Thread: by far the dumbest way to cool your comp

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin by far the dumbest way to cool your comp

I was sitting here, getting upset that the a/c was blasting into my face (it gets cold eventually), when a revelation hit me:

I could use the a/c to cool my computer! It has an air vent at the bottom. So I grabbed my computer machine, and put it over the vent. Now cool, hopefully non-dirty air is going into my computer, lowering the core temperature from ~40 C to 29 C (104F to 84F)

Am I doing something destined to ruin my computer for good? My air ducts were cleaned (sparkling clean) just last week, so....

yeah, *shrug*

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Clean the PC out occasionally if it does start getting dusty like mine does wit the case opn like that Your choice whether you do it with the power on or not

29 C is impressive if that's when the PC is also working at 100% load such as when encoding a movie or something
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

I dont think it can do much harm. Even if the air is full of dust, you could always vacuum your computer every now and then. Last week I opened my friend's PC that hadnt been open for the last 4 years. It was incredibly dusty, but it still worked fine (apart from the fact that his video card overheated). But if you keep it clean that wont happen.

U suggest that if your gonna do that then clean out your AC filter every once in awhile.

Blog Entries

Grin

29 is the resting (coolest) temperature. It's up to 34C right now (still good).

Banned

If you're serious about keeping the AC there I suggest OCing your comp to the extreme, with that much core temperature change it'll be able to easily withstand 3x it's current speed eg: 766mhz = 2.33ghz~.

Blog Entries

Grin

um....A/C turns off at night sometimes. This morning I found my hard drive at 59*C (!!!)

If there exists a machine you can put on the ground that shoots cold air upwards, then I'll invest in it. Yes, I was told to overclock by a friend. I have a 2.2 ghz processor, so 3x speed would be...*brain explodes*

...6.6GHz.
    A song sung by ancient Mist...

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Shame it's not physically possible to overclock by that much due to the physical properties of the materials used to make the chip, even with sufficient cooling.
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

Blog Entries

Grin

yes, but if I had control over the a/c, I could run it 24/7 and overclock to 3ghz with no problem, right?

It's still not feasible until I find a room a/c machine, because other people would not understand my need for cold and complain....teehee

so anyway, there's no problem with this method of cooling? Cool (no pun intended)