Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kappa is a mythical creature

A lot of enemies are guarenteed to get critical hits if you cast imp on them though.

I remember reading something about Kappas because that's what Kapp'n in Animal Crossing is. Apparently they are evil creatures that lie in wait at beaches and eat people or something. The only way to defeat them is to bow in front of them and they have to bow back to you, spilling the bowl of water on their heads, then they leave ashamed or die or something. I swear to God that I'm not making this up. Japanese cluture is so weird. oO

btw, Vanish should be nerfed.

Arg, played too much MMORPGs *dies*

Actually, if you can get all the Imp gear, cast Imp on somebody and equip them with all of it, you can make one hellova fighter. Can't use magic or their skill, but if you do it to somebody who's skill isn't too useful anyway (like, in my opinion, Cyan or Strago), then you're not losing much and gaining a lot. But I'm sure that's well-known.

Some enemies, you can cast Imp on them and they'll do the exact same attacks as when they were normal. Like the Intangr on Triangle Island, you can cast Imp on him but he'll still use that Fireball spell.

green ducks...5 o'clock monkeys...what the hell?
    i just don't see how all this connects.
    kappa is supposed to be a 'water demon'...imp is supposed to be like a small 'playful' version of a giant flying demon.

i...i...i just don't see how all this connects.
    "There are some people in this world like me who have killed their emotions long ago. Never forget that." -Shadow, to Terra
    "Yes! The emnity is growing! The only thing pure in this world is emnity!...Now, let love bleed! Darker and deeper than the seas of hell!" -Lynx

Eoff + Fabio = Win Lord Chainsaw's Avatar

Originally posted by GogoTheMimic
    I remember reading something about Kappas because that's what Kapp'n in Animal Crossing is. Apparently they are evil creatures that lie in wait at beaches and eat people or something.
    Kappas would lie in wait in the water and drown children.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

They also possess, to whatever extent, some vampiric qualities.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Originally posted by Lord Chainsaw
    Kappas would lie in wait in the water and drown children.
    From drowning children to teaching them how to use Gau's abilities on the Veldt. Square sure took a few liberties with this one (not that they've never taken any liberties before).
    Figaro Castle

not to mention that in FF7 they changed the imp/kappa to Toad....how strange...
    "There are some people in this world like me who have killed their emotions long ago. Never forget that." -Shadow, to Terra
    "Yes! The emnity is growing! The only thing pure in this world is emnity!...Now, let love bleed! Darker and deeper than the seas of hell!" -Lynx

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

They had toad spells before VII, they just choose to return to those. Check out IV, they have toad and piggy and small, none of those are related to Kappa.

Japanese video games always have these references... remember in Super Mario Bros. 3, when you'd get the flying Racoon looking suit? I cant remember what it's called in Japan, but if I remember right it makes noises and hides in the forest and inflates it's testicles or something.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

It's a tanuki, a "raccoon-dog" that actually exists (scientific name: Canis viverriuns, nyctereutes, procyonoides), but it has a role in Japanese mythology, too. In folklore, they're known for the mischief they cause, particularly by loudly playing their enormous testicles like the drums. (Male tanuki really do tend to adhere to this trait, by the way, as a matter of natural selection; female tanuki prefer their mates equipped. In any case, the Japanese culturally regard the tanuki's huge testes--called "kin-tama," or "golden balls"--as symbols of good luck rather than sex.)

Tanuki are also said to be able to turn leaves into fake money, which is why Rocky from Pocky & Rocky throws leaves to attack, as well as why grabbing a leaf in Super Mario Bros. 3 will turn Mario into Raccoon Mario. Like the kitsune, they posses the power to transform to disguise themselves, which explains why Tanuki Mario is able to assume the form of a statue.

Eoff + Fabio = Win Lord Chainsaw's Avatar

The Raccoon at the end of each level in Legend of The Mystical Ninja was also a Tanuki.

You would break the spinning raccoon and coins would fly out depending on what position you broke him in.

And speaking of Pocky and Rocky, a level in the second game (Level 4) was called none other than:

Bridge over Kappa River!

It was full of those green imps that we all know and love from FF6. Except they would damage you and if I remember correctly, try to pull you into the water.