Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Why FFIX is the Worst FF EVER!

I personally love 9's batte/abuility system. The funnest parts of the game are getting new weapons, which rarely happens in 8. The junction system left me in a daze for hours. I still dont fully get it. However, 9's equipment system was easy to figure out after a while. It took me a while at first, but once you get it down, your rip roarin' and ready to go!
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

KURO!!! Shed some light on this thread with your amazingly uber FF9 speech (Yes I do mean the one from Q9D!!!!11ONE)

www.quad9dyne.com
    *falls off chair laughing*

Default Re: Why FFIX is the Worst FF EVER!

Originally posted by Legolas63
    Why have I said that? Well, it's because it is. Here's the reasons.

1)ITS TOO EASY
    Surely an FF is a quest, an epic that you can explore and get hours and hours out the main quest alone. A quest where you have to train until strong enough to beat the many monsters that stand in your way. Not with FFIX. On my first play though, I beat Necron at level 32 with Zidane. I got to the 3rd disc in 16hrs. What is the point in that? I spent Ł40 on a game, and a Final Fantasy and I can almost complete in less then a day!

2)CHARACTERS
    Are whimsical, pointless and 2D good enough. These words describe them perfectly.

3)MAGIC SYSTEM
    Is very clever, but way too easy. What happened to the deep junction systems in FFVII FFVIII & FFX? Was FFIX the poor, lazy brother out of these epics?

And these are just a few reasons.
    Discuss.
    If you hate it so much why do you have Vivi's picture.

Default Re: Re: Why FFIX is the Worst FF EVER!

Originally posted by playaGAW
    If you hate it so much why do you have Vivi's picture.
    If you noticed, I said that a few posts ago :laugh:
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

FFXIV Character

Gamina Condoin (Sargatanas)

I really liked it because it reminded me of Final Fantasy Tactics.

I was too confused by FFVIII(8)'s junction system so i never used it and hated that game......

OOC:Hey Vincent06 are you ever gonna answer my PM's.....Just wondering......PM me PLZ.
    Last edited by Nakor TheBlue Rider; 09-14-2003 at 09:55 AM.

Default My reply

For all you disbelivers...I have VIVI's picture because i thought he was a good character. I forget to say that. ALL the rest were rubbish and pointless. Vivi had emotions, deep thoughts and was generally a good charater. However, the rest are boring. Zidane loved Garnet? Well it was difficult to tell because he was so unintresting a character, I couldn't care. Compare him to Tidus's & Yuna love of FFX and you'll see my point.

FFVII's materia system is deep, because it was the first of it's type in the series. It was the first steps towards FFVIII's imense junction system. FFIX's is a step backwards, a system so easy, you could do it blindfolded.

Minigames were also unintresting. SKIPPING? Repetitive button bashing. So was running. The only intresting one was frog catching, but even that was marred by Quina Quen, one of the most S*** characters to ever exist.

As the style, its different. I like that, it is a look back at FFs before and so the style is a rapid departure to FFVIII's futuristic style.

As for you Kuja lovers, you can find Kuja nestling in the room at Square's HQ under "Waste Of Time". Deep. the dude is a homicidal maniac for no reason, except he wants to find his origins. So starting a war on a planet is a good reason to do that. Why didn't he find those elemental guardians, kill 'em and go Terra? Because that would be stupid. As is kuja. He is a cross dresser and probably sounds like a girl.

Battle System is next. Trance is a rubbish replacement to Limits. Because it could annoy how you'ld be saving it up and you get hurt, and have to use it againist a little creature. it should have been made optional when you select it.

I might hate FFIX, but this is my opinion. I admit, it is better than most games and I should be happy with it. But I'm not. Not to be spoilt, but it is like a poor cousin of the series, one that taints the whole family.

"I think you'd make any (nice) woman happy... & I think you really deserve for someone to make you happy too for a change"

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Re: My reply

Minigames were also unintresting. SKIPPING? Repetitive button bashing. So was running. The only intresting one was frog catching, but even that was marred by Quina Quen, one of the most S*** characters to ever exist.
    I thought the minigames were a really high point in this game. Right near the beginning was the fighting bit where you had to press the buttons at the right time, I thought that was so much fun it made me love the game the moment I started it.
    As well as skipping, and frog catching which weren't my favourite games, who could forget... Chocobo Hot and Cold!
    This game was wicked. It took hours and hours of my playing time up plus it was just so damn fun! I don't think I've ever smiled so much in an FF, than the moment my chocobo turned red and could climb mountains

Then there was that other little game, I don't know what it's called but you have the three brothers (ahhh forgot their names too *looks in strategy guide*) It called "a game of cups" in here, the brothers change places and you guess where one is. I love those sorta games

Plus there was the challenge of finding Stellazio coins, the festival of the hunt, the hippaul racing, the pop quiz with the ragtime mouse, the auction...

FFIX was packed with mini games and that's one reason why it's my favourite Final Fantasy

One thing I will agree with you on - I didn't like trance, it always seemed useless to me, because it disappeared at the end of battle if you didn't use it, and it never seemed to come at the right time. I would have preferred the usual sort of limit breaks, or overdrives.

but it is like a poor cousin of the series, one that taints the whole family
    I think FFIX is a pinnacle to the series, it has references to the entire series, it is like a celebration of the series, it's a wonderful fantasy experience. And.. I just love it
    Last edited by Xander; 09-09-2003 at 10:34 PM.
    rawr

Originally posted by Xander
    One thing I will agree with you on - I didn't like trance, it always seemed useless to me, because it disappeared at the end of battle if you didn't use it, and it never seemed to come at the right time. I would have preferred the usual sort of limit breaks, or overdrives.
    thats just one of the things that make the game harder. you must spend time fighting to get it just at the right spot so that you will trance at the boss.

i looove ff9. i think it is one of the best because characters actually had feelings. not like cloud who has no personality at all or squall is just a prat who thinks he is too cool for everything.

of course there are some things i find boring. like kujas endless dialogue about nothing. e.g the invincible but there is no such thing as a perfect game.

time for a pint....

Just because Cloud wasn't a "happy camper" doesn't mean he had no personality. It was explained very well why he was the way he was. Not like Squall, who was pretty much a bitch for the sake of being a bitch.
    As for the Trance Vs the Overdrive or Limit Breaks, they're all pretty much the same thing if you ask me, just with different names. I didn't mind that it took so long to Trance, I did mind how it dissapeared if you didn't use it.
    It was a good RPG, but unfortunatly it has the name "Final Fantasy" on it, and it just doesn't compare with games like Final Fantasy IV, V, VI or VII. Oh, and one more thing... Vivi owns you all.
    Last edited by Kenshin IV; 09-10-2003 at 07:25 PM.

I have one matching sock PhoenixAsh's Avatar

Squall's personality was explained very thoroughly, and it had nothing to do with being cool whatsoever.

Trance sucked. It cleared status ailments, which was about the only upside it had.

Some minigames were decent, but given they came after Snowboarding, Road Rash, Submarine battles, a strategy game, a GOOD card game, an early version of Hot and Cold, an early version of the fight (with a far cooler scene attached), they were really nothing special.

I say what I think. If you disagree, then that is up to you.

FFXIV Character

Gamina Condoin (Sargatanas)

i think i tranced at most 10 times through the whole game.......

thats dumb....

but.....when i tranced i did massive damage......almost too much though......

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I wasn't into many of the mini games in FFVII, I didn't really like submarine battles or the motorbike one, and chocobo breeding was hard

And I preferred the card game in FFIX to that of FFVIII! Plus the music was 10x better lol. Although I never really played FFVIII's card game much.

But still the mini games rocked in FFIX in my opinion, as did the game and I think it deserves the Final Fantasy title. It's great in it's own right, maybe we should stop comparing the games so much....

But I agree Vivi is my favourite character from any FF so far
    rawr

Sigh, why do people still try and protect FFIX.

Music of FFIX. Theme was good, Loss Of Me was fine, and I love the music on Terra. But it's not GOOD enough. Think about it, Eyes On Me in FFVIII was powerful, enchanting and deep. Melodies of Life is the stuff you scrape off the inside of a Chip Pan. World Map Music was also Dire.

Mini Games....Chocobo Hot & Cold was fine, but it lacked the fun that FFVII's chocobo racing had. As for the others, it just was you pressing X and correct points, talking to Mogs at the right points and doing random actions. Not a Minigame, but a exercise in pressing X,X,X,X,X.X over and over

Battle system. With the differing characters, there were ones you liked, and ones you NEVER played as. Because you did that, they were weaker characters anyway, because they alredy had distictive battle personalites.

Is there anything I haven't covered YET?

"I think you'd make any (nice) woman happy... & I think you really deserve for someone to make you happy too for a change"

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Er..simple answer, because they like it. You post a thread about why you don't like FFIX your going to get opinions from people who liked it as well. That makes a discussion! Anyway I don't think they are trying to "protect" it, I think they just like it

Music of FFIX. Theme was good, Loss Of Me was fine, and I love the music on Terra. But it's not GOOD enough. Think about it, Eyes On Me in FFVIII was powerful, enchanting and deep. Melodies of Life is the stuff you scrape off the inside of a Chip Pan. World Map Music was also Dire.
    Who decides what is "good enough"? Again you are setting a standard which doesn't exist, not trying to argue with you but I *liked* Melodies of Life a lot! I also loved the World Map music. I liked Eyes on Me too, but the soundtrack to IX is one of my favourites and I hope to buy it soon..
    Didn't Nobuo Uematsu compose both of these songs (Eyes on Me and Melodies of Life) in which case you are complimenting one of his songs and totally insulting another.

Mini Games....Chocobo Hot & Cold was fine, but it lacked the fun that FFVII's chocobo racing had. As for the others, it just was you pressing X and correct points, talking to Mogs at the right points and doing random actions. Not a Minigame, but a exercise in pressing X,X,X,X,X.X over and over
    Chocobo Hot & Cold was more fun to me than chocobo racing. Oh and in the fighting bit you had to press other symbols not just X!

So.. anyway hope you don't think I'm trying to argue or even "defend" FFIX, I'm just saying why I love it, as you say why you hate it.
    rawr

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

FF9's a great game, and standing proud as my second favorite Final Fantasy title. I've played and beat FFs 1-10 and IMHO, only FFVII is better than FFIX.

Sigh, why do you still try and bash FF9? Well, your answer might be the same as my answer for your question. The reason why I and some others defend FF9 is because we have a right to opinions and there's no way you could ever prove us wrong (neither can we prove your opinions wrong) when we say that FF9 in our opinions is a good game.

Once again, a matter of opinions. FF9's my favorite soundtrack, and Melodies of Life is IMHO a lot deeper and more beautiful than Eyes on Me. I guess that's because its sadder melody and lyrics have a larger impact on me than Eyes on Me's happy and somewhat cheesy lyrics.

Chocobo Hot & Cold was really addicting and fun for me. With all due respect to FF7, I thought the Chocobo race got boring very quickly because my Chocobo always reached the finishing line long before the others, and I had to wait for ages while listening to the chocobo race fanfare music until the other snails reach the finishing line. For the rest of the stuff, no offence, but I feel like you have no idea what you're talking about when you talk about constantly pressing X.

Battle system. With the differing characters, there were ones you liked, and ones you NEVER played as. Because you did that, they were weaker characters anyway, because they alredy had distictive battle personalites.
    Although I actually hate comparing FFs to each other, I'll take FF8 as an example. There were even more characters I never used because an ability called "Switch Junctions" can make each character a clone of each other. In FF9, characters at least have some difference, and you're to use them strategically. Zidane's the main character so he must be in the party for most of the time. Dagger's good for summoning and some healing. Eiko for the same purpose, but she's a bit better healer. Vivi's for black magic. Freya for overall good fighting and abilities such as Rei's Wind and Dragon Crest. Steiner for beating things and using Climhazzard, Shock or Sword Magic. Amarant for fighting and using monk techs (No Mercy and Aura are great support spells). I used Quina less, but s/he's good for casting spells like Mighty Guard, White Wind etc.

Is there anything I haven't covered YET?
    Yeah, you forgot to use the words "in my (humble) opinion", short for IMO or IMHO, when you criticized FF9. Opinions aren't the same as facts.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi