Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mythology References

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

What about the Sphinx? (I think I remember the details) It was a mythical creature with a lion's body and a human face, that would lie outside the gates of Thebes and quiz people who passed:

"What walks on four legs in the morning, two legs at noon, and three legs in the evening?"

People who answered wrong got devoured, until Oedipus came along and answered correctly. Then he got to become king and marry Jocosta, the queen (who was unbeknownst to either of them, his mother).

Of course science and exploration have displayed mythology to a certain extent, since many myths were attempts to explain natural phenomena:

"Lightning means Zeus is mad and throwing thunderbolts."

"It's winter because Persephone is in the underworld and Ceres is greiving."

I doesn't see these explainations as foolish. People have always wondered why things happen and mythology was a way to explain things.

Where was the Sphinx in FF8?

"You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same." - - Jonathan Davis

I belive there was a Sphinx-like creature in Ultimecias castle.
    Picking a lock is much like picking your nose; if you're successfull you're gonna end up with some sort of reward.

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Sphinxaur guards the main entrance hall in Ultimecia's castle. *Spoiler* If you pummel it enough, it turns into Sphinxara, sort of a 2-in1 boss.

Originally posted by neeber
    I belive there was a Sphinx-like creature in Ultimecias castle.
    Oh yeah... But like you said 'Sphinx-like', not the actual thing itself. Anyway...

"You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same." - - Jonathan Davis