Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FFIX: the better hero

Default FFIX: the better hero

This is my opinion, but I think that Zidane has been the best FF hero so far, as partaining to male main charachters. He had a lighter attitude, and had an original weapon. Cloud and squall were massive-blade slingin' monsters with a "I hate creation" attitude. Now, for the best supporting woman, I'd have to go with Dagger. She played just as much if not more of a role as Zidane. FF7 was completely possible without Tifa. Aeris, isn't really supporting... because of her.. well... you know.. kicking the bucket. Dagger was great, but she was a little too outspoken on some occasions. Best supporting male? Vivi. He was a kick-butt mage with a kind heart. He also was somewhat of a comic releif when Zidane was in his serious moments. Zell and Barret (mr. grizzly bear in a marshmallow :laugh: ) come in a close second. I think FFIX has the majority of good defining charachters. Do you agree? I know this has somewhat to do with other FFs, but I mean for the topic to be why the three roles (Male hero, female hero, supporting hero) in FFIX were all so original and great.
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Zidane was an arrogant, ignorant violent criminal with an overwhelming belief that whatever he does is OK, and that anyone who disagrees deserves pain or death. Not an ideal 'hero', in my opinion. Sure, he had a few virtuous qualities, but an ability to admit his own faults sure isn't one of them.

I agree with you that Garnet was a good heroine, but I still feel that Aeris reigns supreme in that category. Her strength, dedication and willingness to do whatever it takes, were all interesting qualities. She was a touchingly 'tragic' figure, too, going from a troubled beginning, to a harsh life before getting flung into the greatest conflict the world has ever known. Yet she embraced to opportunity to learn about her past and fulfill her life's purpose. Admirable stuff.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

I didnt think any of these characters were overly original, nor did any of them endear to me for any reason. I found Zidane to be very annoying and very crass, for many of the reasons Big D stated. Garnet was cool, but to me she was too spoiled. It cant be blamed on her fully, after all she was raised as such, but her "You all have to listen to me" attitude was quiet annoying, though it was rarely present.

As far as heros and heroines go, I think the best came from FF VI and IV, by far. I dont think any of the characters in IX were very original. Maybe a bit off the beaten path for the direction the series took during the Playstation days, but their personalities were very typical of fantasy stories. I thought Vivi was very cute, but I didnt find him overly funny, really.

jeesh even the "4 heroes appear out of coneria from nowhere" thing was better than zidane.
    Who was the best main char of all times?heres my list

ffta-Ritz
    ff8-squall
    ff6-Locke/Terra/celes
    ff5-Butz
    ff3j-the 4 cool onion kids
    ff7-Cloud
    ff4-Cecil
    ff9-Zidane
    ff1-TEH 4 ORB WARRIORS
    ff2-whats his face-Fryaeuonel?

Join my FF forum.
    It is empty but it would really help out if you would join and help me get more members

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

I still find Zidane to be better than Squall, because at least he had a real personality. Squall was like a pretty cardboard cutout walking around. He was somewhat cool at first, but then he just up and changed who he was, which was silly.

Originally posted by TheAbominatrix
    I still find Zidane to be better than Squall, because at least he had a real personality. Squall was like a pretty cardboard cutout walking around. He was somewhat cool at first, but then he just up and changed who he was, which was silly.
    At least squall was serious not some hippy like zidane.

and squall had a personailty.Just because he had a changing one doesnt mean he didnt have one <.<

Join my FF forum.
    It is empty but it would really help out if you would join and help me get more members

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Zidane was a pretty violent guy. The only thing that makes him a 'hippie' is his longish hair, I'd suppose.

And I really dont feel Squall had much of a personality. It has little to do with his changing, it's just because he was so bland. "Whatever." "Whatever." I understand why, but if I were to meet someone like that, I would be bored with them quickly. Not reacting to anything isnt much of a personality, and it's even less of a personality when he's so quick to change. He couldnt have been very strong or devoted to his ways if he just up and changed in a split second with no real reason.

I think he made a fine hero. Of course he had his faults and negativities since he was just a meer child. Overall he came through and that is all that matters.

Originally posted by TheAbominatrix
    Zidane was a pretty violent guy. The only thing that makes him a 'hippie' is his longish hair, I'd suppose.

And I really dont feel Squall had much of a personality. It has little to do with his changing, it's just because he was so bland. "Whatever." "Whatever." I understand why, but if I were to meet someone like that, I would be bored with them quickly. Not reacting to anything isnt much of a personality, and it's even less of a personality when he's so quick to change. He couldnt have been very strong or devoted to his ways if he just up and changed in a split second with no real reason.
    just a note:i am just like squall and that doesnt mean i dont have a personailty,i have A LOT of personality

Join my FF forum.

Hmm... I actually might like Zidane the most of all the male main characters in any FF games. I certainly like him more than Tidus or Squall, he definitely has more personality than Batz, and I think I like him more than Cloud as well. It's probably a tie between Zidane and Cecil, really.

I didn't really see Zidane as a criminal or anything. Sure he was arrogant and sometimes stole stuff, but he generally seems to want to help people, which I'd say is a good characteristic to have. "You don't need a reason to help people" - good stuff.

As for female heroines... hmm. Um. Terra wins.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

FFIX was more of an ensemble game. Zidane and Garnet weren't bad characters, but they didn't have "hero and heroine" thing going, to me, anyways. I still liked the game overall - the whole cast made it interesting, not anyone in particular.

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Originally posted by MagicKnight Locke
    just a note:i am just like squall and that doesnt mean i dont have a personailty,i have A LOT of personality
    If you were 'just like Squall' why would you talk to anyone? Squall was a loner and only talked to people when he had to, as a patron of a message board you obviously want to talk to people. Squall is a game character, you would naturally have more personality than him, being real and all.

Zidane? Violent? o_O That's... a first, actually. I just think he has a punk mouth, but I hardly thought of him as violent. Paritally because the atmosphere of the game itself is light-hearted and fluffy, I don't think of any of the characters as particularly violent. Even Brahne. I think of her as powerhungry, not bloodthirsty.

Okay, so now when I think of it, yeah, he WOULD beat the snot outta someone who screwed with his friends, and THEN talk about it later. However, I also see him as a character who wouldn't want to go provoking fights just because he wants to. It's more like, if you've gotta fight to save your ass, fight. If you're fighting to protect a friend, fight. Of course, he's not exactly someone who's particularly willing or able to think things all the way through.

But like I've said a lot of times before, Zidane is my favorite character of all FF characters. I like characters like him, who have really outspoken, upbeat emotions that make them stuff their entire LEGS in their mouths sometimes. Ziddy's got this campy quality that makes him really do-goody, yet he's an outcast of society because he's a theif, so he's gotta be streetsmart.

Eh, anyway, that's just my opinion. The same things that make me really adore Ziddy are what other people absolutely hate about him.

Turning the fantasy into SOME sort of reality... o_O

Originally posted by Kurohime
    I don't think of any of the characters as particularly violent. Even Brahne. I think of her as powerhungry, not bloodthirsty.
    Wow.. I am actually somewhat arguing against Mistress Kuro, master of the greatest game ever, but Kuja seemed a bit bloodthirsty to me. He had a joy in killing, almost like making it into a chess game. He moved his peices, and wanted them to die. He wanted the other side to die too. Everyone was to die, because he wanted all power. He had nothing to loose in his state. Death was his prime concern, below killing Garland. He had a thrill for blood, and a joy in shedding it.

MagicKnight Locke, pleeeeease dont say your "like a charachter". Sorry, but nobody is really like any FF charachtr. They can have some traits, but if you acted like most of the FF charachters in public, you'd be murdered and have your innards hung from lightposts.
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

I dont mean overly violent, but he is a fighter, which makes him not a hippie.