Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Default Wrexsoul

Does anyone know how to, or have you, beaten Wrexsoul without X-Zone or doing the Vanish/Doom trick? That battle with him went on forever until I tried X-Zone out of desperation the first time I played FFVI. So has anyone beaten him with a different strategy?

And please don't respond to this thread with a post like "No, I've only beaten him with X-Zone or Vanish" or something of the sort. I'll ask a mod to close this if that happens. Sorry, but it's a pet-peeve of mine when a topic is "Other than option a, discuss option(s) b-z" and people still talk about option a, even though the post asks you not to talk about it.
    Figaro Castle

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

According to the FFIII guide (the SNES version of FFVI), you can defeat him by attacking him with your best combat espers, but it does not suggest which ones. The trick seems to be using spells/espers that do equal damage to both Soulsavers.

Articles

The only way you can really do it is to kill each of your party members when he disappears. It's very useful to know Life2 and be prepared for a long fight, because it takes a while.

Basically, whenever he disappears, he'll possess one of your members. It's your job to figure out which one, and you have to kill each one until they die. If it's the right member, Wrexsoul will reappear.

I know he's resistant to some magic, but I can't remember which ones. The little creatures in front of him can't ever be killed, they just come back to life after a couple of turns. Basically, hit Wrexsoul with whatever you've got when he's out in the open, and you should kill him eventually.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ok, I thought it was something like that but I wasn't sure. What a stupid battle set-up. I wonder what Square was thinking when they came up with this idea.
    Figaro Castle

Articles

Well, it's kinda like the Gi Nattak fight in FFVII. Except you don't have to kill any of your party in that battle.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I always found the WrexSoul fight easy but long. Yeah, knowing Life/Life2 or having plenty of Fenix Downs is handy, and I usually do the kill own party members method to do this fight. If I kill one and he doesn't reappear, I revive and heal, then kill the next and so on until he does reappear. I ignore the front blob things usually.
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

You don't win anything extra for beating Wrexsoul the "correct" way, do you?
    Figaro Castle

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

No, but wrexsoul is usually one of the latter side-quests i do just to make it a lot shorter. He usually only dissappears 3 times for me, and i can usually have him dead in a bout 15 minutes.

Articles

Actually, you do. If I remember correctly, you get a Pod Bracelet, which permanently puts Safe and Shell on a party member. It's very nice.