Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Attack while its tails up!"

Originally posted by Big D
    Allegedly, the PC version has a better script.
    Depending on who you ask. I think they fixed "This guy are sick" and "Beacause you are a puppet," but I'm also told they removed a bunch of important details from the script. I'm not sure whether that's accurate or not, but blah.

Not only is the direction it gives you wrong, but the sentence is grammatically incorrect as well. The game says, "Attack while it's tail's up," but "it's" (a contraction for "it is") should be "its" (the possessive form of "it"). Silly translators.

And yes, the translation screwed me up the first time I played the battle, too. I lost only once, though; I figured it out as soon as I realised the monster was counterattacking.

I actually didn't think FFVII had that bad of a translation, apart from the occasional grammatical errors and this one instance. They did get the actual rhythm of the spoken English language down pretty well in the dialogue. I'm all in all glad Square translated FFVII themselves rather than hiring outside translators; they probably wouldn't have captured the depth of the story nearly as well.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

[q=The Man]"Beacause you are a puppet,"[/q]This's spelled correctly in my PS version. Never realised other versions had it wrong...
    I actually didn't think FFVII had that bad of a translation, apart from the occasional grammatical errors and this one instance. They did get the actual rhythm of the spoken English language down pretty well in the dialogue. I'm all in all glad Square translated FFVII themselves rather than hiring outside translators; they probably wouldn't have captured the depth of the story nearly as well.
    I agree, it was a pretty nice bit of work. FFIX, or instance, had nearly the same translation team, but most of the dialogue was far too "kiddy" for my liking.

Originally posted by Big D
    [q=The Man]"Beacause you are a puppet,"[/q]This's spelled correctly in my PS version. Never realised other versions had it wrong...
    It's definitely spelled wrong in my version. Didn't realise other PS versions actually had it right. :P Figures that Jenova would get only one line in the game and it would be mistranslated.

I agree, it was a pretty nice bit of work. FFIX, or instance, had nearly the same translation team, but most of the dialogue was far too "kiddy" for my liking.
    I don't really have a problem with any of FFIX's translation; it's just not as intricate a game in terms of plot. I still like the FFVII translation more, though. And yes, that includes bits like the "Off course!/No, way!" pairing - the grammatical mistakes keep you on your toes.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't really have a problem with any of FFIX's translation; it's just not as intricate a game in terms of plot.
    "H-hey yo, whatcha gonna wanna do 'bout it? Gwa bwa mwa ha!"

No-one in FFIX talks or even laughs like a mature, brain-bearing individual. I know that quote is non-existent, but it's representative of the worst elements of FFIX's dialogue.

FFVII gave characters some distinct "voices", I think. Genuinely believeable personalities, not just cut from a particular mould or stereotype.

How do I become a knight?

Didn't Barret say 'Attack while tails up" to emphasise the fact that Cloud knows more about the Shinra machines after being in SOLDIER? I might be wrong cos it's a while since I played it, but I'm pretty sure Cloud contradicts Barret when Barret comes up with the comment.

in the pc platinum version it goes like "attack while its tail is up and get counter atacked. you see? the sentece is perfectly fine (and i just realized that the person who opened the thread wrote the same). it doesn't sound like what a native english speaker would say but i think it is understandable.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I actualy Did a joke script of that scene once!

Cloud: Heads up here they come!

(Battle: Scopion Guard Things go well until The monster Lifts it's Tail!)

Cloud: Barret! Be careful! Attack when it's tails up....

Barret: RIGHT!

(Barret Blasts the Monster with Several attacks The Scorpion angrily Lets fire A pwerful Lazer on Barret and Cloud!)

Barret: OWWWW! Damn! Man! What the @%@$ was that?!

Cloud: You didn't let me finish!! I was gonna say "Attack when it's Tails up It's gonna counter with a Lazer!"

Barret: You foo Cloud!! Be more Clear on you'r warnings!

Cloud: Well maybe if YOU Hadn't interrupted me!!

(Cloud and Barret Fight Until they are on one HP The Scropion atacks them both GAME OVER!)

MORAL OF STORY: Be Clear!!

I always assumed it went like this.

Barret (Assuming he's correct): Attack while its tail's up!
    Cloud (Being in soldier he would've had more knowledge): If you do it'll attack with it's laser! (Contradicting Barret)

It makes sense that way. I never got stuck on that first boss. With only 800 hp it was pretty easy.

i was only hit with the counter-attack once, this because they game was backlogged with my attacks, i already had cloud attacking before the tail went up. so i only got hit once, that was enough for me to go, hmm... don't attack when the screen pans back like that and the tail is up, you is uber screwed if you do.

usually, for me at least, if i get the crap kicked out of me more then twice, and with the same move after i do that exactly same thing to an enemy, i learn

Originally posted by Radje
    Barret (Assuming he's correct): Attack while its tail's up!
    Cloud (Being in soldier he would've had more knowledge): If you do it'll attack with it's laser! (Contradicting Barret)

It makes sense that way.
    It makes sense, but it's still a <lousy> and misleading way to give you battle strategy.

Also, (BIG SPOILER)Cloud was never in SOLDIER. Just felt like clarifying that and being a know-it-all :P

Edit by Kishi: Watch your language.

OMG, u wouldn't beleive how mne times i've died because of the stupid translation. I did what was told of me, and, I died, I did it again, I died, omg, so frustrating, then my cozin, who beat it already, beat the dude for me, so, I learned from watching him

Wasn't the translation fixed in the platinum or whatever the rerelease version was?
    That would explain why it was correct in mine!

Blog Entries

I have the PC version now, though I don't think it's the platinum version.

It isn't fixed in this one, but I've already spotted a number of other translation fixes/tweaks up to then

Cloud: "I'm not here for a lecture, let's just hurry"
    Barrett: "That's it! You're coming with me from now on"
    (sounded like Barrett was angry? I thought so)
    this was changed to...
    Cloud: "I'm not here for a lecture, let's just do it!"
    Barrett: "Alright! You come with me from now on."

Opening the password-locked doors, if you spoke to the wrong person (Biggs when Jessie was at the door or vice versa) they just used to say "Let's go!"

Now you get some extra lines:
    Jessie: "Biggs and I managed to get the codes for these doors"
    and
    Biggs: "Think how many of our people risked their lives, just for this code"

I wonder if there's a list of changes anywhere, either way it'll be interesting to go through and see some of them

Default >.<

You guys honestly...

He said this, "Attack while it's tails up, it'll counter attack with it's laser."

Barret was saying it matter of factly in his gruff voice. If it would have been me saying it, it would of been, "Attack while it's tails up and it'll counter attack with it's laser."

But Barret has that tough guy matter of fact accent to him.

I had no trouble with it!
    READ MY ONLINE JOURNAL!
    No really...
    You'll think your on a friggin acid trip!
    CLICK THE JOURNAL LINK!
    It's the pencil...do it...DO IT!

Blog Entries

Slight flaw in that theory: It was Cloud saying it