Bitter and Jaded Teen

im going to say warmech. just becaus my brother says hes hard
    SIg removed for exceeding 250 pixel height

i killed eye before he even had a chance to attack >_>.
    For me it was lich 2 though.

At the stage in the game that you fight them, the Wizards of the Marsh Cave are easily the hardest unless you level up like a random-battle fiend for a substantial amount of time at elfland/finger point.

Why did you put Warmech in the choices? Hes not a boss? Well anyway my hardest boss fight was with CHAOS on my solo thief so im gonna vote for him.
    Final Fantasy 1 Solos Beaten
    Knight (both PSX and NES)
    Fighter
    Master
    Monk (both PSX and NES)
    Ninja
    Thief (both PSX and NES)
    Red Wiz
    Red Mage
    Black Wiz
    Black Mage
    White Wiz
    White Mage

i was fighting astos on the psx, and the first time he cast reaper (rub) on my fighter so i reset, and the next time he didn't cast it at all he just attacked my fighter for a whopping 10 damage.
    I might make it California's fault
    Be locked in Geneva's deepest vault
    Just like the canals of Mars and the great barrier reef
    I come to you beyond belief

Quote Originally Posted by zelda78 View Post
    Warmech is a joke, Lich and Chaos are creampuffs

the biggest threat is Astos largely because he always begins the battle with Rub, and you don't have anti-Rub stuff at all; in the PSOne version it seems like Rub almost always work

Astos was pathetic at even level 12. But if you were lower than that, :x_x:

And make sure you know what you're talking about- Chaos has 4000 HP, can use cure 4, and uses RUB just as much as astos.

Now, please excuse me as WarMech OWNS you with NEUCLEAR.
    Out of the way, you might get blown up!

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Yeah, Astos was very annoying since you are most likely to have a crap party at that point of the game..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

It depends on your party. My four white mages can slaughter Lich in no time flat because he's undead and weak against white magic, but he has an insanely high defense\absorb stat and my four black belts got their butts kicked because even doing 8 hits each, they were still only hitting for 8 damage.