FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Video games are good for you

Playing Video Games Not So Mindless After All
    Thu May 29, 2003 09:46 AM ET
    LONDON (Reuters) - Hours spent playing action video games may not be as mindless as many parents think.
    Whether it's Spiderman or Grand Theft Auto 3 or others, the fast-moving action of the games seems to improve a range of visual skills.

"Although video-game playing may seem to be rather mindless, it is capable of radically altering visual attentional processing," Daphne Bavelier, of the University of Rochester in New York, said in a letter to the science journal Nature.

In four experiments Bavelier and her colleague C. Shawn Green discovered that people who played video games several times a week for six months could monitor complex visual information more easily than non-game players.

But when the researchers gave novices 10 hours of training on the game Medal of Honor, they improved their visual processing skills.

"By forcing players to simultaneously juggle a number of varied tasks (detect new enemies, track existing enemies and avoid getting hurt, among others) action-video-game playing pushes the limits of three rather different aspects of visual attention," Bavelier said.
    WELL CONGRATU-FREAKIN-LATIONS, REUTERS!

We've been saying this for years.

Makes me proud to have been doing it for 21 years now. I always knew they'd pay off in the end! . . .

Well, not really, but it's cool to know that there is, in fact, benefits that come from playing video games.
    Sig under construction.

I've always known i was superior to those who don't play games, it's kinda obvious, I have faster eflexes, i'm more accurate, and i can think on my feet....OMG the goverment is training us IT'S A CONSPIRACY!!!

edit: i never said i could spell

Would you look at all that stuff ...
    They've got allen wrenches, gerbil feeders, toilet seats, electric heaters Trash compactors, juice extractor, shower rods and water meters Walkie-talkies, copper wires, safety goggles, radial tires BB pellets, rubber mallets, fans and dehumidifiers Picture hangers, paper cutters, waffle irons, window shutters Paint removers, window louvres, masking tape and plastic gutters Kitchen faucets, folding tables, weather stripping, jumper cables Hooks and tackle, grout and spackle, power foggers, spoons and ladles Pesticides for fumigation, high-performance lubrication metal roofing, water proofing, multi-purpose insulation Air compressors, brass connectors, wrecking chisels, smoke detectors Tire gauges, hamster cages, thermostats and bug deflectors Trailer hitch demagnetizers, automatic circumcisers Tennis rackets, angle brackets, Duracells and Energizers
    Soffit panels, circuit breakers, vacuum cleaners, coffee makers
    Calculators, generators, matching salt and pepper shakers

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm just waiting for the Reuters article that says masturbating is good for you.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Originally posted by Citizen Bleys
    I'm just waiting for the Reuters article that says masturbating is good for you.
    Oh man, that would make me a GOD or somthing.

I play video games all the time, and I have noticed that my reflexes are a bit better after playing Quake 3 for almost 4 years.
    Mr Thou! Mr Thou!

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

All the more reason to download them

Now I just need one saying lots of anime improves your foreign language skills
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

I always thought it was video game playing makes you better at masturbation. Which works out quite nicely seeing as video game playing makes you worse at girlfriend getting.

Come on, you don't need a newspaper article to tell you that. There've been hundreds of recent studies on this type of thing in the last 10 years.

Old news, says I.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Good for you or a good reason to do it? o.o

I need to play games more often...

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

So video games give us "visual tracking skills". What good are visual tracking skills? I don't hunt for my own food or anything. I tend not to have to track enemy combatants in real life. Is the benefit of increased visual tracking skills worth the cost of, say, sitting on your butt 10 hours a day and becoming overweight? Or having your eyesight destroyed by staring at a monitor from 5 inches away without blinking for hours on end?

Articles

[q=Shorty]Good for you or a good reason to do it? o.o[/q]Probably both.

You know I saw thisvery same news article on UPN50 news. Of course I've known all alon that vids can increase your hand eye coordination but I think that years of playing them in he big bright TV in my living room caused me to go nearsigted so I had to get glasses but I say thats a small price to pay to increase hand eye coordinaton without doing any grueling training.

Originally posted by Citizen Bleys
    It is. It releases chemicals into your body that helps your immune system.

Originally posted by omnitarian
    It is. It releases chemicals into your body that helps your immune system.
    So I take it we'll never see Bleys again.
    [leeza]Total sig height should not be over 250 pixels, including all text.[/leeza]