Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ?--Aeris or Aerith--?

Aerith is an anagram for "I Earth" , wich is more intresting name (considerating all that numerology/esoteric stuff from the game) , but Aeris sounds better.

Aeris defintely sounds better.
    Lets Biltz

Originally posted by Flying Mullet
    I always call her (SPOILER)sheath, as in sword sheath.
    That has to be the best name I have ever heard for her.

Anyway I say both actually depending on how I feel.
    (SPOILER) he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he! (girly giggle)

I think they both sound great, haha...But I always call call her by English translation name, Aeris. It just kinda stuck to me, as, well, I only played the English version of it, not the Japanese version. But yeah...They both sound like good choices to me. If I wanted to, I could probably switch from one name to the other, or just use one continuously...

But yeah, Aerith does have a lot more meaning to it. SquareSoft Japan had made sure it had meaning to it. But since I pronounce Aeris, "I-Riss", and not, "Air-Ees", the name automatically sounds like the name of a flower. I don't know if that's the proper pronounciation or not, and I don't really mind if it is either, it makes sense, in my opinion.

But both sound just fine to me.

Meat-Free

I usually say Aires... or something...
    From the slaughterhouses to the labs, ALL MUST BURN!

Aeris. Yep. Her default name is Aeris so I call her that. It's just natural. Aeris is more stronger sounding as Aerith. Aerith is just plain delecate.
    "We're gonna liberate Balamb, ya know... I mean... We're gonna liberate Balamb." -Zell

"Remember the time you went in the women's wash..."
    "HEY!" -Quistis and Zell

"Great. I'm the captain of a chicken wuss and a guy who just reached puberty." -Seifer

"So you became the sorceress's lapdog."
    "I'd prefer to be called her knight." -Squall and Seifer

"Hey, maybe we should be careful, Laguna."
    "Hey, what's the worst that can happen?" -Ward and Laguna

"Whoa, I'm glad I told you to be careful."
    "Wasn't that me who said that?" -Laguna and Ward

Yeah, I like saying Aeris better than Aerith too. I never heard of Aeris's name as the other alternative, 'Ealis'. I've never heard of 'Ealis' before.

It's like somethin' outta the Twilight Zone...It's like...Twilight Zoney...

I love to ramble!!!

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I've always used Aerith.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Since I was introduced to her originally as Aeris, that's the name I'll always use.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Originally posted by MJN SEIFER
    Actually I now remember!

TH and S are similar in Japanese!
    Actually, there is no TH in Japanese, so Japanese people usually end up saying S instead...

This begs the question, why did the Japanese include a name they can't even pronounce in their version of the game?!

Personally, I'd happily see the Japanese use Japanese-sounding names 90% of the time, and the rest of the world not translate them at all...

Having said that, I always use Aeris because that'swhat I'm used to.

Barret was Bullet? That makes sense... So the rumours I heard of 7 being rushed are sounding more and more true...

*Runs back to the remake or sequel thread and votes remake - perhaps they'll finish the job this time!*

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

No, Japanese have no sound for 'L' in their language, so they have trouble pronouncing it. A good example is in the Japanese Sailormoon cartoons, they pronounce it 'Sera' (say-ra). Cloud would be pronounced 'Croud' or something to that effect. The fact that they pronounced Aerith as 'Aeris' could have been the reason why it was changed in the English version, again citing Sailormoon as an example (apologies to everyone), the original name of the Moon Queen was 'Selenity', and of course it was pronounced 'Serenity', so when it was dubbed they changed the official English name to 'Serenity'.

¤ misery is a butterfly ¤ Aya Nekoneko's Avatar

It's true that the Japanese have no "th" sound so they use the "s" sound instead. Same thing goes for "Sephiroth" which is pronounced with the "s" in the end instead of the "th" in Japan.

And I personally type using "Aerith" (for the most part...) but it just sounds weird pronounced that way. Like a lisp or something.
    will you shed no tears for broken me?

Yeah, strange... being able to say TH actually makes it sound like a lisp!

Abominatrix, you're right about the lack of an L... but they don't really have an R either... Let me explain...

The japanese have a sound which, when written in roman letters, is written as an R (in fact, they have the letters RA, RI RU RE and RO - all japanese letters end in a, i, u, e or o, with the exception of n which itself is pronounced very softly...)

However, although it is written as an R, it is not quite pronounced the same. The letter it signifies is a cross between an L and an R (I still can't pronounce it myself).

This is why, when Japanese people try to say the letter R, it sounds quite like and L, whilst when they try to say L it sounds much like an R...

Indeed, they do normally pronounce TH as S, V as B and Z as J - this could be awkard for me, as the name I typically use on the net is Zild or Zild Remo!

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

It may be a hybrid, but L is usually replaced by an R or even occasionally a D sound. I havent noticed them to mispronounce R's, but I could be wrong... and if they do mispronounce it, why would they make it sound like an L? Doesnt make sense to me. Ah well, I'll have my friend ask his girlfriend, she's Japanese.