Thread: Face in the ocean

Face in the ocean

I was in the submarine searching for hidden spots when I came across a head (I think) on the ocean floor north of the sunken Walz tower. I didn't know what that was, so I took my friends walkthrough and looked to see if there was anything on it there. And there was. The subject of the paragraph was called "Easter Island?" and it says "...continue north from the tower tower and you'll come across a familiar face on the ocean floor." I don't know what that has to do with "easter island" and the face isn't familiar. Can anybody tell me what it is?
    "The forests sure are quiet..."
    "...but the owls are still there."

A Perpetual X-Phile ShivaBlizzard8's Avatar

The stone face isn't anything in the game other than a decorative thing the designers stuck in there for fun. The "Easter Island" reference in the strategy guide is alluding to an actual island in the Pacific Ocean called Easter Island. The island is famous for its gigantic stone heads which were carved in ancient times by the island's inhabitants. The heads look similar to the face found in FF5 - kind of an in-joke by the designers. I recall someone mentioning that FF designers have included these heads in other Final Fantasy games as well.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, FFVII and VIII, amongst others, included stone heads. VII's was a giant face on the Great Glacier below Gaea's Cliff; in VIII, a succession of invisible stone faces are part of the Mordred Plains sub-quest.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Read the section of this page entitled "The Moai." It answers everything.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yup! Been in the series for quite some time! I am surprised there isn't a Death Star easter egg though since the creators are into Star Wars!