Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The way it should be done, in my humblest of opinions.

Default The way it should be done, in my humblest of opinions.

I was way back in 1990, and I was 5 years old. I had an NES, and my cousin bought me Final Fantasy 1. I was open to the light. I played it. I loved it. I played it again. I beat it. I beat it at level 99. I beat it at level 99 with four BM's.

So, two years later, I wondered where my FFII was, dammit.

My NES broke shortly after (damn neighbor kid thought it would be a good idea to clean it with a dirty q-tip and some rubbing alcohol,) and my fascination with Final Fantasy was put on temporary hiatus. I was limited to having reminescent memories once in a while, completely unaware that Square was making other Final Fantasies.

Then, many years later, it happened again. That same cousin came to me and brought a shiny (well, matte) new cart of FFV and plopped it into my lap. Well, I played it. It seemed good. Translation was bad. Ooh, I like what they did with the class system. Mode7 graphics are lookin' sharp. Yeah, the story is kinda crud, but, DAMN, ifn't they haven't improved on the music. The ending came to me, and I felt like that 5 year old kid again. My lust was renewed.

Then, due to Square's lack of faith in the American market and my reluctance to hop on the Sony bandwagon like so many other clowns, it was put on hold again... until the beginning of the year 2002.

I discovered the joy of emulators and ROMs.

First, for that oh-so-nostalgic feeling, I fired up a game of FF1. Sweet.

Then, to try and follow the order of things (my mistake), I booted up a game of FF2. Quit shortly thereafter. Eck.

To make matters worse, the next game I attempted was Mystic Quest. Yeah, it's mildy entertaining, but IT'S NOT A FREAKING FINAL FANTASY.

So, my faith in Square began to waver, until, at the advice of a loyal friend, I started a game that was little-known to me at the time... Chrono Trigger. Astonishing. Like a Final Fantasy, only not as dark, depressing, or gloomy, but with the fantastic characters, battle system, and music intact. CT swept me off my feet, and made me see what kind of beauty Square was capable of. After I finished it, I said to myself, "It doesn't get ANY better than that." But, it did.

The next game I tried was FFVI. Incredible. It managed to trump CT in every way. Fantastic storyline, spot-on battle, terrific music, perfect length, just the right amount of non-linear gameplay, but the best part were the CHARACTERS. My goodness, FFVI was really the first time I viewed any video game as a work of art. Each character (All 18 or 19 of em') were, vibrant, had sincere personality, and made you care for them an understand their story. I nearly wept when I saw Shadow's flashbacks and Shadow's ending. I felt rage alongside Cyan. I felt heroism (and a bit of stupidity) alongside Sabin. I laughed at Mog and Umaro. I pondered the relationships between Celes and Edgar. The end of that game rolled around, and I just stared at my computer with awe. To this date, FFVI is the best video game I've ever played, bar none.

After that, I started up FFIII. Yes, it was a good game, but I had just come off my FFVI high, so it didn't seem to impressive. Props for kicking off the battle system.

Right now, I'm playing both FFIV and Breath of Fire. They are both excellent games so far, but I'm not going to hedge my bets. (IV is starting to feel like VI jr., and that's a good thing.)

So, what order did you play you FFs? And what order should I play the PS ones, when I get to them (eventually)?
    I SHALL BUILD A MONUMENT TO NON-EXISTANCE.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Here's what I did.
    • 1997: Final Fantasy VII
    • 1997: Final Fantasy VI
    • 1998: Final Fantasy Tactics
    • 1999: Final Fantasy VIII
    • 1999: Final Fantasy V
    • 2000: Final Fantasy
    • 2000: Final Fantasy IX
    • 2001: Final Fantasy II (tasted it and promptly vomited)
    • 2001: Final Fantasy III
    • 2001: Final Fantasy IV
    • 2001: Final Fantasy X
    • 2002: Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
    • 2003: Final Fantasy II (swallowed it)
    • 2003: Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
    • 2003: Final Fantasy X-2
    The best way to play the PS titles is to play them in the order they were released, I'd say.

In my opinion, after playing VI, no other FF will be as good. But that's me! I hope you have fun with the Playstation FFs.

I played 'em in this order:

FFMQ
    FFIV
    FFVI
    FFVII
    FFIX
    FFX
    FFV

I feel that VII is the only FF worth playing after VI. FFV is pretty cool so far. I think of it as FFVI Jr. After all, FFV uses some of the same sound effects as FFVI. Very cool. It amazes me how much of a leap the FF series took from FFV to FFVI. Suddenly the graphics, music and character development all went way up! Amazing. What caused it?
    The CyberVeldt

FFVI Expert Version 2 is available for download
    and it can be yours by clicking the above link

1991: FF4... Beautiful... It still hold a special place in my heart. I'll never forget characters like Cecil, Kain, Rosa, Rydia, Yang, Palom, Porom... They are all great. And what a villain! Golbez was perfect for that history...

1993: FFMQ, and it entertained me, for a while...

1995: FF6 was amazing, it is the best game I ever played... I remember I loved all those characters so much that I actually cared for them... It is, just like GenjiLeisureSuit said, a work of art... And what a soundtrack! Every little thing about FF6 is great...

1997: Chrono Trigger, and it was beautiful... I remember at first I thought it was silly. I couldn't be more wrong, it has one of the most beautiful storylines ever... And characters that can really surprise you, once you give this game a chance. It is one of the best things I've ever played.

1998: FF7, and it was boring... I must play it again, and finish it, this time.

1998: FFTactics and I love it... Its history full of betrayal and backstabbing is insane, incredible...

1999: FF8, and it was disgusting...

1999: FF1, and I must play it again, and finish it this time... It is a good game, I liked it.

2000: Chono Cross... It was really disappointing, I hate it.

2000: FF5, it's a very good game, with a very good job system... It was good for its time, at least it shows that Square once was trying to create new things.

2001: FF9... It is not a bad game at all, but after the disaster of FF8 anything would be pleasant...

Then I started to replay the good old stuff... I'll try FF10 someday...

I've seen the future, brother. It is murder.

In order...

FF2US (SNES)--awesome
    FFMQ--not bad, but not exceptional either
    FF3US (SNES)--greatest game I've ever played, by far
    ...(long time passes...I eventually buy a PSX so I can play the entire series, starting, of course, with IV and VI again...the rest were all mingled together throughout the next year and a half or so)...
    FFIV
    FFVI
    FFVII--extremely disappointing...I wouldn't call it bad, but I certainly wouldn't call it good, and definitely not what it's made out to be
    Chrono Trigger--pretty good
    FFT--pretty good, although difficult
    FFV--different system than I was used to, but good
    FFII--not bad, just...very different
    FFI--gives me that warm fuzzy feeling inside, playing the one that started it all
    FFVIII--not too terribly bad...but definitely not too good
    Chrono Cross--again, disappointment, but not nearly as severe...not an extremely bad game
    FFIX--not bad, just...interesting

If I'd have to rank them best to worst, they would be 6-4-1-Tactics-5-2-7-9-8

Scatter, Senbonzakura... DocFrance's Avatar

i'm pretty new to Final Fantasy myself.

2002 - FFIV
    2002 - FFI
    2002 - FFVI
    2002 - FFV
    2002 - FFII
    2002 - FFIII
    2002 - CT
    2002 - FFVII
    2003 - Seiken Densetsu 3
    2003 - FFT
    2003 - FFVIII
    2003 - FFIX
    2003 - FFT-A

BTW, Genji, I'm pretty sure that the highest level you can get in FFI is 50, and that FFV was never translated into an English cart on the SNES.
    ARGUMENT FROM GUITAR MASTERY
    (1) Eric Clapton is God.
    (2) Therefore, God exists.

Eoff + Fabio = Win Lord Chainsaw's Avatar

Default Re: The way it should be done, in my humblest of opinions.

Originally posted by GenjiLeisureSuit
    To make matters worse, the next game I attempted was Mystic Quest. Yeah, it's mildy entertaining, but IT'S NOT A FREAKING FINAL FANTASY.
    Oh but it is. And I thought it was quite a wonderful little snack too. It also has some of the best music ever created for a video game. Ever get a load of that Dark King battle music? It's a lot like Guardian's Crusade for the PSX. A fun little break from the rest of the harsh RPG world. Even when I go back to play it today I still find it quite a bundle of fun.

The order I went was:

FFIV
    FFVI
    FFMQ
    FFI
    FFVII
    FFVIII
    FFV
    FFII
    FFIII
    FFIX
    FFX

My order:
    Started in late 1980s:
    FFI (not finnished)
    FFMQ
    FFIV
    FFVI (dreaming about this game every since I seen the preview in a magasine)
    CT
    FFI (finnished)
    FFL3
    FFA
    SD3 (if that counts, I think its Secret of Mana though and not FF, But I seen others write it down)
    FFV
    FFII & III FFL 1-2 (started... then quickly abandoned)
    FFVII - 1999/2000 (something like that)
    FFVIII - 2002 I believe
    Rented a PS: FFIX (I got as far as I could in one night)
    Played my friends PS2: FFX (one hour)

I think I followed the order fairly well. I don't have any advanced gaming systems (damn Square for going PS and not N64), so I haven't played the new ones.
    Some people choose the path straight and narrow,
    others take the road less travelled,
    I cut through the woods

MQ
    FFVII
    FFIX
    FFVIII
    FFX
    FFVI
    FFV

Im about to start FFII

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFI
    FFIV
    FFMQ
    FFVI
    CT
    FFVII
    FFT
    FFV
    FFVIII
    CC
    FFIX
    FFX
    FFII
    FFIII
    FFX-2

I am probably forgetting something but whatever.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

CT
    FFVI(Thought the game sucked and quit after 7 minutes)
    FFVII
    FFVIII
    FFIV
    FFMQ
    FFV
    FFVI(actually play through the piece of trout)
    FFI
    FFII
    FFIII
    Legend of Mana
    CC
    FFIX
    Xenogears
    Xenosaga
    Tales of Eternia

I remembered long ago (about 6 or more years) I started the all-famous FFVII, which I never actually enjoyed for some reason, maybe I was too young then.

at around 2000, I found a CD and guess what, it hads 100+ SNES games! I went for FFVI and loved it but never completed it (accidentally deleted the save files)

Then I tried FFIV and began to love it but got stuck at the underground random encounter which I figured that the CD has a bug (mob keeps killing me). So I quitted.

Months later, I got the desire to replay FFVI but once I completed like 70% of WoR (same as the first time), the computer broke down with a virus and had to reformatt

FFVI replayed came again a month later, went to tower, but I remember I was playing another game and accidentally overwrited my FFVI gamesave!!!

FFVI replayed came again and no, something happened, I can't remember.

2001, FFVIII entered my life. My mind boggles at Junction system, played it without knowing wtf is junction (I'm impatient at tutorials lol) til Disk 3 and stopped.

FFVI replayed, heck I could remember every lines....but no, not yet completed.

FFVII replayed, kicked some asses, went far, but then, I stopped at the end of Disk One.

FFVI replayed, went to final boss, went up and up and up, but com crashed. BAH.

FFV attempted, but ROm was in Japenese =\

FFI came, random encounter kicked my ass lol.

FFVI replayed and FINALLY completed it with level 50 characters (except for Sabin who is level 87). Sabin was the...'trainer'...you see.

FFVII replayed, discovered omfg, Jenova at end of disk one (Life Jenova or something) uses water attacks! man, I thought they were purple fireballs! Equipped water ring, went far and maybe it's the polygons or my screen but I got lost somewhere. No offence you FFVII lovers

FFVI replayed omfg. Went to WoR, got every relic and Esper I could think of, killed Kefka at level 45.

FFVI replayed again, this time killing Kefka with 3 level 80 characters.

Chrono Cross came! Completed it, killed boss, win!

Chorno Cross replayed! Got more characters, killed boss, got all items I could think of, win!

Chorno Cross replayed! Got Marle, stop. lol.

FFTactics came! DIE GAFGARION! DIE WIEGRAF! DIE DIE DIE!!! UWEEHEEHEEHEEHEE!!!!!!!! Win.

FFIX! Lol, it was so funny killing the last boss with Auto Regen and Summons.

CT came, played halfway tho...

FFVIII replayed! understands junction, went far, got boring, quit.

For me it was:
    FFVI: I loved this game!!! Opened my eyes to beauty that I'd never before known.

FFVII: Liked it a lot though not sure if I like it better than VI. It seemed kinda gloomy and hopeless. It was kinda too dark.

Skipped VIII

FFIX: I love this game but I know that it doesn't compare to FFVI.

FFV: Played it for like five minutes with a mod chip. Don't remember what happened though.

Isn't FFMQ and FFI the same game? I always thought that it was. If not, then there's been an extra FF floating around out there all this time that I didn't know about. For shame.

OMG! You havent played FF7 yet?!?!?! *shock and amazement* FF7 and FF6 in my opinion are both on par with each other. You should also try Tactics. but anyway heres my order:

FF8
    FF7
    FF9
    FF10
    FF1
    FFT
    FFX-2
    FF6

currently im juggling FF2,3, and 5 around
    I'm back bitches!!!

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

Played and beat..
    FF1
    FFMQ..
    the same of above
    FF9
    FF5 (Psx and Snes)
    FF7
    CT (Psx and Snes)
    FFO (just FF1)
    FFT
    FF8

Just played..
    CC
    FF6 (psx and Snes)
    FF4 (psx and Snes)
    FF3
    FF2
    FF10
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..