Thread: FF1 on emulator

Default FF1 on emulator

i have FCE ultra.. the NES Emulator.. on whcih i am currently playign FF one all over again... it says there is a Game Genie function but i have no clue as to how it works.. at the walkthrough for it confuses the holy hell out of me.. so ill post it here.. see if you can make any sense out of it.

(ill wait for permission before i actually post it..)
    You Are CHAOS; You are the supreme evil reigning in the land. You are large, in charge, and made all-powerful through a very confusing time-loop thing. Hidden in the past, you destroy the future from within, and a single battle with you could determine the fate of the planet...

I use FCE Ultra for my NES emulation as well. When I use the cheats (which is more often than I should ) I don't use the Game Genie function. I don't now how that works either. What I use is the cheat search under the NES heading in the menu. If you're having problems using that, let me tell you how I use it.

Say you want infinite HP for your main character. Let's say he's a fighter with 35 HP. First hit the 'Reset Search' button. Start by searching for the value 35 in the V1 & V2 boxes under parameters. Make sure the first radio button (O==V1 && C==V2) is selected. Basically you are searching for anything that had an original value (the O in that statement above) and a current value (The C above) of 35. When you hit the 'Do Search' button it will give a number of results. Next thing you want to do is exit out of this screen back into the game and get into a fight. What you're trying to do is lower your characters HP. Once he gets hit, go back to this Cheat Search screen. Change the value in V2 to what his current HP value is and hit the 'Do Search' button again. This should only give you a couple of possible values in the left window, maybe only one. You can keep doing this until you get one value or you can experiment if you have 3 or 4 to choose from. Highlight the cheat in the left window and give it a name in the right hand side of this window. You'll also want to set a value for this cheat, this is what you're telling the emulator the value of his HP is going to be. Each individual cheat line can hold a value from 0 to 255, so 255 would be the most you could set in this line. You can have more than 255 HP, though, so you need to find where the rest of the HP is at. It's probably going to be the previous or next address in memory. If you're following my example, you will find that your first character's HP total is at address 610A. The other address for his HP is at 610B, the very next address position. If you want his HP to be at the max, set 610A to have a value of 231 and 610B to be 003.

Are you confused yet? I hope not. This is how it pretty much works: Every variable in the game is stored in memory somewhere, such as each characters EXP total, what class he/she is, what weapons they have, etc. What you're doing is just running a search for where in the memory the specific thing you're looking for is. Once you find where that's being stored, you just change what the game thinks you should have.

If you have any questions, or if I left something out, let me know.
    -> Insert humorous signature here <-

whoa... i think it worked.. my level 2 blackbelt hits 2 times for 530 damge... and has 255/66 HP. weird thing is.. im lvl 2.. but i have 1507 xp.. with 0 needed to lvl..lol this brings a whole new dimension to the game.. granted its an extremely unfaur dimension.. but a dimension nonetheless...

Dimension... ok sorry i had to say it one more time..
    You Are CHAOS; You are the supreme evil reigning in the land. You are large, in charge, and made all-powerful through a very confusing time-loop thing. Hidden in the past, you destroy the future from within, and a single battle with you could determine the fate of the planet...

Yeah, it's pretty powerful stuff. I used to get carried away with this sort of thing and then lost interest in the games because of it. I don't cheat like that anymore. Now, I still do the select-cancel trick in FF2, but that's OK because it's built into the game, right?
    -> Insert humorous signature here <-

all too correct... i dont think ill ever lose intrest in FF1... i just dont see it happening. I mean in my opinion, it is the 2nd best FF game ever made.. its second only to Tactics...