Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Why FFIX is the Worst FF EVER!

Originally posted by Legolas63
    Right, first point. FFIX is a fine game. i never, said it wasn't. I just think it is the WORST FF ever. I was disapointed with it, in fact...so disapointed with it, it turned into HATE. It IS the worst. I'm just expressing my opinion about it.
    If you think IX is the worst, you have never laid hands on Mystic Quest. That game is the worst. Hell, FFV was bad enough, but Mystic Quest is even worse.
    What? A transvestite (Nothing againist Transvestites) who wants to destroy worlds? That seems sane. Plus, your reason for not destroying the guardians, seems weak. He only goes into Trance, when he goes FLIPPING MENTAL so I guess that proves he IS a mental case.
    I already made a post earlier in this thread as far as Kuja and his motives go. Since you obviously still think otherwise, you either didn't pay attention to the game, to my post, or the more likely option: both. For your benefit though, I'll give the scoop on Kuja.

First and foremost, if you think his motive through most of the game is to destroy worlds, you're wrong. Kuja has no interest in destroying worlds. His one underlying motive throughout most of the game is to get enough power to overthrow Garland. Nothing else matters to him other than that. And that's also the main reason he didn't destroy the Elemental Guardians: not only was he not strong enough to do it, but it would make no sense for him to do it until he had enough power to take out Garland.

And again, he doesn't go into Trance when he goes mental. Kuja goes into trance when he takes enough punishment from Zidane and company. Its after he finds out from Garland about his limited lifespan does Kuja lose it.

Kuja, is a villian who mellows at the end. WHY? If he's evil, why does he go almost good. (If you want prove, it's when Zidane *SPOILER* at the end, so i guess that proves I've completed it). Think about it, Kefka diddn't mellow, and he is a great villian. Full of Malice and spite, and boliing with pure evil.
    Kefka didn't mellow because he was a complete lunatic throughout the entire game. Its documented that Kefka is a complete loon. Kuja, on the other hand, is what is known as a Tragic Villain, which is a villain who realises what he has done is wrong, before its too late to really rectify the matter. Some people hate Kuja because he's a tragic villain. Since I like tragic villain, I happen to like Kuja a bit more than the rest.
    Yes, but you couldn't switch them mid battle could you? So you either played with a select team or you switched them after battles like some strange person.
    And your point is what? FFX is the only Final Fantasy where you can switch mid-battle, and that made things so much easier. Oh, a flying creature, lets call Wakka. Oh, a creature who is hurt by Magic, lets get Lulu in here. Hey, a quick enemy...we want Tidus for this one. Damn, an enemy with a hard shell...we'll let Auron handle that one.

You didn't like the battle system, fine. I happened to love it because it gave your characters some individuality, instead of clones who you can set to have the same magic. FFVII and FFVIII are notorious for this, where you can basically switch stuff around, and to a lesser extent, FFX and FFVI where you can have your characters learn the same magic and abilities.

Also, Zidane is the main chrcter, so he should be kick ass (Like cloud Or squall), a character you want to play as. But now, he has theifing skills. Whup de F***!? Sometimes, i wished, i could dump him, and switch to Steiner or sumthing.
    Just to let you know, if you steal with Zidane enough, you could have him do 9,999 points of damage by using his Master Thief skill. Ass kicker? Why yes he is.
    Also, FFVI may have had characters with differing skills, but none were the main character, so you could play with a team you perfereed, which is better, so you can battle how you want, without having a S*** main character like Zidane.
    Again, you bring up Zidane who can kick ass if you bothered.

Anyways, FFVI suffers the same way FFVII, only to a much lesser extent. Yes, FFVI really didn't have a main character, but that doesn't mean that if enough time wasn't spent, you couldn't make everyone clones of each other, skills excluded. Espers was basically the forefather of the Materia and Junction system. You wanted a character to learn this magic, attach an esper to him.

Basically, I believe, FFIX IS the worst FF. And yes, i appreciate that I will get people in surport and agianist, but calling me names is just pathetic. surely if you think FFIX is any good, you would be able to surport it without calling me "Newbie", and would simply surport it using it's merits.
    I have been supporting it using its merits. Problem is, I'm never going to convince you it was a good game. That would involve changing your opinion in some way, and thats not going to happen as far as FFIX goes.

I think its a wonderful game, and bring up its good points which you disagree on by giving reasons which, quite frankly, lead me to believe you didn't care enough to pay attention to the story that was being told. This is best showcased when you talk about Kuja and Zidane. Kuja had motives which, and you were completely and utterly off the mark as far as what you thought they were. And you think Zidane is a crappy main character which couldn't kick ass despite the fact that his Master Thief ability can hit for 9,999 every time for half the mana cost of his lowest Trance moves if you bothered to steal from enemies.

So there you have it. Basically, we're at a point where no more can be discussed which hasn't already been brought up.
    "Game over? Damn right I'm over!"

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

Thanks, American Badass. I agree with you, Zidane didn't suck in battles. He did 7000+ damage in battles for tougher enemies, and 9999 for normal enemies or those who had a weakness (for example, I do 9999 to Kuja with a physical attack with Zidane from the back row if he has Man Eater and Bird Slayer equipped). His Trance moves, even Free Energy, do 9999 damage every time.

I think Legolas is just too used for having an all-powerful super juggernaut robot character as the main character. The main character doesn't always have to be a big knight guy with a sword.

Bashing Kuja because "he's a transvestite" is a stupid reason to hate a villain, IMHO. As for the genders, I think it was said that (SPOILER)Garland made Kuja, Zidane and Mikoto special because they had souls and genders. Kuja also created the Black Mages the same way Genomes were created. I'm not sure if he get them all a gender, but I know for sure that he made Vivi male.

FFIX is a fine game.
    so disapointed with it, it turned into HATE.
    You "hate" a "fine game"? I think you're conflicting yourself.

I'd write more but I'm in school and the next lesson's starting. Later!
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

I have one matching sock PhoenixAsh's Avatar

It's perfectly possible to hate a game and still appreciate it's qualities.

I don't get why people slate VII and VIII because you can customise.
    "Oh no all my characters can have the same abilities!"
    "Why not just give characters different materia?"
    "Quiet you!"

Besides it's not like there were tactics involved. You could complete the game easily using the basic four characters.

Kenshin IV laughing doesn't get your point across.

I say what I think. If you disagree, then that is up to you.

Originally posted by PhoenixAsh
    I don't get why people slate VII and VIII because you can customise.
    "Oh no all my characters can have the same abilities!"
    "Why not just give characters different materia?"
    "Quiet you!"
    The reason I slate FFVII and FFVIII is because it can be done. Sure, you could buy materia for each and every character and have that character have a specific role. But what happens when that character is not able to be selected in battle? Answer: simply move the materia to another character and have a near carbon copy.

Or, especially in FFVIII in Ultimecia's castle when the team is split in two, what happens when you have all your GFs junctioned to three specific characters when you switch to the other team? Easy, Junction exchange your GFs and transfer your Magic. Again, near carbon copies.

And lets face it, most RPG players (especially players starting out or players who don't really care) are going to stick to the same characters over and over more often than not.

Originally posted by PhoenixAsh
    Besides it's not like there were tactics involved. You could complete the game easily using the basic four characters.
    I'll agree with that for the most part. But then again, the same can be said for pretty much all RPGs.

Heh, who said I cared to get my point across? I'm not trying to argue with you about it. Squall was an underdeveloped character. If you don't want to admit that, it really doesn't bother me.

I agree with Kenshin IV about squall. This is only my opinion, and I've only played the game for 8 hours, so I cant really say. He blows everything off untuil the last second when he jumps in to save the day. At the end, however, he gets better. I know this because i've seen the eniter game played before my eyes because my best friend beat it a couple of times. As for zidane being a sucky hero, I liked him. He was the first hero that wasnt a huge sword -flinging macho man with an "I'm gonna blow you off" attitude. He was a charachter with a comic side, not a charachter with a need for psychotherapy. As for being weak, Zidane has just as much power as Cloud or Squall. If anything, he's a better charachter in my opinion because he had individual skills that nobody else could have. Squall and Cloud could be leveled up in a way that you have 3 juggernaughts on the screen simontaniously and that just isnt any fun. Plus the fact that he was the first non-human charachter. He had individual features, and didnt dress in chains and armor with dark leather. He on the other hand, was dressed like a theif/pirate, which in my opinion is quite cool. This is just my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

Ps. the reason we called you a nOOb is because your acting like one. You pull out all the bad things in a game instead of looking at the good points. I could sit here and bash FF7 for hours upon end but it wouldnt change your views on it. Besides, some nOObs are really cool. Its not nececarily a bad thing, moreover, just a mind set.
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Early in VII giving characters individual roles works pretty well. Eventually they get less individual, but thats your own choice.

In VIII you could only choose three abilities, so if all your characters were the same then you had a pretty ineffective setup.
    Squall was developed, Squall was explained, Squall wasn't attempting to be cool.

Zidane wasn't a macho fighter character, he was a perverted, arrogant character. He wasn't a shadow on Squall, or Cloud strength wise.

As for him being able to kick ass with Thievery, is that the same way Quina can with Frog Drop, or Freya can with Dragon Breath (I think it was that one)? They were all basically the same move.

Complaining that it's too easy to complete VII and VIII because you don't have to be tactical is just wierd IMO. You actually have to think in those games, and build up your characters. My main problem with IX is that you don't think at any real point in the game. With the exception of knowing when to do the Chocobo Quest, and pointless levelling up, you have almost no control over your characters' developement.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

I already listed all my reasons for disliking this game in another thread, so I wont be detailed unless someone asks me to be. I felt the plot was very stereotypical and shallow, as were the characters. I hated the abilities system, and the sheer number of random battles was staggering. You couldnt walk five steps in any direction without getting into one, and I think that's a bit much. The character design was pretty ugly, too.

Anyway, the main reason is really just that it didnt engage me. When i turned it on and started playing, it didnt pull me in and make me want to play more, like most other FF games did (even VIII, and VIII is the one I hate most for its lack of character development). With, for example, Kingdom Hearts, I couldnt put the controller down, I was so into it. IX failed to draw me in at the beginning, and thus I set my controller down and walked away. Even when I forced myself to try and play it for the mere sake of getting it over with, I couldnt make it far past disc 1.

But, of course, there are people that love it. My boyfriend adores it. The thing is, "one man's trash is another man's treasure.". What I see as a stale and predictable storyline with annoying, shallow characters, others see as a masterpiece, so I'm not really trying to change anyone's mind or argue with anyone, just stating my point.

Though this thread does scare me. A small number of you people are frothing at the mouth. It's just a game. Stop scaring me!

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well put, TheAbominatrix. You are completely right, "one man's trash is another man's treasure."
    We will never change each others opinion but we should accept others! After all if everybody had the same opinion the board would be a very boring place, and there would be no discussion.

However I think that the way in which people put across their opinion makes a difference and results in arguing. If you say "this game sucks" but if you can explain why you didn't like it without insulting anyone else who does like it, and post intelligently then we needn't argue.

Although I think that this thread has been discussed to death and there's not much more to say apart from restating what's already been said.

Anyway the game is not good or bad, the best or the worst, it is whatever the person playing it says it is.
    FFIX is....just FFIX!
    rawr

I agree, everyone should be able to discuss it like mature people. But hey, I think people should discuss this more. FFIX was VERY different to the other FF's on the PS1, so maybe, others have opinions about it.

Howver, i still have some more points that I want to put 4 my case.

GRAPHICS
    i don't no why, but they don't seem to be AS good as the other PS1 FF's. FFVII felt solid and chunky, FFVIII's felt real & organic (If a little flickery) but FFIX doesn't feel right. Like they don't feel normal. The summons in paticualr. GFs (FF8) had FMV/Graphics and so looked more impressive, FFVII's felt chunky, yet knda good looking. But FFIX's.....they felt wrong. i can't dexcribe it very well.

STYLE
    Cartoony? I didn't like it.
    Medievil? Great, a breath of fresh air

ZIDANE
    Kick ass? if he can only do 9999, then that's not that great. Cloud can do 9999+ thanks to OmniSlash, and Squall can do even greater thanks to Rendozukan/Lionheart.
    Maybe Square, wanted to distance themselves from the whupass main guy. But i just didn't like it. He leaned too much towardd being weak, rather then being overly hard. Tidus, is very well balanced, being not too weak, but not too strong.

SUMMONS
    What happened to Ifrit? He looks terrible!
    Ark is possibly, the most rubbish summon ever,*(In my opinion), too long, for not enough damage (Eden in FF8 did over 9999 if you boosted it), although it switching into a giant robot was kinda cool.

SEND OFF?
    Was it a good send off to the FF's on PS1. and before?
    I would have to say...........no.

(Oh yeah, I disagree. FF Adventure on the GB is the WORST by far, but I was discussinf TRUE FF's)

"I think you'd make any (nice) woman happy... & I think you really deserve for someone to make you happy too for a change"

Seeing as we're discussing posting style, I'd like it if for once people didn't jump onto bandwagons and agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion, and that everyone should stay calm. We KNOW liking or disliking something is opinion, and we KNOW we shouldn't be aggressive, it's not new!

Legolas I agree a with a lot of what you said, but I should point out Tidus is way more powerful than Cloud, Squall and Zidane.

Tidus........ powerful?

aaaaaaaaaah hahahahahahahahaha

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Zidane was annoying, I dont care how strong he could be. And, regardless of liking or disliking Tidus, he's a powerful fighter.

Alright Legolas, that's cool. Better put than the opening post of this thread. Anyway, as far as the graphics go, I personally preferred them. They seemed smoother. More fluid. FFVII's graphics were very simple. Simplicity isn't bad, don't get me wrong, but it didn't really blow me away. FFVIII had great summon graphics. But, I think FFIX's were good too. I know you'll disagree, but I'm kind of glad that for once, Ifrit didn't look cooler than all the rest. Atomos was tight. And Ark was a bit...... out there considering that the rest of the game was put in a more medievel setting. Ummm... Zidane to me was a breath of fresh air. Squall, Cloud, and Zidane weren't all that different to me. They seemed really cool at the beginning, but their attitude got a bit annoying to me halfway through the game. Then, for some reason, at the end of FFVIII and FFIX, they seemed to change and I liked them again. Cloud never changed, but hey! consistancy is a good thing. Umm... the power thing. Once again, a breath o fresh air for me. Something different. Instead of the main character being untouchable gods of power, every character had the potential to be about equal, which in my mind, is good.
    Disect a trillion sighs away. Will you get this letter? Jagged pulp sliced in my veins. I write to remember. Cause I'm a million miles away. Will you get this letter? Jagged pulp sliced in my veins. I write to remember!
    -At The Drive-In-

I'm not saying that I didn't like or liked Tidus, but he's NOT a powerful guy. He's a jock that suddenly found himself in some new world. Guys like Cecil or Cloud were first class soldiers right from the get-go. Sure, Tidus was strong in the game, but he's the main character! It's almost a requirement to make the main character really strong for the game they're in.
    As for Zidane, he's like Tidus. Storywise, he really wasn't that powerful a character. Just some low-life theif who likes to chase after girls. Personality wise, I can see him getting on someones nerves, but he didn't really bother me at all. Wouldn't say I really "loved" him, though.