Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looks like this is going to be another skimpily dressed game

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

No, the place to turn it around is through the parents, and through education. Video games, tv, and the media is not supposed to raise our world's children. That isnt what they're there for. I played plenty of violent games and watched plenty of violent movies, but I'm not violent. My parents raised me better. Once people start taking responsibilities for their own actions, then we'll see a change. Or at least, that's how I feel.

Yes it is the parents main responsibility to do it. But vido games and the others are not free of the responsibility because they are in an area where they can reach the children. It is not the main responsibility of theirs, but it is still a responsibility. And they should still think twice about the way they make the games. Because they still have the ability to be a good infuence or adding fuel to the fire.

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

As I said before, video game influence is not that big a deal. It's a cop out. Like saying the Columbine shooters did so because they played a lot of Doom. Or the kid who commited suicide because his Elfquest character died or some such. Society needs to find a place to put the blame, and no one is willing to take it so... blame the video games!

I highly doubt anyone is going to expose their panties because Rikku does so. That trend started a long time ago in the music community, and I've already seen 8 year olds do it.

Video games are not responsible for anything. They're tools of entertainment. They arent there to educate, to reform, or to raise. It's just not what their made for. I really don't feel video game designers should worry about "Hmm... will this make an 8 year old want to show her panties?"

Personally, I don't care. So long as they aren't messing up original characters.

Star gone! Shadow Staffer Recognized Member eternalshiva's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Personnally, I know that some of the old FF games, the monsters, some were naked. and SIREN, a summon, has always been naked but in the North American version, they put bikinis on them or something, they look clothed.

So, this isn't new to Asia, just to narrow minded north America ;p
    Too big.

eternalshiva how does that make North American's narrow minded.

In fact most people who don't play video games think that them placing all this scantily dressed and nude characters in their games is down right stupid and pretty immature.

They could sell just as many final fantasy games even if they gave the characters full outfits. So why do they find it necessary to dress them in the way they do.

In fact a couple years ago when I got ff10 for christmas. Me and my brother were playing and my sister walked by. And the first thing she noticed when she looked at the screen was how they seemed to be focusing the camera in on specific body areas of the certain female character in the scene at the time. And how she was particularly dressed. And she kind of was a little disgusted. And me and my brother just had to go'that this is how they make girls in video games nowadays.'
    Last edited by darkchrono; 12-02-2003 at 05:04 PM.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

lol well take it super seriously if you want but I just meant that people get WAY to upset about clothes in video games. And yeah, they did focus on Lulu's tatas but who wouldn't >.<

I'm just saying that North America still thinks of nudity as a bad thing, a taboo. It's just a game. Sorry If I insulted you.

Unfortunately for today's society, sex sells and that's what people are buying. If the consumers would change the message, the looks of things would change.

Boycott scandally dressed women games then. Write some letters.

Men in video games are portrayed as muscled super hot and god-like but no one complains about that because the majority of vg players are male and who doesn't want to be GOD like in an RPG?

So, lead females are taking on a more sleek and sexy look, like some of us women would want to look like in our deep dark fantasies ;p I wish I could pull off the skirt look she has, that would rock. Its just a fantasy image, like comics or even TV. That's what the consumer is lapping up.

People always complain but do nothing and that's where the business is taking the so-called-holy image of FF.

Again, maybe narrow minded is the wrong word to use but that's how I feel about it.
    Too big.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

They should have a scene where her chest is exposed just so people don't complain about being almost naked.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

lol Yeah, it would get alot of complaining out of the way
    Too big.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Darkchrono, I understand you have every right to be upset about this. Scarcely clad characters do offend some people, and obviously, you're one of those people.

However, I think you are going to have to accept some of these things as fact. Sex is part of our society. It is something that everyone is going to deal with someday, it's something everyone has always had to deal with all throughout history. Just because our society advertises it, doesn't make it right or wrong. It just means that it's something that grabs people's attention, it's something people are interested in.

Like eternalshiva said, it all has to do with the image that people wish they could attain. Be it the god-like, muscular body, or the sleek and smooth sexiness that the characters seem to be displaying now. Square Enix is trying to promote their game by using something they know that interests people. If it's a sexual thing, they're going to use it, their goal is to make money, they are a company.

I believe that The Abominatrix has already debunked your theory of this being a new thing enough. You're going to have to accept that this is not a new thing to Final Fantasy, and if you wanted to bitch and moan about it, you should have been doing it years ago. I'll give you a countdown from X-2 to the earlier games, take a look at how much it changes... or how little really.

X-2: Rikku and Yuna showin' lots of skin and leg. Rikku even showing the side 'straps' of a bikini style or thong underwear.

X: Rikku still showin' a lot of skin and Lulu sporting some large breasts. Neither of that is new to the series either.

IX: Just look at Garnet and tell me that her skintight jumpsuit isn't as provokative as anything else I've said so far. It's skin tight! Not to mention Zidane's comment in Dali.

VIII: Rinoa is wearin' spandex for christ's sake. Sure, she has a jacket over it, but she's showin' just as much leg as Rikku and Yuna are in X-2.

VII: Look a Tifa, take a gander for a second. Now, tell me where your attention is drawn.

VI-IV: You can't see it, 'cause the graphics don't allow it, but as The Abominatrix has pointed out, they're all pretty much wearin' bathing suits, and in FFIV, as Ash said, there's those dancers. Sure, you can't see it, but just talk to the people in the area and you know what the place is supposed to be.

I-III: Honestly, there's really nothing scandalous about these. I've played I and II, and seen screen shots of III, and there's nothing terribly provokative, but some monsters are sure wearin' close to nothing... humanoid monsters!

Really, your proof is debunked right there. If you still feel strongly about it, please feel strongly about it to yourself after you've expressed your views. We really don't need you to be fightin' a war on your own when nobody is siding with you. If you don't respect something about a game, you shouldn't really come and complain about it to us, we can't do anything about it.

If you feel this is such a big issue, talk to Square Enix about it. But chances are, that's futile. They will probably just ignore you, or you'll get some kind of crap response telling you it's not their responsibility who gets their games. If a ten-year-old is playin' a teen game, it's their parent's fault. That was your biggest arguement, introducing younger people to this too early, but that's not the video game industry's problem, that's the parent's problem.

Just because there are some people who find this disgusting or inappropriate for others, doesn't mean they're going to stop making it. Just because some kid gets his hands on a material that is rated T or M, doesn't make it their problem. You're going to accept that on this arguement, that you're the minority and that all you're ever going to be told is, "If you don't want to see this kind of stuff, don't buy the game/movie/ect." Complaining will get you nowhere. Society doesn't always agree with what's moral, get used to it.

yep, I figured that I wouldn't get a lot of supporters from a site like this. I just pretty much planned to try to raise a controversial topic here.

Many people here are big final fantasy and video game fans and will pretty much take their side on what they choose to put out on the market. So in essence they are probably going to try to overlook all the controversial things people are doing with games nowadays.

Where as people who do not play video games much or at all would probably take my side on the topic.

What is funny though is that games where they try to emphasize the storyline and make the game as realistic as possible. Such as games like xenogears and xenosaga. All the characters are dressed completely normal.

I think final fantasy games would be that much better if they followed the types of paths that those games are taking. Not so much in a space opera. But how they present the storyline and the characters.

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

I think people who don't play video games at all would probably not care. They're not real people, why should anyone make a fuss as to how they're dressed?

The picture I attached seems pretty revealing to me. Certainly as revealing as some other FF characters.

FF focuses plenty on the storyline and characters... in fact, the games that bug you... have you played X-2? I know you havent played XII, because obviously it isnt out yet. Just because a character is dressed in ways you find revealing doesnt mean they're bad characters, or that they arent developed.

And Zaphier and Shiva, you guys put it perfectly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

lol, that's true. Maybe kos-mos is an exception. But you have to say that they did not make an obvious attempt to focus in on kos-mos's body parts like they did for the characters in ff10.

And you have to admit that overall xenosaga was much more tact than ff10 was.

And though they can have good development. I think you are able to take the characters much more seriously when they are created in xenosaga's manner other than in ff10's manner. And as a result you are able to take the storyline more seriously.

But then again, Xenosaga is made to be taken seriously. Where as ff games aren't completely supposed to.

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

No, I simply think you need some sort of excuse. I dont need characters to be dressed a certain way to take them more seriously. I dont need them to be dressed like nuns so I can take the storyline seriously. Clothes are clothes, they dont make the person, they dont make the character.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

How is having a metal thong and metal body suit not an attempt at focusing on her "perfection" ? I don;t know about you but I thought she was pretty hot, and thigh high boots? She's a lethal fem-bot :\ The men in the games are just as skimpy, they show nipples, and wear tight clothes.

What about Tekken ... or any fight game to that, you think FF is bad, i don;t kknow why they bother putting clothes on them. And that volleyball game where they have the fight girls in bikinis ha ha ha ha ha I thought that was a pretty lame attempt to turn that into a serious game.

Final Fantasy is a Fantasy. If you take your games so seriously that it affects your life, get out more often >.< Just because the game is sexualized doesn't mean that real life is like that. And they're fictional characters. I would be upset if it was a flesh and blood person prancing around like that but why get upset over pixels and graphics? Britney Spears and Christina are disgusting, FF characters - not real unless you live for Cosplay.

Plus, I'm glad Yuna's getting her freak on anyways, poor girl, a widow, dead boyfriend, dead parents and her religion was a scam. I think its time to wear skimpy clothes!

*hugs*
    Too big.