Thread: My Opinions on the FF4 Characters (Spoilers Duh!)

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default My Opinions on the FF4 Characters (Spoilers Duh!)

I would like to make it clear that I am not knocking the characters "I" do not hate FF4 I do not hate any ff apart from 11 (Which is so bad I don't think it deserves to be final fantasy) anyway the ff4 charas In my opinon have the Weekest devolopment (Having NO devolpement like in 1 and 3 don't count)

CECIL

Ok apart from having a God awful name he started of pretty cool being a Dark Knight told the story of the classic inner battle of good vs evil! So why make him a wussy Paladium or what ever! once he'd done that he lost EVERYTHING that made him cool!!

KAIN

Exelent character here!! was the one who always seamed a step ahead cecil So why make him LEAVE the party so you can't keep leveling him! WHY?

RYDA

The firts summon with a story line but what story line! she spends all her time keeping a way from the Heros and then dies only to come back older WHAT?!

TELLAH

Ok a stereo tipical old man who thinks he's good for you so goes off on his own and ends up killing himself! DIV! (However he hates the Edward so he can't be THAT bad!)

EDWARD

SPOOOON! *ahem* sorry! but Edward has got to be the worst Ever!! and even his sory could have done better it just a BAD version Romeo and Julia!!

YANG

What story?

PARROM/PALLOM

ok though I never liked them I found it Dramatic when they stoned them selves but then they come back! I mean what was the poinT!

(I don't know much about Cid Edge and Fu-So-Ya though)

On the contrary, I've never liked an entire set of hero characters as much as I have in FF4. They were all unique, all had their own story and they had their role to play.

Cecil -
    Well according to the other thread, people seem to think Paladin is far superior to Dark Knight. I wouldn't go as far as to say 'far' superior, but it did have the edge against him. I loved the way he's hated for murdering the villagers of Mist, until he becomes Paladin and gains the respect.

Kain -
    As you say, excellent character. His constant betrayal to the party and to the evil of the game always kept you wondering what he'd end up doing next. But at the end he overcomes the mind powers and manages to aid you in defeating the final boss.

Rydia -
    Cecil and Kain murder her mother, and yet somehow she manages to forgive and forget. The fact she comes back older makes her that bit more interesting. I think she's a good character.

Tellah -
    Sacrifices his own life, knowing that meteo will destroy him, just to avenge his grand daughter Anna. Plus he says "You spoony bard!" so he's the best character ever. Ever.

Edward -
    Desperatly tragic, he wants to do great things but he's too pathetic and weak. He'd be capable of greater things if he had the strength. Unfortunatly he does not, so it's quite a sad character. I like him though.

Yang -
    Yeah, what story? He does seem to be a tad neglected in the game, but he's a bald monks. Bald monks > all.

Paron + Palom -
    Again, sacrifice themsevles for the greater good. They were the comic relief up until their petrification, but they were amazing when you had them. Casting spells like Comet and Flare is pretty amazing for children. :P

Cid -
    Now that I think about it, this entire game seems to be about sacrifice. I like Cid's character, it's quite close to that of Cid Highwind (plus I hear in the Japanese version he's the first to swear). Again his own life goes before his companions, so very noble.

Edge -
    Poor guy has to witness his parents as mutated monsters, watch them attack him, and then watch them die. Poor guy. His (almost fatal) attraction to Rydia boosts their character development alittle, and he's a Ninja. Ninja > Bald Monk.

FuSoYa -
    He's the one who ties up all the loose ends. He explains about Zemus and also sheds light on Cecil's father. His magic is amazing too, as far as battle is concerned.

I will do this. Nothing in my life matters except this. No moment in my life exists except this moment. I am born in this moment, and if I fail, I will die in this moment.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

CECIL

Becoming a Paladin was the best thing Cecil ever did. He was slowly losing his humanity as a Dark Knight. He was strong as the first, but when he became a Paladin he kicked serious butt, plus had so many extra powers. I do prefer the Dark Knight sprite though.

KAIN

First of all, Kain's levels stay pretty much even with yours while he's away. Second, he was a big catalyst in the story. It was the ultimate story of betreyal and unrequited love. I personally would have told Kain to bugger off after he betrayed me twice.

RYDIA

She only distances herself from Cecil at the very beginning, and with good reason. He murdered her mother. Unintentionally yes, but that doesnt take away the pain. I think Rydia was very brave, not only forgiving Cecil but over coming her fear of fire as well. She was swallowed by Leviathon, sub-king of the summoned monsters, and taken to the land of summons to be trained and protected. The summons knew bad stuff was going down outside.

TELLAH

Tellah doesnt believe he's too good for anyone, he's simply too motivated by revenge. His death was incredibly touching, he'd lost his only daughter and his only will to live was now revenge against the one who had taken her.

EDWARD

Edward was a wuss. A coward. But what could be expected? He was a pampered and protected Prince until things went down. He'd lost his love, his family, his home, and his people. In battle he was completly useless, but it was a great show of courage for him to even come along.

YANG

How little attention did you play to this game?

PALOM/POROM

1. The turned themselves to stone to save the lives of the rest of the party, a large sacrifice for someone so young and 2. They didnt know they could come back.

And both you guys forgot Rosa. I'm stopping here, I just wanted to rebuke some of that stuff.

Cecil

He was taken in to be raised by the King of Baron, and Cecil was eternally grateful for this. It was by the King's order, however, that he was to take up the training of the Dark Knight and to claim the crystal from the Mysidians. Cecil was worried about the King's odd behavior, but said nothing to him about it until he was ordered to take a package to the Village of Mist after being discharged as commander of the Red Wings.

After awhile, he was forced to face the wrath of the angered Mysidians, and desperately wanted to make up for what he had done. At the shock of the entirety of the Mysidians, Cecil managed to obtain the sacred class of Paladin by making his way to the peak of Mt. Ordeals.

Thus, as a Paladin, Cecil went through many things until arriving at his final goal, destroying the great evil, Zeromus. Final verdict on Cecil: Well developed.

Kain

Kain, following in the steps of his father, is a Dragon Knight, or Dragoon, and resents, in the beginning, that Cecil advanced through the ranks so quickly. He feels that he sacrificed his integrity in order to achieve a higher status, but does not challenge their friendship.

Unfortunately, his mind is corrupted by Golbez, and he is forced to do his bidding involuntary. (Note: I think its a bit funny that Golbez, who was controlling Kain, was being controlled by Zemus. Seems like someone should cut out the middleman. )

In the end, Kain fights by Cecil's side, and helps him defeat the great evil Zeromus. Kain is awesome.

Rydia

Rydia, a young summoner residing in the Village of Mist watched her mother die, and struck out at Kain and Cecil in a fury, wishing to avenge her dear mother. After the events had transpired, Cecil took the unconscious girl to the town of Kaipo, to rest.

When Cecil defeated the soldiers that had come for them, Rydia began to trust and forgive the Dark Knight.

Later on, Rydia was swallowed by Leviathan, and ended up in the land of the summoned monsters, where she was taken care of and protected for a long time. Since time flows differently in that realm, she had aged quite a bit when she returned, and saved the party in the nick of time.

Rydia is one of my favorite characters from the game, and I think she's very well developed also.

Tellah

Tellah was a wise old sage with an impressive knowledge of magic. Unfortunately, over the years, his knowledge had faded, and only a fraction of his spells were readily available to him. When Cecil attained the rank of Paladin, however, Tellah's spells returned to him, and he was restored to his former status.

He intensely disliked the "spoony bard" Edward, because he felt as if he was stealing Anna, his daughter. (Can't remember whether its daughter or granddaughter) Eventually he learned to respect Edward.

In an attempt to destroy Golbez, Tellah invoked the ultimate spell Meteo, losing his life in the process. He sacrificed himself for a great cause. Tellah's death was quite tragic.

Edward

No one seems to like Edward, it seems, because of how weak he's said to be. Edward's not my faovorite character by any means, but I do like him, and his story. He was a bard, which is always a good thing, and loved Tellah's daughter (or granddaughter) Anna, and assisted the party in obtaining the cure for Rosa from Antlion.

Upon returning to Kaipo, and curing Rosa, Edward obtained stregth, as he envisioned the ghost of Anna and this ghost told him to be strong, and to be courageous.

Yang

A noble monk from the kingdom of Fabul, he is loyal to his King, much like Cecil. He encounters the party as he is trying to fend off a large group of Bombs. He is unable to defend the crystal of Fabul from being taken, unfortunately.

Later on, he sacrificed himself, but he comes back later, as he was tended to by the Sylphs.

Porom and Palom

Two funny twins, who contrast a lot. Porom is proper and always follows the rules, while Palom is rude and mischievious, and never follows the rules, unless he really has to. They're ordered to spy on Cecil as he ascends Mt. Ordeals, and petrify themselves in order to prevent the walls from closing in as the party flees after defeating Cagnazzo.

Rosa

Rosa is Cecil's significant other, supposedly, and is the traditional damsel in distress. She's captured, and used to lure the hero (Cecil) to the lair of the enemy, making for a rather cliche situation. Her background isn't elaborated much on, so I can honestly say she isn't the best developed of the characters.

Edge

A hotheaded ninja Prince residing within the caves of Eblana, his rage bringing out his hidden skills in order to defeat Rubicant. He had to watch his parent mutated into horrible twisted monsters. He had quite a crush on Rydia, which didn't seem to be returned in the slightest. Edge is one of my favorites.

FuSoYa

FuSoYa was a lunarian from (surprise) the moon, the same race that Cecil's father, KluYa is. He tied up some loose ends, like was said, and was generally a good character with some devastating magic.

In conclusion, I'd say that mostly, the characters are well developed, and any who say that they're all just shallow one-diimensional characters, isn't paying very much attention to the dialogue.

Edit: Forgot some characters. Added 'em. :x
    Last edited by Dalkaen; 07-08-2003 at 07:07 PM.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Note: I think its a bit funny that Golbez, who was controlling Kain, was being controlled by Zemus. Seems like someone should cut out the middleman. )

I think that Zemus was controlling them both it just appeared that Golbez was controlling Kain because...well we only knew about Golbeza back then!

Golbeza was consciously using his mind control powers on Cain. Remember how he leaves Cain after Tellah does his Meteo, saying "You were a worthless minion anyway"? That's hardly Zemus working there.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

I LOVE THIS GAME TOO MUCH TO NOT DEFEND IT

Cecil:
    Taken in by the King of Baron, mastering the class of the Dark Knight, he was considered to be the strongest warrior in Baron. His love triangle story between Kain, Rosa, and himself added to his character motives to change his ways. In a way, Rosa kept him from losing his soul to the darkness of the Dark Knight Blades. When he destroyed the village of Myst, wiping out the summoner's, he knew that everything he had been fighting for was wrong. Thus is why he set out to figure out why he was who he was. When he visited his father's grave on Mt. Ordeals, he was granted a second chance. His father gave Cecil his powers to strive forth and destroy Zemus and save his brother Golbez.

Kain
    Possibly the greatest villainous hero of all time. He followed his father's footsteps in becoming a dragoon, never taking up the role as a dark knight. Rosa, once his unrequited love, fell for Cecil when he became the Dark Knight of Baron. Kain was jealous of Cecil from there on, but remained a loyal friend. However, each commanded two different factions in Baron were sent on the quest to Myst. There, Kain wishes to follow out the king's orders, where-as Cecil comes to his senses and realizes the madness of everything. Kain, wanting nothing more than to become greater than Cecil, followed through with the King's orders, later ratting out Cecil's motives and starting the entire ordeal that followed. His constant struggle with his emotions for Rosa and to be better than Cecil led his mind to be weak and was taken advantage of by Zemus.

Rosa
    The center of the love triangle. Once the love of Kain, but turned to Cecil when he became a Dark Knight. She, technically, was the cause of all the events between the party and Kain. Torn between Cecil and Kain, she ended picking Cecil as her true love. Her plotline was never incredibly involved outside the triangle, besides that she was close to cid (he was like a father to her).

Rydia
    The last of the summoner tribe, witnessing the rest of her people's demise along with her mother at the hands of Cecil and Kain, she become confused and angry at herself for not being able to protect her mother. She showed great compassion to forgive Cecil when he saved her, even though he was meant to kill her. When she was swallowed by Leviathan and taken to the land of summons, time flowed differently, and she aged rapidly. Her powers grew, and she came back and protected Cecil, saving his life, almost making up to her mother for not being able to save her's.

Tellah
    The old sage, and well known in Mysidia. He wanted nothing but the best for his grand-daughter, and when she died, he was stricken with grief. He wanted nothing more but to avenge his grand-daughter's death by summoning the power of Meteo. Angry at Edward the "spoony bard" only showed how much anger he had. Yet tellah forgave Edward towards the middle of the story, releasing some of the regret he had for not stopping Anna from running off.

Edward
    Weak and cowardly, he was the Prince of Damcyan. His love for Anna sent him to be courageous when Cecil and the party battled the Dark Elf, and he played his twin harp for them, disrupting the Dark Elf's curse. He saved their lives, thus, in a way, making up for not protecting Anna.

Yang
    A noble monk of Fabul, skilled in the Martial Arts. Serving under a king who once trained in the Dark Knight arts, he was one of the most skilled warriors. Strong, courageous, and wanting nothing more than to help others, he sacrificed himself to save Cecil and the others, and was saved by the Sylphs. Too injured to join the party again, but he was happy to have done what he did. His time with his wife was in a way a comic relief.

Porom and Palom
    The twins of Mysidia sent to spy on Cecil and kill him if her were to go mad from the Dark Blade's power. Skilled in exceptional magic for their age, they were crafty and witty. Porom, the jokester and clown of the two, Palom, the witty and brainy sister. Together, their power was great. They traveled with Cecil due to their own will when he left Mysidia, wanting to help him in his quest. Later sacrificing themselves, knowing nothing could bring them back, or so they thought.

Cid
    Like every FF, except FF1, Cid was introduced. The mechanical genius, maker of the airships, and humorous beyond compare. He was like a father to Rosa. Sacrificing himself for the world to seal up the way to the Under World, he was saved by dwarves.

Edge
    A story sad and grim. The young prince of Eblan, watching what the Dr. did to his parents, having them attack him, and watching them die. Yet, he remained brave, knowing that nothing he did could have changed the outcome. He hated Rubicant for attacking Eblan and swore revenge on the Fiend of Fire. His lust for Rydia, later turned to love, and the two ended up together.

FuSoYa
    Almighty FuSoYa, the Lunarian who tied in the major enemy to the story. Cecil's uncle, he told him about Zemus, his father, and Golbez. He helped to take out the CPU in the giant of babil, thus saving the world. He was the watcher of the Lunarians untill it was time for them to awaken. But in the end, his strength was not enough to beat Zemus.

Golbez
    My fav. character with the coolest music. Golbez, the brother of Cecil who carried more traits of their father. Although it was never understood why his mind was corrupted by Zemus and not Cecil's as well, for they both carried Lunarian blood, his role in the game was phenomenal. Collecting the Crystals to bring back the Giant of Babil was his soul purpose as the puppet of Zemus. His power was phenomenal, with the ability to summon monsters and cast black magic, to his own versatile strength.

Zemus/Zeromous
    Zemus, the lunarian who refused to sleep. He wanted nothing more than to destroy and cause havoc. He was convinced that humans were inferior and would never be able to join with the Lunarian race. His hatred towards humans spawned Zeromous, the entity of hate. Although Zeromous was never truly defeated ("As long as there is hatred in this world, I will exist!"), he was put back into his place by Cecil and his party. Introduced first by FuSoYa, controlling Golbez and Kain, Zemus was the mastermind behind the madness of the story. Sealed by the lunar crystals, it was only a matter of time before he would break free from his sub-terranian prison on the moon.

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Originally posted by Indelacio
    Rosa
    The center of the love triangle. Once the love of Kain, but turned to Cecil when he became a Dark Knight. She, technically, was the cause of all the events between the party and Kain. Torn between Cecil and Kain, she ended picking Cecil as her true love. Her plotline was never incredibly involved outside the triangle, besides that she was close to cid (he was like a father to her).
    Excellent job on all that... but when does it say Rosa was ever with Kain? It's stated he has a thing for her and all, but I dont remember it ever being said they had ever been together.

I believe that i was stated on an un-official site. But, it did explain a lot. It was also posted a while back. It may or may not be true, but subtle hints in dialogue suggest that Rosa and Kain were something at one time. Why else would Kain be overly jealous.

The way I saw it. If someone picked someone over me, without ever having a relationship with either one of us, i'd be jealous, but not angry. However, if someone did have a relationship with me, and then stopped the relationship for someone else (esp. someone in a higher rank) I'd be incredibly angry, hurt and jealous. As we see in Kain's character, he is much like the second scenario....

Excuse me while I go and dig up the old thread I read about it on.

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Eh, it's a good theory, but I see it as more of a deal where all three of them grew up together, both fell for Rosa, but Rosa only had feelings for Cecil. I really dont think Kain deeply resented Cecil, there was jealous there because of Rosa, and because of the Dark Knight deal, but it didnt become hatred until Golbez began to manipulate him. And even then, the it wasnt that deeply set, just something easily manipulated by Golbez.

But yeah, it's a neat theory, just dont state it as fact next time. I get confused.

I never said there was a hatred. But an anger and jealousy that I believe was deeply rooted. Golvez/Zemus (who ever controlled Kain, but i believe it was Zemus). And it's much more likely to believe. I don't think Kain would have carried as much anger as he did if it were any other way. He even states to Cecil that he is the better warrior. (Don't remember exact quotes) thus showing his want and belief to be superior to cecil. when he tells Rosa when she is helf captive by Golbez that soon she'll never have to worry about Cecil again(or something, again not sure of quotes), and she pleads to him and he hesitates as he leaves.

BTW: the thread was older than 3 pages back and deleted, checked archives too.

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

I understand. Just make sure you state it's a theory nexttime.

Sure Thing

XD