Thread: Converting Japanese to English

Converting Japanese to English

I'm not a genius when it comes to computers so it might be a pretty stupid question.

Is it possible getting a programme which can convert Japanese ROMS into English ROMS.
    (By that I mean a programme for e.g. nesticle I can use to convert all Japanese letters into English, or do I have to use a specific one for each game or isn't it possible at all.

Thanks beforehand

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nope, you need a patch for each game specific to that game, since it also needs to translate the dialogue too, a straight letter conversion will just give garbage for the in game text
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

If you want to play a Japanese game, google it with the terms "+gamename +IPS", since IPS patching is the most popular method of translation. A search for IPS.EXE or SNESTOOL should give you a program with which to apply the patch.

Just be aware that you'll have to do the actual patching from the command line, which a lot of people are scared of.

"IPS romname.smc patchname.ips"

if you can type that out, you'll be fine. DOS windows don't bite. (Although in 2k/XP, they do blow, but that's a completely a different story for a different day, as A. A. Milne would say)

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

If you're gonna play the ROM in an emulator though, you only need to rename the patch file and not worry about getting stuff like SNEStool etc., since recent versions of ZSNES and Snes9x will do the patching on the fly for you as you run the ROM if it finds a patch file with the same name before the file extension
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP