Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Selphie is a.... SPOILER!

Default Selphie is a.... SPOILER!

....Sorceress?!?!

hehehe, how she can use magic without junction? (limit break), only sorceresses have the innate ability of casting magic...or Selphie could be a monster from the moon! (monstres can also cast magic as innate skill)

maybe she is a sorceress but she never realized it, remember Edea, she can use exclusive spells like Ice Strike or Maelstrom, Selphie have 4 (...or 6, if you count Percent and Catastrophe) exclusive spells... i'm guess that is the only explanation for innate magic...

btw, that shouldn't apply to Quistis, since she only mimic the moster skills, i guess.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

A lot of the characters can use some kind of pseudo-magical ability in their Limit Breaks, without junctions. Besides Selphie and Quistis, Squall and Zell can do some fairly powerful stuff - just look at the levitation or fireworks involved in Lion Heart and Burning Rave. Seifer's Fire Cross is perhaps the best example. I believe that many of FFVIII's characters have some kind of innate magical ability, but aren't quite as powerful as 'real' sorceresses. After all, Galbadian and Esthar soldiers can use magic without junctions, too - they simply have a different system.

What I'd like to know is, (SPOILER)why does Rinoa still depend on junctions and drawn magic when she becomes a sorceress? I mean, her powers and abilities (excluding Angel Wing) are completely unaffected.

SPOILER AHEAD!!!!!

maybe because she is a beginner S...

hey, can yu teach me hoy to put these (SPOILER) thing on threads?

.. oh, nevermind, i think i get it... just make the letters in dark blue rigth?

Super-Rad Recognized Member Spatvark's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

1) Put the spoilerous text inbetween a [ spoiler] and a [/ spoiler] tag (NOTE: Remove the spaces that precede spoiler in teh tags). So, putting something like [ spoiler]I like pie![/ spoiler] will give you (SPOILER)I like pie!

2) Don't double post; use teh edit/delete button found at teh bottom of teh post to add to the post in question plzkthx =P
    Seriously the best band in the world.
    And here's where I'll stay / For ten years and a day
    We're on a quest to find hidden treasure / And mystery on The Wild Sea

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

I dont think Selphie is a sorceress... I think VIII just left a lot of strange loose ends and unexplained things, not to mention the Time Compression nonsense. Especially all the stuff Big D mentioned

Grin

oh yeah... not a flawless plot, eh

FFXIV Character

Denston Fairclough (Midgardsormr)

Originally posted by Big D
    After all, Galbadian and Esthar soldiers can use magic without junctions, too - they simply have a different system.
    Indeed. They use materia. xP

ahh...that Trabia place is really for wicked people, that should explain why it is in the middle of nowhere.

...kidding...

Wouldn't Quistis be a sorc too because her limit break allows her to use Blue magic without any junctioning?

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Isn't that what we're saying?

I figure that a limited amount of magical ability is natural in the FFVIII world. Perhaps some lingering remnant of Hyne's powers?

Sorceresses simply have more powerful, more diverse forms of magic at their disposal.

A few 'normal' people - Seifer, Quistis, Selphie, etc - have certain magical powers, and anybody can be given similar abilities by using junctions, or whatever it is that Galbadia's and Esthar's soldiers use.

I have one matching sock PhoenixAsh's Avatar

I gotta say, nice as that explains things, Selphie is WAY more powerful than any sorceress in the game. The only thing she lacks is control given she can only use it when she is emotionally charged, and even then she can't use her skills efficiently.
    I know it's probably just a plot hole, but they did give Selphie an enormous amount of power considerringthe focus on sorceresses in the game.

I say what I think. If you disagree, then that is up to you.

Exiled Idiot of Doom? Blackmage's Avatar

Regarding Big D's spoiler'ed question...(SPOILER)As far as having strength and what-not it makes a tad bit of sense: use the magic's innate power to increase your physical powers. I mean, I'd hate to have to focus my mind on upholding a bunch of spells to "junction" to my HP, my strength, my vitality, my speed, etc. I dunno, somethings are strange like that. Probably just a loophole the makers didn't want to bother with (And it'd suck to have (SPOILER)Rinoa not be able to junction anything, ya?).
    Kuja Highwind/Blackmage: Some guy that used to be active back around 2001... He almost made his way through Proto's Custom Title Tournament way back in the day...but almost only counts in horseshoes and grenades. Oh well.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

Originally posted by Phoenix 17
    I gotta say, nice as that explains things, Selphie is WAY more powerful than any sorceress in the game. The only thing she lacks is control given she can only use it when she is emotionally charged, and even then she can't use her skills efficiently.
    I know it's probably just a plot hole, but they did give Selphie an enormous amount of power considerringthe focus on sorceresses in the game.

Yeah, she is more powerful than any other character, monster or sorceress. She can even kill Omega Weapon and Ultimecia with a single cast of The End. As for her restriction to only cast it while having a limit break, she could easily cast Aura.

By the way, this gives us some reasons to believe that (SPOILER)Selphie is Ultimecia and Quistis is Griever (well, she and the Griever are the only ones who can cast Shockwave Pulsar).
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

I have one matching sock PhoenixAsh's Avatar

Sephiroth1999AD quote:
    By the way, this gives us some reasons to believe that (SPOILER)Selphie is Ultimecia and Quistis is Griever (well, she and the Griever are the only ones who can cast Shockwave Pulsar).
    Hehe, I can't believe how far me asking a question about R=U closing methods has spiralled. There's been so much new thinking and talk in the forums recently I'm convinced R=U is good for this place (even though by a bizarre twist *raises eyebrow* both R=U threads in Feedback got closed with almost no provocation).
    BTW yes I know that was a joke from Seph, but it sure beats the 'where can I get Dragon Fangs' style threads that usually fill this forum.

I say what I think. If you disagree, then that is up to you.

Blog Entries

Selphie's limit break has an ability that allows you to kill everything in one hit. So does Odin. Does that mean Odin is a sorceress?

I think Limit breaks are a build up of emotion, then the character releases their anger in the form of a really good attack. I don't think Selphie gets her magical limit break from sorceress abilities. I don't think Square meant to have an explantion for it, either.