Thread: What people don't understand about V

Default What people don't understand about V

What people do not understand about FFV!
    Alot of things! Common silly complaints... would these complaints ever exist if it was released in the US earlier? It irks me a bit how FFV is seen as the weak link of the series. (But it's actually the strongest).

Complaints:

Lack of characters:
    When they see characters with an original physical body, and personality, ... they expect there to be more than just a parties worth (because other FF games had that). But the beauty of this game.. is that it delivers a parties worth of characters with personalities but also ones that are chameleons at the same time. It'd be useless to have like 10 characters with the job system. Choosing your character is ALL about the job system in this game.. and alot of plot gaps allow you to fill stuff in. I think it allows a more personal and "role-playing" experience than most RPGs in that case.

Cliche storyline: So the crystal thing is a little redundant by now. But the storyline is not cliche. People see it as 'good guys go after bad guys' ... but it's more like 'people are tied into something epic because of parents' ...this game is all about family...! Ends up everyone is related to eachother (you'll see) and they have been reunited (the neo and the legends) to face what is about to come.

Cliche badguy: I'll agree,... Exdeath is pretty 2D. But I never cared...never bothered me.

This game is weird and very original. And also the more challenging among the newer FFs. =/ It's so underrated.
    IN MY OPINION.
    THanks for reading.
    Lamia's Tiara- Headgear in FFIX
    Lamia's Flute- Weapon for Eiko in FFIX
    Lamia in FFV- a enemy
    appearance: a lady with long brown hair, wearing a tiara...half woman and half snake.
    Lamia in FF3j- A Harp
    Lamia in FFL2- An enemy
    FF2j Queen Lamia, at one point she even gets Frionel in a bedroom with her and jumps on the bed and says "take me!".. before she turns into her snakey self. She serves as a mini boss in this game (as Queen Lamia).. and after you fight her as a mini boss, regular lamia's become random foes and later on in the game, Queen Lamia's become random foes as well.
    LamiaScl. an item that paralyzes foes.
    According to legend, she was once a Libyan queen (or princess) who fell in love with Zeus. Zeus' jealous wife Hera deformed her into a monster and murdered their offspring. She also made Lamia unable to close her eyes, so that she couldn't find any rest from the obsessing image of her dead children. When Zeus saw what had be done to Lamia, he felt pity for her and gave his former lover a gift: she could remove her eyes, and then put them on again. This way, though sleepless, she could rest from her misfortune. Lamia envied other the other mothers and took her vengeance by stealing their children and devouring them.

It IS very, very underrated, and that's sad. Square didn't release this game in North America, and so it never really go much attention in 1992 when the game was originallt released. It's only really been played by Final Fantasy fans, and not really played by the gaming public. It is very different, and it's very innovative. It lets yoiu completly customize your characters, and put you at the helm. The other SNES FF games don't give you near as much control over your characters; the game decides for you, for the most. Also, this was never offically released stateside until FF Anthology for the PSX, and that had alot to do with it being underrated too, I think. Most gamers were turned off by the fact that the graphics were 2-D and 16-bit, as opposed to most other PSX titles.

It's a shame. This game is a true gem. It's probably my favorite FF game.

I don't understand why people are annoyed at lack of characters. I find that in games where you choose who you fight with (and thus who gets a say in some events) the ones you don't choose get left behind, both in story and power. However when you have only four characters no one gets left behind in the story because everyone is there.

Storyline, agreed with the crystals part. However it had a few good twists, (SPOILER)the two planets originally being one etc.

Cliché villain. I like Exdeath, probably one of very few people who actually do. He's evil, he has evil motives, he has an evil laugh and a castle with living walls. I don't see how he's any different to someone like, say, Sephiroth in anything other than appearance and story. How is "Ha ha ha I will become one with the planet and harness it's energy to become a god!" any more cliché sounding than Exdeath's "Fools, I shall send all to the Void and become a god!"?

I will do this. Nothing in my life matters except this. No moment in my life exists except this moment. I am born in this moment, and if I fail, I will die in this moment.

I'm with you there.

Considering the fact that I indulged in the PSone FF games before FFV was re-released on PSone as part of the Final Fantasy Anthology European Edition pack, I found four characters to be a discernible departure from the traditional figure. Although there wasn't a whole load of variety (no unique individual attacks) with four characters, the job system allowed you to make your own decisions and construct a more variable party. Whether you wanted a healer, a primary attacker, or one to afflict status ailments on the opposition, it was all dependant on the player's needs. And Bartz was not a pimp.

The earlier FF games also had plots with regards to crystals, but FFV somehow took advantage of the situation and gave the most enthralling experience.

Exdeath was the only difficult FF antagonist in my view although story-wise I have to agree that he was a little cliché.
    My tongue is a gun, my mouth is a clip, my metaphors are bullets that come out when I spit.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> I know FF5 is underrated, but I think is better that way..
    Im glad to be part of the few people who see the beauty of this game..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

FF6 also gave you a lot of control over how your characters play. Sure, it wasn't a free-for-all job system like FF5, but you could choose which characters would learn what spells, and even switch around abilities. The Genji glove/offering combo is one example, gem box/economizer is another. I also enjoyed being able to give dragoon abilities to any character. The only abilities you couldn't give to anyone you wanted to were steal, mime, blue magic, dance and throw. All the other abilities were completely new to the series at that point.

I actually think FFVI gave you a little TOO much freedom in customizing your characters, since you could raise their stats... FFV was just restrictive enough over what you could do (until the end when you could have your characters learn whatever jobs they hadn't in like twenty minutes, but bleh) that it still provided a challenge. Plus, the enemies weren't total wusses.

FFV's story doesn't make any sense until you replay the game, really. Then it makes perfect sense.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Yup the ununderstandable thing is...How can anyone hate this game?

I loved FFV. I think its one of the best FF games out there. The job system kicks too. I usually save my money that woulda been spent on weapons by making everyone a monk first then keeping brawl on them all through the game whatever classes they go to, that way they get 2 powerful attacks.
    No matter where you fly, no matter where you hide, I will find you.