Thread: An annoying glitch in FF1 Origins?

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

Default An annoying glitch in FF1 Origins?

FF1 Origins (PSX) seems to have a weird glitch. Sometimes when I'm trying to scroll the menus with my directional buttons, the game begins to scroll the menus by itself even though I'm not pressing any button. This is really annoying when trying to select spells or items to use.

For example, this is what has happened when I've wanted my White Wizard to use an item (usually Healing Staff, but also Antidotes at times). The commands go like this: Attack-Magic-Item-Equip-Flee. The command is first at Attack, so I need to press the directional "down" button twice to get to Item command. But when I press down for the 2nd time, the selector thing begins to scroll like crazy (even though no button in my controller got stuck!) and it stops on either Flee or Attack.

I don't know why the above thing happens. I've tried it with different controllers, as well as my keyboard in ePSXe (PlayStation emulator), and I've also tried to play FF1 with both English and Japanese versions. The same glitch happens in every version and controller, and it's quite annoying as it happens in battles every 5 minutes or so. This never happened to me with any other game. Recently I also tried playing FF7 and FF9 both for a few hours, but they worked without any problems.

Does anyone else have this kind of problems with FF1 PSX?
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

No, that never happened to me. I think the cursor scrolls if you hold the Directional button down though. Try just tapping it and see what happens.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

Yes, I have this problem. Sometimes hitting "up" results in the game thinking you hit "upupupupup". I think the auto-scroll delay is too short.

I've actually never had this problem. But you don't seem to be the only one with it.

I don't know what to say. But that is strange.
    I prefer the term "Treasure Hunter".

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

The scroll controls seem to be fairly sensitive. I've had something like that happen. I've also had the targeting cursor jump around from target to target (looks almost like the spell Roulette). It usually happens when I'm trying to select options in a hurry.

That happens to me all the time. It's caused more accidental wrong enemy targetings in battle than I can remember.
    Knock yourselves down.

you guys playing on a ps1 or 2?
    a ps1 dosent seem to have this prob(Slower cpu maybe?)
    the ps2 does(Faster cpu on a game made for a 486 if you look at it.)

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

It happens, but it doesn't bother me too much.

I've noticed the same "glitch" in my game as well. Oftentimes I would be in the middle of battle and the game would automatically scroll quickly thus choosing a different spell that was not what I originally intended on casting.

I'm not surprised however. The PSX version of FFV and FFVI in the Anthologies had some problems as well, but I'm not sure if it was limited just on Relm's sketch bug.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

I wouldn't even compare Origins to Anthology, as the former is near-perfect.