Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japanese version... is it better?

Default Japanese version... is it better?

I've seen some translations from the Japanese version of the game and I've found that it's a tad different from the U.S...

For example, there's more CidxShera... Tifa sounds alot more shyer and Cait Sith is less of a jerk. (For example, at the Temple of Ancients when Cloud starts attacking Aeris, there's no, "Oops! This looks like I came at a bad time! I'm Cait Sith No. 2. Right pleased to meet you all!" there's, "This is Cait #2 speaking... *sees Cloud punching the daylights out of Aeris* OH MY GOD!!!"

Heh, what do you guys think about this? o.o

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

The only real failing of Sony's translation, I think, is that it didn't make clear that Reeve used an accent to disguise his voice while speaking through Cait Sith, so when the rest of the party makes the connection late in the game, a lot of people find it hard to understand why. He IS given an accent at times, using "y'all" and such, but it's not consistent at all like it is in the Japanese version.

i heard somewhere that in the japanese version, it shows cloud in a weird room in the beginning...what's that all about?
    "There are some people in this world like me who have killed their emotions long ago. Never forget that." -Shadow, to Terra
    "Yes! The emnity is growing! The only thing pure in this world is emnity!...Now, let love bleed! Darker and deeper than the seas of hell!" -Lynx

Cloud in a room in the beginning? Never heard of it.

I've never really noticed Cait Sith's accent until I played the game over again and paid more attention to the little details... But what I don't get is he's still "y'all"ing even after everyone already knows that's it's Reeve controlling him

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

You may be thinking about the DeBug room, Forever. That's accesable through GameShark.

o
    "There are some people in this world like me who have killed their emotions long ago. Never forget that." -Shadow, to Terra
    "Yes! The emnity is growing! The only thing pure in this world is emnity!...Now, let love bleed! Darker and deeper than the seas of hell!" -Lynx

Gameshark?Room in the begining? coll
    "Ayla must win. Win and live.Lose and die.No changes rule."

Ayla is the best. If People say she's annoying,these people are no sense of change.

Why Ayla is my favorite?She's Very funnny and looks like me in the mental part (forget the poor english)
    I'm funny friendly, strong... An human version of Ayla.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

From what I remember, from this room you can access FMVs and all points of the game. Ive never used it, but the code and explination are probably at www.gameshark.com

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

You can do everything Ash said, plus decide what characters to place in your party and fight these enemies that look like Reno's Pyramid effect and give off massive amounts of experience, basically allowing you to level up rapidly before jumping into a point in the game.

I'm sure there are other things to do, like play music and such, but I've only tried it once, since it's so prone to freezing up, and this is all I definitely remember.

The text in the menus obviously predates the final translation, as well, leaving you with phonetic names like Yufi and Ket Shi.

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Originally posted by RyuuRaigeki
    Anyways, Square did a pretty good job translating as well as they could. FFVII got a better 'dub' than many as equally deserving anime.
    That's a joke, right?

Aeris:"Hmmmmm, so that's how you'll fool them..."
    Cloud:"Hmmmmm, so that's how you fooled them..."
    Me:"Hmmmmmmmm?"

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Square didn't handle the translation, anyway. Sony did.

Originally posted by DJzen
    Aeris:"Hmmmmm, so that's how you'll fool them..."
    Cloud:"Hmmmmm, so that's how you fooled them..."
    I never even understood what they were trying to say in that part, even after playing it a bunch of times. Anyone want to enlighten me?

For the most part, the translation was okay. There are some things that could have been better (like that quote above) but I understood what was going on most of the time.

In Japanese the only difference between
    "So that's how you fooled them?"
    and
    "(yes) That's how I fooled them"
    Is the word "ka" at the end of the first sentence to denote its a question. This is probably where the mistake came from
    --Cal

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Makes sense. I still think the translation wasn't very good though. A lot of the time I couldn't really follow what was happening because the sentences were fragmented or contextually awkward or used too many unclear antecedants or..... ugh. But yeah, I think they've learned their lesson. I haven't had this problem with their recent games.

Originally posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
    Square didn't handle the translation, anyway. Sony did.
    It's not Sony's fault, it's that #@#$ PIZZA!