View Poll Results: Which FF would make the best game-->film conversion?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Final Fantasy VI

1 8.33%
  • Final Fantasy VII

5 41.67%
  • Final Fantasy VIII

3 25.00%
  • Final Fantasy IX

1 8.33%
  • Final Fantasy X

2 16.67%

Thread: Film Conversion

Default Film Conversion

Which Final Fantasy story would make the best game-->film conversion? Not like The Spirits Within, but an actual game conversion, with the same storyline, same characters, etc. I think FFX would make a good conversion because the storyline is relatively simple to understand, but the best conversion would be FFVII, because it is (arguably) the best FF of all time.

Note: when I said not like The Spirits Within, I meant a film with real life actors, not a computer generated film.
    Last edited by TheSpoonyBard; 11-27-2003 at 10:25 PM.

i said FF8 cus its easirer to relate to (i think) plus the technology is quite beleivalbe (crappy spelling) thi is y i think it would make a good film
    Quote Originally Posted by My Mate Nats
    awww
    i love you matt
    you rock
    you always cheer me up
    you make me giggle
    oh...trout....i dont love you in that way

FFX has a very linear plot, it would be easier to script. I can't imagine how much you'd have to cut out and add to others to make the story appear fluent in a film. FF8 wouldn't work, too much of the storyline is moulded around giving you another boss to fight or another mini-quest, with non of the mini quests or monsters making too much of an impact to the rest of the game (which is important in a film), until you discover the big plot twists, the biggest of which has been used so many times in films it would make the whole thing look cheap.

FF8 would work better as a TV series, each episode with a SeeD mission and a monster which doesn't need to be remembered in the next episode and a long term plot building up the same twists in the game.

Scatter, Senbonzakura... DocFrance's Avatar

It's a pity you only listed FFVI-FFX, 'cause I say FFIV would make the best movie or movie series.

And if you're worried about length, you've got to keep in mind that most of the actual game consists of fighting battles, leveling up, talking to unimportant NPC's, going on unimportant side-quests, and messing around with that game's particular battle system, all of which wouldn't belong in a movie. I'd say the average FF is at most 25% meaningful plot and storyline.
    ARGUMENT FROM GUITAR MASTERY
    (1) Eric Clapton is God.
    (2) Therefore, God exists.

Blog Entries

There are simply too many characters in all the FF games for it to be made into a film. If anyone tried to make a 30+ hour game into a 2 hour movie, may god have mercy on his/her soul because it'll probably end up like Cruel Intentions 2.

However, since this is abstractly speaking. Out of the list you've given I think FFIX would make the best movie. The medieval setting, vast amount of strange races/species, a likeable main character, heaps of special magic effects, comic relief...

There's no better game that could represent 'Final Fantasy' out in the big screen world.

Originally posted by DocFrance
    It's a pity you only listed FFVI-FFX, 'cause I say FFIV would make the best movie or movie series.
    Amen!

I love FF6 history, but I think it would be hard to squeeze it in 2 or 3 hours...

FF4 has a short (but great) history, a cast of excellent characters, and a great villain...

I've seen the future, brother. It is murder.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

FFI, obviously. Even FFII would take two movies to be done properly.

I'ma go with FFIV for pretty much the same reasons Doc stated, but it'd probably take a couple of movies to be done properly, as well.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Okay, I'll prbably be lynched for saying this, but... I think that FFTA would make a pretty good film. Since there's so little story, there's a lot of space for the scriptwriters to come up with stuff. The cute stylings and rather head-pounding moral would fit in with American ideas of animated family films (assuming that it would be an American production, like I believe SW was).

Erm, anyone agree..?

*runs*

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

The Spirits Within was, despite itself, a Japanese production.