Thread: CD drive speed, and a question about image tags

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin CD drive speed, and a question about image tags

First, the more important question. My CD-ROM drive says 52x24x52x, but it burns at 32x. Okay, so maybe I got a defective product, but....

I copy cds at 700-1000 kbps(KB/s?). What's the deal with that? I ran nero drive speed, and it detected the drive at 40x. It's supposed to be 7000KB/s.

so...what's wrong with my cd drive?

also, for image tags, how do I put that mouse-over text message that typically works when I use the alt="whatever" with html code. How does it work with forum image tags?

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Default Re: CD drive speed, and a question about image tags

Originally posted by Pureghetto
    also, for image tags, how do I put that mouse-over text message that typically works when I use the alt="whatever" with html code. How does it work with forum image tags?
    In a round-about answer to this question, why not use html for your images on the forums? I always use the "img" html tag on the boards.
    Figaro Castle

Blog Entries

Grin

yay, it worked great *thanks*. Now, for the CDrom speed problem....*waits*

Prinny God Recognized Member Endless's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

What brand? (I know why if it's the brand that I think)

And then there is Death

Blog Entries

Grin

I have no idea there's no brand name tag on the front, and 'my computer' doesn't list a brand name (says HL-DL-ST CD-RW GCE-8520B)

Prinny God Recognized Member Endless's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's a LG. (<a href="http://us.lgservice.com/jsp/common/download.jsp?DOC_ID=KROWM000032123&FILE_NAME=KROWM000032123.pdf&ORIGINAL_NAME_b1_a1=GCE-8520B-1040G-ENG.pdf&FILE_GUBUN=I">Drive manual</a>).

From what I could see on their site and from my knowledge of cd-burners:

- Check to see if your drive has dma enabled (right click on "my computer"> devices > device manager then find your drive and click properties and check if dma is enabled.
    - Check to see that the media you're trying to use can withstand that speed.
    - Check that your software has support for that speed.

And then there is Death

Okay... if your drive is 52x, that means the maximum possible data transfer rate is 52 times faster than that for realtime audio (which is about 650Kb/sec) with spindle speeds of about 12,000rpm. When they decide on that 52x24x52x stuff, that's done in a lab where they run the drive flat-out until it dies to find out what it's capable of before they can sell it

But you'll almost NEVAAAAR get it to actually run that fast in your computer. The only time it comes close is when installing ma-hoosive programs from CDs, and don't forget you're also limited by how fast the system can process the data to and from the drive - if it can't keep up you'll have problems. As Master Vivi said, enabling DMA is a good idea - as it's name suggests, it allows the drive to directly stuff information into the memory. This frees up more CPU access time for the rest of the system

If you can reliably copy CDs at 32x, I wouldn't complain that's pretty good. I don't think there's anything wrong with your drive at all. The problem could be that Nero is a pile of wank, I've seen a lot of people have trouble with it... if you need anything better, I may have something useful for you.

Own (verb) - To subject an opponent to a particularly effortless or humiliating defeat (see also: Owned, Ownage, Pwned)

1337 (adj) - 1. To be "elite"; to show great skill. Pronounced "leet". 2. A cypher used by hackers consisting of numbers and ASCII symbols replacing letters.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

1x audio is approximately 150 k/s, actually

I also rarely burn above 8x myself, sine I like my PC to remain responsive whilst burning
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

Blog Entries

Grin

All taken into consideration, though I still transfer at (taking clout's figure) approximately 10x, while I can get 32x on my dvdrom

*shrug* so what I do now is transfer from dvdrom