Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is this hated?

Default Why is this hated?

All right... I'm not here to flame anybody at all, but I feel like everyone hates FFIX. This game is one of my most favorite Final Fantasy games. I don't understand why people hate it so much. The music is great, the gameplay is great, and the storyline is great. I wish people would appreciate it more. Am I the only one who likes this Final Fantasy???

I love FF9 too, but I guess the reason so mnay people dislike it is cause it wasn't some were expecting. Thtas the way I was I tryed it when it first came out I was like "This is crap!" "Thats Stupid! whydoes he have a tail." And also Zidane wasn't your typical hero type. Thats what I think. People where think it was going to be something else then what it was. I don't really think that many people hate FF9 it just they think it's just alright and nothing great.
    (SPOILER) he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he! (girly giggle)

I liked this game a lot. So far it's my favorite FF that I've played on the playstation series. Nice for the series to go back to the midevil feel again.

I think people dislike it though because FFVII and FFVIII got so many fans to the game and those people were tech fans who thought FF had to be all tech based and sci fi'ish and hated the idea of a midevil FF. Of course that's just what I think is the reason why.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Actually, people have certain tastes. Some hated X while some loved it, some think VI is crap when others (like me) think it's the best game ever made.

For me, IX was far too campy and cliche. The characters were stereotypical, and the quests were the same. There were too many random battles, and the 'abilities' system was a serious pain in the ass. I found most of the characters annoying, and I hated their designs.

*shrugs* Like what you want, hate what you want. It's a valid opinion no matter what.

Although it's true that many people hate FF9, there are others who still appreciated the game. I myself was glad to experience another medieval FF that had not been seen since FF5/FF6. Some people disliked the "childish" graphics that made up the game and therefore regarded it as bad. The game is actually pretty good. Other people should give it a chance. When I saw FF8 I hated it immediately, but then after playing it I instantly became a fan. The same can happen with FF9. Even though there are loads of people who hate this game remember that there are still those few who like it.

A large number of people who played the game had been introduced to the series through VII and VIII. They expected more of the same, and didn't receive it. IX could not have been more different from it's Playstation predecessors. That pretty much cut off half the fanbase.
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

It's the same as me and FFVIII. I hate it while others love it.

I absolutely LOVE the game!! <3~
    I remember one of my friends telling me that he didn't like the game the minute he saw Zidane.. said he looked like a 2 feet tall monkey. I felt like giving him a kick right there.
    The character design of FFIX is awesome, and the storyline's so beautiful as well.. there really isn't much of a reason to hate such a fantastic game imo. =]

*We were put on this earth to brighten the lives of others*

~*Sapphire*Stardust*~

omg like ff9 sux0rz and ff7 is the best g4|\/|3 ev4r! zidane is gay and kuja is gay and ppl lok lke kidz in t3h g4|\?\3!!!1

ff9 sux0rz!!111

Good god, that took me longer to type than a normal sentence would. <_< Heh.

Most people I know who don't like FF9 are diehard FF7 or FF8 fans. They're all horrible, horrible, no good people, I tell you! They derserve to be dressed in purple thongs and strung up on a rope by their toes for Bahamut to Magaflare! :P

Ahahhhahaha!

Naw, I just think that they don't like FF9 because it's different that what they like and they have their preferences. Personally, it's my favorite game. Ever. Best. Game. Ever.

Can't convince me otherwise.

It r0xors!! :P

Turning the fantasy into SOME sort of reality... o_O

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

Originally posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
    Kishi could be right, but I think there are still some people who hate FF9 and have a valid reason to hate it. But a big majority of FF9 bashers are people who hate it for only one purpose: so that they'd have something to whine about. They can't even give proper reasons for why they don't like it. If they're asked why they don't like it, they post something like Kurohime said (usually containing bad language, f-words and calling things gay):

Originally posted by Kurohime
    omg like ff9 sux0rz and ff7 is the best g4|\/|3 ev4r! zidane is gay and kuja is gay and ppl lok lke kidz in t3h g4|\?\3!!!1

ff9 sux0rz!!111
    Another reason for disliking FF9 would be Chibifobia. Lots of people see FF9's cute and cartoony graphics and think it's some childish crap without even giving it a chance (I've seen this happen with Kingdom Hearts as well). I even remember someone who's never played FF9 or seen its gameplay, but he said it sucks because he had seen a few cartoonish pictures, which already made the game suck. That's some real good reasoning, indeed. :rolleyes2

Bahamut2000X and Black Mage 121 also stated some of the reasons why some people didn't like it. I myself started FFs with FF7 and I played FF8 before playing FF9, but I still loved FF9. It's my 2nd favorite FF (2nd only to FF7), and I really didn't care about the change to Medieval style. In fact, I thought it was pretty good variety because futuristic sci-fi isn't always that fun at all. But instead of looking superficially at graphics, character designs and other things like that, I tried to look beyond the surface.

And what did I find when trying to look beyond the surface? I found a great, epic and deep storyline with characters full of personality and individuality, and they're also battle-wise different from each others, instead of everyone being clones of themselves... and instead of everyone being demi-gods who deal 999,999,999 damage with physical attacks, have 1 million HP, can fully heal the entire party, summon, use offensive magic, status magic, blue magic etc.

Another thing I also loved was the musical score. Because the game was set on a Medieval world, the music also reacts to that. There's loads of music that sound like musical scores from both baroque and romantic eras. FMVs are also accompanied by fully orchestral music pieces. BTW, FF9's soundtrack is the biggest FF (or Square) soundtrack ever: it has 152 tracks!

Finally, I'd like to say: to each their own, but if someone wants to trash FF9, I wish they at least gave some proper reasons instead of just calling it "f-ing childish gay monkey s**t".
    Last edited by Sefie1999AD; 08-02-2003 at 09:34 PM.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

I don't particularly feel like reading all that's been said, especially Mr. Details up there, but I'll add my name to the list of folks what like FFIX. It's my second fave.

Zidane is horrible. The tail sux. Still I have put in almost 40 hours in less than a week.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Yeah, it's hard to get into a game with an annoying main character like that.

Edit: For me at least.

For me, IX was far too campy and cliche. The characters were stereotypical, and the quests were the same. There were too many random battles, and the 'abilities' system was a serious pain in the ass. I found most of the characters annoying, and I hated their designs.
    What isn't cliched these days? Skies of Arcadia is one of the most cliched RPG's ever, but many people consider it to be one of the best ever because of how it is executed. FFVII, FFVI, FFVIII, and FFX are all cliched, so to call FFIX cliched isn't really fair IMO because it's not like it is the only game out there that is cliched.

Yeah and a good number of them are graphics whores who dislike the Kiddy graphics the game has.
    Currently playing:
    Suikoden (Psx)
    World Series Baseball 2k3(PS2)
    Splinter Cell (PS2)