Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unexplained things in FFIV

The only thing I never got about the game was:

(SPOILER):

When Palom and Porom turned into stone to save the others in the castle and you went back to them before the Giant of Babil scene, how they'd give you a box where you can use an item on them. I've heard that there's a Basilisk eye that you can use on them to turn them back to normal and get them back into your party, but that it was a dummied item. Does that item exist in the Japanese version since most dummied items were removed in the English translation, or does it not exist at all? I've also heard that you can use a game genie to get it as well...unsure.

Unsure how to make the text completely invisible like I've seen others do though...

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

The item box only shows up so you can try to give them Golden Needles (Softs), which gives you a message saying that they cannot be healed because they have become stone of their own will.

The Basilisk's Eye was just another rumor.

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Wouldn't a basilisk's eye turn someone INTO stone? Well no matter, put that theory to rest 'cause it's about as true as the subquest to (SPOILER)revive Aeris or (SPOILER)General Leo.

And I'd like to say a small note on this...

Originally posted by Numisma
    that's b/c their L's and R's are the same. actually, the R/L syllables can also kinda sound like a D, too. I met a girl in Japan whose name was spelled Eri, but you pronounced it Edi.
    The Japanese R is pronounced like a Spanish R, and it is used in place of the letter L which does not exist in the Japanese alphabet (or alphabet equivalent which I'm sure someone will chime in and remind me the name of). It's not pronounced like a D. The D sound is separate in Japanese. However, many people who have a hard time rolling their Rs make this weird noise that sounds an awful lot like a D. For example, the (really bad) voice actors in Shenmue refer to the main character as "Dio".........

HOLY DIVER!!!!

Sorry.... Anyway, please forgive my rambling. I'm going to get myself tested for OCD one of these days.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

No decent person will ever blame you for making a Holy Diver reference.

Okay, I have another.

How the heck does Yang survive the Super Cannon blast? And once that's explained, how's he end up near the Slyph cave?
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

I don't know, but considering his wife asks you to hit him with a frying pan to wake him up, I'd say Yang has a long history as a victim of spousal abuse and somehow managed to endure the pain due to being immune to it or something. Kinda like those people in freakshows who do things like getting run over by a bus or have a cannon shoot them in the stomach...

Or he just have incredibly good karma.

[*]How did the Dwarves manage to get the tanks out of the Underground for the battle against the Giant of Bab-il?
    That's why the dwarves are so damn cool.

[*]Just who are the kids in Bahamut's cave on the Moon?
    What kids? I don't remember seeing any kids in Bahamut's cave... Well, I don't play it this far in a few years, so maybe I just forgot them.

I've seen the future, brother. It is murder.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Quote Originally Posted by Outsider
    That's why the dwarves are so damn cool.

What kids? I don't remember seeing any kids in Bahamut's cave... Well, I don't play it this far in a few years, so maybe I just forgot them.
    The Dwarves probably had help, seeing as the whole world was united at this point. Plus, their ancestors came up through that very hole... the only reason they stopped was (presumably) because the hole closed off.

And there's two little kids, a boy and a girl, who stand on either side of Bahamut. I dont know who they are.

How the heck do FuSoYa and Golbez get to the moon after the Giant of Babil is destroyed?

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

I assume they use the Tower of Babil.

They use the Big Whale, than send it back using Auto-Pilot.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAbominatrix
    I assume they use the Tower of Babil.
    The Tower of Babil is tall, but I don't think it extends all the way to the moon. I know Golbez said "The path to the moon will be opened", but I figured he meant "The path for the Giant of Babil to come to Earth was opened".

Another thing....how exactly does Yang prevent the Tower of Babil cannons from firing? All you see are explosions in the room.

I don't think they used the Tower of Bab-Il to go to the Moon (It's not tall enough, at least when I see it when I'm near Eblan)... I always thought that FuSoYa had his own way to return there.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

If the Giant can use it to get down to the earth, then those guys can use it to go up to the moon.

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Quote Originally Posted by Storm
    The Tower of Babil is tall, but I don't think it extends all the way to the moon. I know Golbez said "The path to the moon will be opened", but I figured he meant "The path for the Giant of Babil to come to Earth was opened".

Another thing....how exactly does Yang prevent the Tower of Babil cannons from firing? All you see are explosions in the room.
    The Tower itself doesnt extend to the moon, but there must be a way to the moon somewhere in there, like the teleporters that are all over the place. The Giant is of Babil, hence I doubt it came from the moon. The Giant seemed to be coming from the Tower itself.

Yang probably jacks up the firing mechanisms, or makes the amunition explode before it's ejected.