Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supernova: Limit or Summon? Potential Spoilers

Default Supernova: Limit or Summon? Potential Spoilers

What do you think? Limit Break or Summon?

I say it's a limit break... Why exactly would Sephiroth carry around materia at that stage anyway? Besides... it seems Sephiroth has only enough MP to cast Wall on himself. Give him an ether in the middle of battle, and he casts wall again.

Other than that, in Nibelheim, during the flashback, he has materia, but he doesn't actually use his mp...

Another thing, yeah, he does Supernova regardless of how many times you attack him... but he could be set on a time schedule, meaning he'll use it after a certain number of rounds.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Safer-Sephiroth has virtually unlimited MP - he uses spells like Break during the battle, as well as Wall.

Powerful monsters typically don't need to carry Materia in order to use magic. Monsters are a natural 'part' of the Planet, so I guess it's understandable that some can manipulate the Planet's natural forces. Sephiroth was becoming one with the Planet, plus he had the benefit of Jenova's 'superor magic', so he probably didn't need Materia at all by that stage.

Super Nova might be somewhere in between Magic and a Limit Break. It's a powerful assault, undeniably; it causes magical and physical damage, as well as having a strong element of illusion. So it has aspects of nearly every type of attack.

I'm going to think of it as a magical limit-type assault thingy.

Other than that, in Nibelheim, during the flashback, he has materia, but he doesn't actually use his mp...
    He doesn't lose HP, either. They made Sephiroth completely invulnerable for this part of the game, so there's absolutely no way that he can get harmed enough to damage his reputation as 'the greatest warrior ever'.

^~ yeah, I know his hp doesn't go down either... heheh... I just want to know what people think about supernova.

It's a summon because you see the star-type circular things go around evey character before they summon Knights of Round or Typhoon or whatnot. You see the same starlike things around Sephiroth when he summons the nova thing. It's a <lala> ass ed up sign, ya know.

Edit by Kishi: Watch your language.
    "We're gonna liberate Balamb, ya know... I mean... We're gonna liberate Balamb." -Zell

"Remember the time you went in the women's wash..."
    "HEY!" -Quistis and Zell

"Great. I'm the captain of a chicken wuss and a guy who just reached puberty." -Seifer

"So you became the sorceress's lapdog."
    "I'd prefer to be called her knight." -Squall and Seifer

"Hey, maybe we should be careful, Laguna."
    "Hey, what's the worst that can happen?" -Ward and Laguna

"Whoa, I'm glad I told you to be careful."
    "Wasn't that me who said that?" -Laguna and Ward

You had a rather loverly comment until you mentioned the "<lala> ass *skull*ed up sign".

By the way, unless your sig is some sort of joke I don't get, the word is "perfected", not "prefected". However if you did goof, I shall enjoy this moment of irony.

*enjoys*

All right, now then, it's not a summon, it's not from materia, it's not a limit; what it is is Jenova's supreme powers of illusion channeling through Sephi. Recall where it was talked about that she "showed the ancients their dead" all Jenova's power of illusion. Jenova is a master illusionist, and was giving that power to Sephi, who utilized it. If an illusion is powerful enough, it CAN hurt a person.

So there. 'ave that then.

Wightraven: I'm assuming it was just a typo, so you don't need to act all smartarsy over it. And yes I know smartarsy isn't a word... god...

Anyways, it would have been one of Jenova's illusions that Sephiroth would have used against the party. I mean wouldn't you if you had the power to? ~_^

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

I think Super Nova is a Summon. During summoning sequences, the spell caster disappears for the duration of the summon. The same happens when Sephiroth casts it.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryûkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryûkishi

Originally posted by Wightraven
    You had a rather loverly comment until you mentioned the "<lala> ass *skull*ed up sign".

By the way, unless your sig is some sort of joke I don't get, the word is "perfected", not "prefected". However if you did goof, I shall enjoy this moment of irony.

*enjoys*

All right, now then, it's not a summon, it's not from materia, it's not a limit; what it is is Jenova's supreme powers of illusion channeling through Sephi. Recall where it was talked about that she "showed the ancients their dead" all Jenova's power of illusion. Jenova is a master illusionist, and was giving that power to Sephi, who utilized it. If an illusion is powerful enough, it CAN hurt a person.

So there. 'ave that then.
    that would be ok but the only problem is that you kill jenova BEFORE the one winged angel. remember that sephiroth is very powerful by himself.
    as for if it is a summon or a limit break... i wouldn't know.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

The only reason why it might not be a summon is because it's not really a "creature" as such. I mean, Choco Mog, Shiva, Ifrit, Titan, Ramuh, Odin, Kjata, Leviathan, Typoon, Bahamut(and other variants) Hades and KoTR are all living things, and Supernova is just, er well gas or something, I apologise for my lack of supernova knowledge.

But it does make sense, summoning a comet or whatever it is, so I think it's a summon.

I think its a summon. Like someone said before me, Seph dissapears the same way characters dissapear when they summon.

Just like all other summons, he calls upon an "outside force" sure its not a chocobo or a group of knights, but he is " Summoning" the supernova.

The animation is WAY to long.. that is a summon trademark.

Also all Limits in FF7 are based on Damage and even if he doesnt take damage he does Supernova over and over.

I guess the best way to describe it is as a "Special Attack"

Wightraven: I'm assuming it was just a typo, so you don't need to act all smartarsy over it.
    See, mate, but that's the irony though, isn't it? That if it IS a typo, and he's saying he's "prefected" the game, there's irony, right? As he typoed the... o nevermind.

And I do believe Jenova wasn't well and truly dead when you "killed" her that last time. She's rather difficult to do in as memory serves.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Jenova's cells and will lived on in Sephiroth, who consequently has some of her powers of illusion and magic. Supernova, in my opinion, is a powerful magic attack delivered in an illusion.

It's strange... Sephiroth disappears when he casts Super Nova, but once the spell has neared completeion, he's back there, surrounded by its awesome fire, almost like he's basking in the glory of his own destructive creation - or trying to intimidate his foes by appearing invulnerable to a very powerful attack.

I show my children the Supernova spell when it's bedtime and I want them to go to sleep.

Thats a good way to make them crap the bed at night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeza
    This thread did not require Phoenix Down. Do not revive dead threads.

MmM thats a hard 1, i would say you could class is as either and so i would personally call it a special attack that is supposed to strike fear into its enemies hearts. A couple small links i made to it though, jeNOVA, "supernova" comes from the sky, jenova came form the sky. Dunno if it means anything but it does have a link.