Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is this hated?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

The main reason I probably didn't like it is because there was a glitch on disc 3 right after 2 boss battles in a row so I never got to beat it. That, and I thought the character design was ugly. Garnet looked like an 8-year-old with boobs.

this game is great
    I really like the fact that u dont have "Blank" characters like in ff7 and ff8..u know you can adept them to your wishes.
    In this game there are really "Healers" "magicians" and ppl with just whoop as (can i say ass on this board..if not sorry ) attack stats.

in a nutshell..

The game rules.
    Which Final Fantasy 8 Character Are You? You are Squall!
    A lone wolf with the weight of the world on your shoulders, you
    may not communicate your feelings to your friends, but you
    are a true friend to those you are close to. In spite of your
    hesitance to warm up to people, you're likely one hot number in
    the eyes of the opposite sex.

Take the Final Fantasy 8 Test here!

Well, I can't say so much because I haven't played it, but from what I've read and seen about FFIX, it seems to be very good.
    The story, the characters, the graphics.
    But I think that people don't like it so much because it's not as 'modern' as VII and VIII. I think I will love this game when I play it (I'll buy it soon ).
    I love VII and VIII, but I still like the 'older' style in IX.

The Tail is cool, leave off it. And yes, I'm a guy. I like the tail. it's quirky

I don't like it because it goes back to a former style that loads of older gamers love. Yes it's meant tyo be a "goodbye" to the series but that doesn't mean it's learning system has to go back, that you have oddball characters from the past

(FF6 had Mogs, FF9 had Quina):mog: I like mogs

Also, as for the "only 2 can use magic" thats rubbish. That makes it more challenging. I like that, but using that is a poor excuse

It is the dark ages. FF8 & FF10 represented the future, with a new look, a new gameplay. A new FF, but ff9 is like a slap in the face. i wanted a new Ff, not a rehashed one.

ff9 has good points, for sure, but it's not great. In fact its BAD but not without good points.,......

FF8 is the best.

"I think you'd make any (nice) woman happy... & I think you really deserve for someone to make you happy too for a change"

Only two use magic?

Dagger, Eiko, Vivi, Quina... that sounds like four to me.

The tail was a bit freaky at the first part. Kinda unexpected. Later on... it was a turn-on. *has a dirty mind*

The tail was cute! ^_^ And yes i'm female, no dirty comments pleez.

I dunno, all in all i thought the game was really good. It was a LOT more up-beat than FF7 and 8 (I'm not saying i don't like ff7 or 8 tho)! Plus, Kuja wasn't your typical bad guy for more than one reason, the main one being: he didn't want to take over the world, he wanted to destroy it. Hell, all the characters were kool in their own weird way

Well, two of them are summons, and I didn't really think about them being 'magic' type deals, but, good point

Lets help Arche-witten rule teh universe!!1!

I scanned some of the posts. Anyone who says the characters are underdeveloped needs to rethink. ONE) this is final FANTASY. Not The Matrix. TWO) The reason the character designer made more non-human races, etc... is for the sole purpose of developing the characters... No, FFIX is not a LOVE theme. It's about LIFE, existence, and it sends a wide message out to all of us who are open-minded. Final Fantasy always has a love element and a nature element. People who dislike 9 is because it doesn't have pretty human brittney spears characters who fall in love with Mark Wahlberg's with sweet looking swords. If you don't like it, don't flame it. Go play FFX, which by far the best love-themed final fantasy yet.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

What does character development have to do with the genre? Fantasy or sci-fi, it doesnt matter, character development is character development. The non-human races werent for development of the characters, but for the development of the world they live in.

People who dislike 9 is because it doesn't have pretty human brittney spears characters who fall in love with Mark Wahlberg's with sweet looking swords.
    Oh yes, that's totally why all of us who dislike it feel that way. I'm glad someone could finally see through all those reasons we listed.

And 95% of the people in here arent flaming the game at all, regardless of their stance. It's a discussion, not a debate.

You're hard as a rock... I didn't explain the non-human thing because i figured people were smart enough to understand it. Vivi wasn't human and questioned his existance... He didn't believe he existed in the world because he wasn't normal, and all the other black mages were robot-like. It helps the theme of life to have varying within life. If Zidane was normal, well, that would through the theme of life out the window... The central idea is that everyone exists for a reason, and it brought up questions throughout the game about the central message, which revolves around Vivi. I take it you haven't played all the way through the game. The non-human characters were essential to establish the feelings of isolation and insecurity (Not all of them though.) Some of the non-human characters were also added for comic relief such as Quina. I don't know about you but i knew all of the characters front to back when i finished the game, unlike in 8, which was good nonetheless.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Excuse me? There's no need to insult me because you worded things wrong. That's not character development on the whole, Vivi's character development doesnt change because of who he is, the development comes with the experiences they go through. And you just said what I said... it furthered the development of the world. Of the overall feel of the game. That effects the character development of the others but is not, in and of itself, the character development of the individuals.

FFIX, FFVIII spoliers ahead.

I was listening to Smashing Pumpkins when I read some comments that disturbed Billy Corgan's voice in "Appels & Oranjes". I was not happy, that is a great song. As of such....here I am........

If you don't like it, don't flame it. Go play FFX, which by far the best love-themed final fantasy yet.
    Excuse me? I don't like FFIX, and i haven't flamed it once. I've discussed WHY I don't like it. And if you were paying attention, not all of us hate it because it isn't about love. And I own FFX, which is just a exercise i making nice graphics. It feels too linear to feel like a FF, since you only go to about 10% of the world. And as for the love in that, it (IMO) wasn't as moving as FFVIII. Except the end of it, which was moving in some ways.

People who dislike 9 is because it doesn't have pretty human brittney spears characters who fall in love with Mark Wahlberg's with sweet looking swords
    Once again, you're FAR too assuming. FFIX isn't poor because the characters don't look like that. And FFVIII is the only one with a major LOVE element, FFX was more to do with the burdens on a person. Yuna has to live up to her father. Tidus has the burden of his father. Wakka feels the burden of Chappu's death.....etc. (At least, thats what i think)

The central idea is that everyone exists for a reason, and it brought up questions throughout the game about the central message, which revolves around Vivi. I take it you haven't played all the way through the game.
    1.Everything TheAbonimatrix said about Character development

2.I have played through the game. Twice. 1st time was when i bourght it when it came out. 2nd was recently, when i went back to make sure what i had said was right.
    *completes FFIX* "Yeah I was right. That was crap"

he didn't want to take over the world, he wanted to destroy it
    But taking control was his first objective. It was only when he found out he was going to die did he lose it and want to destroy the world.

Some of the non-human characters were also added for comic relief such as Quina. I don't know about you but i knew all of the characters front to back when i finished the game, unlike in 8, which was good nonetheless.
    Why would you want to play with a character for comic relief? This is a serious story, in a fantasy world. Why would anyone want to play as a loser that doesn't acheive anything, and has his mind centred on one thing?
    By doing that, it destroyed something linking all the characters. In FFVII, Shinra brought them together, FFVIII they were all children in a Orphanage.
    FFIX's characters wearn't linked.
    Yes I realise you could say they were linked within the Crystal and the world and blahahahaha
    What I mean is that they might have felt that they wearn't part of things in the world and they were (Except Quinia ) but the lacked chemistry. Only the main 4 (Zidane, Garnet, Steiner & Vivi) had a resemblence of a connection (with their personality and relationship with each other)
    Crappy Character development=Crappy Characters

But I think that people don't like it so much because it's not as 'modern' as VII and VIII.
    I like FFV & FFVI. And I love FFII. Hardly modern are they?

I've said this before, but felt i have to say it again.....
    The reason why i hate it is....*Drum Roll* because ity's a step backwards for the FFs. Why, well, FFV began the revolution, the revolution that is CUSTOMISATION. Then FFVI upped it, and FFVII improved it even more. But still, they were trapped. They were still like the other FFs, but dressed up. FFVII was the pinacle of the former FFs. FFs that were restricted to leveling up, and the such

Before I say anything. Think back. To the greatest triumphs of mankind ,the invention of cars,penicillin,landing on the moon,cracking our genetic code in our DNA,introduction of cloning. All these accomplishments have one thing in common. Before and after it, all these moments were met with furious and scathing debate from people. Resquiste of our existence is to dispute and toll over everything that might advance our civilization.

And thats what we did over Final Fantasy VIII. Yes, it essentially gave a middle finger to all the usual RPG staples. Weapon shops meant nothing, magic was woven into the stats (therefore, discouraging you to use it) and money no longer spilled out of dead monsters.

These are the things that people hate (As well as hate Squall and Rinoa, and the theme, and the Junctions system, and.......basically everything) And why, you cannot deny that it's opening was fantastic, that the clothes were different, and it was different. That why people hate it, it's becasue it's different.

Now, the reason I hate FF9 is becasue it didn't continue the series, it went backwards. Gone was the middle finger and was replaced with a peace signal. I no it was a lookback, but it stopped the wheels turning of revolution. And thats why I hate it, because I could have bourght it years ago, with less prettier graphics, and it would have still played the same. It wasn't a change, it was the same. And thats why you like it.

------------------------------------------

Now I'm finnished, I'll get back to listening to Smashing Pumpkins. First it's ADORE, then MELLON COLLIE & INFINITE SADDNESS, SIAMESE DREAM & then PISCES ISCARIOT. Good day.

In you I see dirty
    In you I count stars
    In you I feel so pretty
    In you i taste God
    In you I feel so hungry
    In you I crash cars
    ~Ava Adore

And you never know you're sure
    But you're sure you could be right
    If you held yourself up to the light
    and the embers never fade
    in your city by the lake
    the place where you were born
    ~Tonight, Tonight

King of the horseflies, dark prince of death
    his tragic forces are heaven sent
    in sweet things, in a lvers breath
    in knowing this was meant to be the last
    ~Where Boys Fear To Tread

Disarm you with a smile
    and cut you like you want me to
    cut that little child
    inside of me and such a part of you
    ~Disarm

Get me a Raygun
    Get me some altitude
    ~Pissant

----------------------------

Oh yeah, FF8 rocks

"I think you'd make any (nice) woman happy... & I think you really deserve for someone to make you happy too for a change"

*shrugs* some people like it, some don't. As long as you have a good exuse for hating it, that's fine.

If you say its crap B cos it has "cartoony graphics" ...well...geez. Didn't anyone ever teach you not to judge a book (er...game) by its cover?

Scatter, Senbonzakura... DocFrance's Avatar

Originally posted by Legolas63 I've said this before, but felt i have to say it again.....
    The reason why i hate it is....*Drum Roll* because ity's a step backwards for the FFs. Why, well, FFV began the revolution, the revolution that is CUSTOMISATION. Then FFVI upped it, and FFVII improved it even more. But still, they were trapped. They were still like the other FFs, but dressed up. FFVII was the pinacle of the former FFs. FFs that were restricted to leveling up, and the such
    Who said that customization was some sort of "revolution," and that FF should be continually progressing towards even more and more customization? You say FFV started this "revolution?" Hardly. FFII probably had the most customization ability available. FIII had a great deal as well. And even FFX could be seen as a step back, because while everyone could eventually learn an ability like Armor Break, it took a lot less time and effort for Auron to learn it than it did for Yuna. Besides, if you have every character activate every node, they'll eventually become nearly identical. Stuff like that requires no thought or strategy. In FFIX, you think Hmmm... I'm going to need some sort of healer, a good physical attacker, and some black magic... So I'll take Eiko, Steiner, Vivi and Zidane... but Vivi hasn't learned to many abilities, and his level is pretty low... I'd better go train him.... In other games, you think Well, I'll just make everyone fit into the mold that I want them to. Need a healer? Bring Cloud, since he's obviously a white mage. Need some strong attacks? Relm can do that quite well. Do you see what I mean?
    ARGUMENT FROM GUITAR MASTERY
    (1) Eric Clapton is God.
    (2) Therefore, God exists.

The reason it isnt my favourite is that it had something missing from the feeling