Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More fantasy...

Default More fantasy...

I truly hope that FFXII brings the back the fantasy feel of the games. No machines, just swords and magic. Its is a fantasy game, afterall. Also I want better voiceacting that doesnt embarass me when I here it. In 10 I almost turned off the TV because it was so dumb.
    These are my opinions, please respect them.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Machines have always been a part of Final Fantasy. Devices like airships and submarines and even robots have been around since the very first game.

Truly... FF9 was the real odd man out in the series in that it didn't include such things.

i only played a bit of FFX, but i got the impression that the voice acting was at least decent. Perhaps i hadn't yet seen enough...

(-o-)

-tie fighter

FFX's voice acting was more than decent, it was just poorly mixed. Well, okay, so it didn't match their lips at all, and the talking sounded more like multiple sound clips put together than a conversation.

SPOILERS ABOUND

What you're denying, Blanco, is that FF9 DID have that stuff, especially toward the end. Remember Terra...? Clones, anyone? The Invincible?

In fact, 5 had space/time travel, and even 2 had a bit. The inside of the Dreadnaught was quite high tech, at least by the standards of what we had back then. 4 as well.

So basically, while the whole series has become much more tech oriented, none of the games have ever been completely fantasy. Technology has always been an underlying theme. I just hope they go back to that, with it being an "underlying theme" rather than the main focus.
    Elionai Eli Adullam

i see what you all are saying but i personally like all the technology

my favorite ff games are vii and viii

mostly for the stories

and those are probably the two most technologicly advanced settings for ff

i never played the first ones though...
    i started witth 7... played all the way up till 10....beat all of them atleast once(except for ten because my playsttaion went defunct )

then went back and played 5-6
    and tactics

i blather what the fuuk am i talkin about

Whoops, I don't think that post really said what I wanted to say. I don't know what I was thinking when I posted that... What I meant was that for XII I want it to have the feel of a fantasy game, like more adventure, and everything bigger. Like a huge city that towers over you, and actually looks like a city. Not like what was in 10, just supposedly large cities where you could only explore or see the part of it where you have to go in order to progress through the town. It needs more exploration. It can have machines and all that, but everything need to be in larger scale. Also it needs a OVERWORLD again, and you need to pilot vehicles and ride chocobos over large distances. Now that I think about what I was saying, I realize that a fantasy game CAN have technology. The definition of the word "fantasy" in the webster's dictionary is "imagination" or "product of an imagination. Final fantasy is the product of a video game team's imagination, so I think it is fantasy. But the term I was looking for is "fantastic" or "unbelievable." Things or people who just make you go "WOW!" and make you feel like you are actually there in that land, trying to defeat sin or hunt down Sephiroth. I am not denying that the past final fantasy games are really really great games, its just I believe a videogame like this with a reputation can be brought to such heights that will amaze the gaming world. This also applys to any other videogame.

And, OK, maybe Final Fantasy's 10's voiceacting wasn't SO bad, but it still annoyed me like no tommorow. I agree with what some other guy said about different voice samples that didn't really mix.

Hmm......Now I wonder if any of that even makes any sense. I probably contradicted myself a few times...

Note: Did I just write all that? Wow, I musta been bored.

I'm so glad you added that...

Fantasy to me (and according to BuffaloFantasy, the dictionary) means "imaginary". It's probably through various fantasy role-playing games (naming none in particular) that fantasy is associated with dragons, magic, swords etc...

To say that machines are non-fantasy is a bit weird. One could easily say that humans (or even living creatures) are not fantasy.

Swords are not fantasy.

These things exist in the real world.

In fact, one could argue that the machines, the "un-fantasy" portion that you wanted removed are even more of a fantasy than the swords and creatures...

Swords exist, creatures of much diversity exist. But much of the technology in FF is far from what exists on our planet.

BuffaloFantasy: I know you retracted your statement, I'm not trying to argue with you. I'm merely trying to explain my viewpoint. That is as follows...

The machines of the FF interest me probably more than things like swords or strange creatures, etc... although they are technology, they are far removed from what we use in the real world. These to me show some interesting fantastical (?) conversions of modern technology. In fact, the marriage between magic and machine (particularly in 7) was VERY ppealing to me.

I'm not saying there should be more machines, but I'm definitely not saying there should be less either!

On a side-note, does it seem like they tried to remove machines from 10? The whole thing about Yevon banning machina may have caused a lower level of mechanisation compared to earlier FFs, or perhaps it may have been used as the result... Though I believe the former.

That said, I like the point about some machina being okay (I can't remember for certain, but would the stadium at Luca required a lot of technology?)

A classical example of the hypocracy of religions...

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

It would be awesome in FFXII if you could start a pimping ring to get your extra money! Think about it. Every town you go to you just get a few girls and start pimpin' them. Thats extra cash flow. If they don't pay up go pay them a visit and maybe kill one of them. It would be like the SeeD salary in FF8...except this is in addtion to cash you have from battle and its pimpin'!

Ya know, I understand what's being said about fantasy, but I'm thinking of Fantasy as a genre. I understand that the word fantasy has been twisted from what it means, just as so many other words have (cool, hot, for examples.). Still, though, I'd like a little less technology. To be honest, I love the tech, and I had no problem with VII or VIII, it's just that the latter had a little too much tech., and it makes one wonder what the point of swords was exactly. Okay, so they explained that, but still they seemed out of place. Tech is cool, I just don't want the game based around it or to have too much of it. Ya know, kind of like IX, where it had alot of "Fantasy" setting, and then a bit of tech setting at the end. I'd like a little more tech than IX, but still, it's the best example.
    Elionai Eli Adullam

I'd like to note that "fantasy" isn't just about swords and magic, it's about the imagination. You ever heard of Sci-Fi? That's fantasy. You can't seperate "fantasy" as it's own genre and give "tech" an opposite side.

I don't know why people think the word "fantasy" means JUST swords, magic, etc. But I'd also like to note that I would love more mysterious places, without technology. With nice swords, magic etc.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Maybe you've just proven why they always say "fantasy" (aside from various, highly-popular fantasy RPGs that have minimal tech...)

As soon as you say tech, people know what you mean... But there is no single word that describes swords, magic, dragons etc as tech does cars, airships, guns and so forth... Perhaps the more correct term should be sci-fi

Since there is no word for "fantasy" as it has been called so often, people have adopted fantasy most likely because of those popular games.

In fact, despite what I've said before the whole fantasy genre seems to be divided into two main groups - sci-fi and "fantasy"... (plus of course those which include both.)

It would be strange if no parellel of sci-fi existed, but it can also be awkward at times because that chosen word happens to have two related but different meanings...

Stupid English language

Yeah, heh, that's true. It'd be a whole lot easier if they classified it as 'medieval fantasy' with swords and magic and such, and 'sci-fi'. Meh, I guess it's upto the person then, just make sure you people explain it clearley.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Default Re: More fantasy...

Originally posted by BuffaloFantasy
    I truly hope that FFXII brings the back the fantasy feel of the games. No machines, just swords and magic. Its is a fantasy game, afterall. Also I want better voiceacting that doesnt embarass me when I here it. In 10 I almost turned off the TV because it was so dumb.
    These are my opinions, please respect them.
    You want all Final Fantasys to be exauly the same huh? That sucks!

It would be boring..... And I liked the voices on FFX, Yuna's makes me horny....

Riiight.... Anyway, they need to just stop making FF games... seriously. Eight through Ten have been less than stellar (I'm being nice here), and they just need to quit before they run the series completely into the ground. Of course, with Ten-Two (what a horrid name) coming out, it might be a little too late for that.... Square needs to focus on other series, like the Chrono or Mana series.
    Eventhough I think they should stop making immediate Final Fantasy games, I don't think they should stop with Tactics or Crystal Chronicle. Tactics was well deserving of a few sequels, and I have high hopes for Crystal Chronicle.