Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is this hated?

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Originally posted by Kurohime
    You know, I would honestly love to see everyone who complains about things being "too cliche`" try to come up with something that isn't cliche` on their own.
    I'd like to see half the people in this thread accept constructive critisim and accept that not everyone likes the game for good reasons of their own. No one in this thread has mindlessly bashed the game, and so what if we think it's too cliche? It's just a game, not the end of the world. :rolleyes2

Edit: And besides, we arent professionally educated and paid writers. We arent paid to come up with plots, regardless. And heck, maybe Square even wanted it to be that stereotypical? It just doesnt sit right with me, that's all.
    Last edited by TheAbominatrix; 08-01-2003 at 06:30 AM.

The battle system all comes down to opinion, I guess. Some like to be able to customize characters, whereas others prefer to have fixed abilities. If you ask me, the latter creates a bigger challenge.

As for the mini-games, a large number of IX's were sidequests, as opposed to mini-games as such (Stellazzio being an example). However, the mini-games that were there were varied and rewarding. VII far surpasses IX in terms of sidequests, but it doesn't mean that IX's aren't fun.

I'll accept that IX doesn't give you as much freedom as some other games. But if 'freedom' is being forced to complete every single sidequest before disc 4, I'll pass, thank you very much.
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

I have one matching sock PhoenixAsh's Avatar

This isn't anything against Black Mage 121's opinion, as it was one of the more reasonably put forward in this thread. However it was organised in a way that makes it easy to respond to for general purposes.

The battle system all comes down to opinion, I guess. Some like to be able to customize characters, whereas others prefer to have fixed abilities. If you ask me, the latter creates a bigger challenge.
    It would create a bigger challenge if they had the bosses the same strength. They didn't, so it just makes it dull.

As for the mini-games, a large number of IX's were sidequests, as opposed to mini-games as such (Stellazzio being an example). However, the mini-games that were there were varied and rewarding. VII far surpasses IX in terms of sidequests, but it doesn't mean that IX's aren't fun.
    Okay minigames. Card game, fun, pointless. Hippaul, dull, pointless. Skipping, timed version of Hippaul, dull, frustrating, pointless. Fight scene, fun, point, only once and in first hour.

I'll accept that IX doesn't give you as much freedom as some other games. But if 'freedom' is being forced to complete every single sidequest before disc 4, I'll pass, thank you very much
    Err, theres only IX that I know of that does this. VII certainly didn't. VIII had one part of a sidequest that you had to do before disc four. VI did (very slightly), but the game was so open it would have been pretty hard not to. X didn't.

I say what I think. If you disagree, then that is up to you.

You guys need to stop and think what you are saying , yes you dont like ff9 but which one do you like? i mean 4 had the same set up oooo cant switch guys same with 2 . is it me or do you bashers only like ff7 and 8 which were not doubt good games but they have nothing to do with ff9's gameplay.
    Da phat guys
    "call us fat and we kill you"

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

And obviously you dont know much. I hated VIII. VII was okay. IV and VI were my absolute favorites. And, as I said before, we havent bashed anything. We've only stated our opinions. Why must you try and turn it into some kind of war? Is having a different opinion wrong?

Exactly. IX is one of my favourate games, it just falls short of VI, VII, VIII, and X IMO.

People were giving stupid reasons for disliking IX, and claiming that was why people dislike it. We simply tried to give the real reasons.
    If you wanna know why we did this reread the thread title.

[q=PhoenixAsh]It would create a bigger challenge if they had the bosses the same strength. They didn't, so it just makes it dull.[/q]

Bosses the same strength? In FF9 and I have played this game more then any other FF game and I have all but FF3. The bosses are much more powerful then your characters. If you don't spend the time to level up you can never get past the bosses.

[q=PhoenixAsh]Okay minigames. Card game, fun, pointless. Hippaul, dull, pointless. Skipping, timed version of Hippaul, dull, frustrating, pointless. Fight scene, fun, point, only once and in first hour.[/q]

The minigames are fun in FF9.

[q=PhoenixAsh]Err, theres only IX that I know of that does this. VII certainly didn't. VIII had one part of a sidequest that you had to do before disc four. VI did (very slightly), but the game was so open it would have been pretty hard not to. X didn't.[/q]

Well you have played FF8 a lot I bet right. Well in FF8 you have to do all but one of the sidequests before you got to disc 4. Once you got to disc four all the other sidequetst are cut off form you.

In FF9, 7, 6, 5, 4, 2, 1, and even 10 you can still do sidequests even when you get closer to the end of the game.

P.S. I don't hate FF8 in fact it's my Fav FF game.
    A long time fan of Final Fantasy I have always like the Final Fantasy games and I always well.

Bosses the same strength? In FF9 and I have played this game more then any other FF game and I have all but FF3. The bosses are much more powerful then your characters. If you don't spend the time to level up you can never get past the bosses.
    Not true, Excalibur II proves that.
    My point was that people claim customisable characters make the game easier. But the bosses in customisable FFs are much stronger so it doesn't really work like that.

The minigames are fun in FF9.
    ]

Well that's your opinion fair enough. But so are other FFs and they are less pointless with it.
    X is the exception to this where the minigames lead me to think Square were trying to experiment on us.

Well you have played FF8 a lot I bet right. Well in FF8 you have to do all but one of the sidequests before you got to disc 4. Once you got to disc four all the other sidequetst are cut off form you.
    I'm not sure because I usually go for a disc 3 save, but I only know of the CC Quest that is neccessary to complete before disc 4. If you do that everything else is available. You can't do all the actual minigames, but the rewards are there still.

In FF9, 7, 6, 5, 4, 2, 1, and even 10 you can still do sidequests even when you get closer to the end of the game.
    Excalibur II, Mognet(I think), Hippaul, swordfighting, must all be done before disc 4. That leaves chocobos and skipping.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

My only big 'issues' with FFIX were aspects of the characters and the writing. A great game, in my opinion, comparable to VIII, but slightly inferior to VII.

Speaking of opinions, try to respect each others' and refrain from personal attacks.

FF9 is my favorite ff of all time.

[q=PhoenixAsh]Not true, Excalibur II proves that.
    My point was that people claim customisable characters make the game easier. But the bosses in customisable FFs are much stronger so it doesn't really work like that.[q/]

A sword you don't even need proves that?

[q=PhoenixAsh]I'm not sure because I usually go for a disc 3 save, but I only know of the CC Quest that is neccessary to complete before disc 4. If you do that everything else is available. You can't do all the actual minigames, but the rewards are there still.[/q]

No all but one of the sidequests are cut off once you get to dics four of FF8. The tiem change that happens cuts you off form all the citys and areas you coudl go to to do all the sidequests. The CC Quest in justa minigame that does not really need to be played.

[q=PhoenixAsh]Excalibur II, Mognet(I think), Hippaul, swordfighting, must all be done before disc 4. That leaves chocobos and skipping.[/q]

Must if not all sidesquests here can still be done swoedfighting is not ever a sidequest. But it is a minigame that gets you gil if done right.

You said if you don't level up you can't get past the bosses. Excalibur II proves that this isn't true yes.

No all but one of the sidequests are cut off once you get to dics four of FF8. The tiem change that happens cuts you off form all the citys and areas you coudl go to to do all the sidequests. The CC Quest in justa minigame that does not really need to be played.
    Dude cover spoilers. (SPOILER)Okay so what side quests are cut off? I get them all early but I don't see any reason for Odin, Research Facility or Mr. Monkey to be cancelled.

Must if not all sidesquests here can still be done swoedfighting is not ever a sidequest. But it is a minigame that gets you gil if done right.
    Which sidequests? Chocobo, yes. Mognet, maybe but I don't think so.

I own final fantasys VII-X at the moment.I would love to play the others,but right now im broke,so no new games for me...

But sofar,IX is one of my least favories GAMES,and definetly my leas favorite final fantasy.I havent played X enough to drop it in a spot from best to worst.

And why do i not love this game like so many of you fans?...I'll tell you...

One,im a big starwars,sci fi fan,so seven was totaly great for me...but like many siad befor,I was one of the fans introducecd to final fantasy with VII.I hated it.First time i played it i was expecting more along the lines of Legend Of Zelda.I hated it.I put it down,turned off the game and didnt play it again for a week.Know how far i got?I didnt even get ask my name.But after a week,i went back...and gradually,i loved it...By the second disk,i was hooked.The characters were wounderful.Great storys behind them,the storyline had so many twists and turns and forks in the roads...And it wasnt just a 'we need to save the planet' game.You had the revenge of a man for his home,a person trying to get things right in his mind,a person trying to avenge his lost lover,you had a character that wanted to live up to his father...it wasnt a 'oh,this guys growing powerful,he wants to take over the world,lets stop him!' game.There was more to it.

then came 8.Sadly,this was a game i felt was that 'lets stop the big bad guy'.But...you start the game thinking that your going to fight in a war,or just do seed missions,then boom.Not so anymore.They introduce the sorceress and you suddenly think shes the main villan and you have to stop her.You do,then theres another villian you have to stop,again thinking shes the main one.Stop them,and then you relize 'wait...a third one?!'...So many villans!Maybe thats what got me to like this game.That,and the graphics.It was a step up from the blobs in 7(BUT I LIKE THE BLOBS!).

then,finnaly,IX...Whats to say?it was a love story.as was 8.But...moreso.The main character wasnt too serious intill twords the end.The femail leed seemed delicate and unable to protect herself,though she easly thought for herself.This game was good,very very good,but...it wasnt the midevil thing,or the weapons,or much of the characters,or the battle system...It was the story...i didnt much care for it myself..

n o - l o v e - o r - g l o r y
    Goodbyes|Me|Trinity|Us|Mako Eyes
    Mercenary

Okay seriously spoilers for other games are bad. I don't care cos I've played all the ones mentioned, but others haven't.

I'd like to see half the people in this thread accept constructive critisim and accept that not everyone likes the game for good reasons of their own. No one in this thread has mindlessly bashed the game, and so what if we think it's too cliche? It's just a game, not the end of the world.
    *smiles* *shakes Abominatrix's hand* Nerdmo retires from yet another thread, and suggests you all do the same. SWOOSH! *flies off, never to set foot in this thread again*