Thread: [A] A couple of vectors

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Smile A couple of vectors

Haven't been round here for a while so thought I'd post a couple of vector-art's I've been doing, in case anyone is interested in that sorta stuff.

Used Adobe Illustrator for both. Not sure if you need to copy and paste links or if they will work.

Here is the first just a girl, traced from a magazine pic, took like 5 hours though ><

http://files.deviantart.com/f/2004/0...didasgirl2.gif

Here is the second, a VW beetle which I traced from a pic but jazzed up a bit and added a background to:

http://files.deviantart.com/f/2004/0...etleflames.gif
    rawr

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Nice pictures, Have you ever tried that Flash program?, that use vector art too..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't know what an Illustrator is or what it's supposed to do, but those pics look great!
    Hello Pika Art by Dr Unne ~~~ godhatesfraggles

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Thanks black orb and Leeza, yeah I've used Flash a bit, it's quite fun. And Illustrator is Adobe Illustrator, a program which makes vector graphics, they have a nice look to them, I think =)
    rawr

I like them. Do you mind saying what vector art is?

Chaos

I give you stick-pokies!
    Livejournal~Elfwood Gallery~

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Thanks Chaos.

This is a description from a FAQ at DeviantArt:

// What does "vector" mean? //

Vector Art is a technique, not a style. Perhaps a better term for the category would be " vector-based art," meaning art created in a vector-based program. Vector art consists of creating paths and points in a program such as illustrator or freehand. The program keeps track of the relationships between these points and paths. Everytime the image is scaled, the paths are regenerated... this creates images that are infinitely scalable without degradation. Great for illustrations, logos and things that need to be sharp. So vector art is anything that's created in illustrator, freehand, corel draw, flash or other " vector" illustration programs. (vector programs: Illustrator, Freehand, Flash, Corel Draw...)

The other side of the coin is raster art. Raster art consists of pixel information, where every pixel is assigned a RGB or CMYK value. This can create smoother and more detailed images for photos and paintings, but if the image is scaled, the program has to create new information resulting in that crappy look too massively scaled gifs and jpegs. (Raster programs: Photoshop, Painter, Fireworks, MS Paint, Gimp, etc.)

Obviously my picture is not a true vector now because it has to be saved as a jpg, which is a raster file format. But, I created it as vectors by making paths in Illustrator with the pen. In Illustrator these can be scaled up and down, without losing quality. I find vector images have a nice look to them, you see these sorta things in magazine illustrations or logos. So yeah.. it's a format not a style but generally you would use vector art as a term for things created in Illustrator like this.
    rawr

Ohh... vector art. The first thing that poped into my head when I read vector was Geometry. Hey, these are pretty good! I like the stuff.
    What's a jellicle cat?

it probably is based on geometry from the impression I got in the description, lol

those are really cool...wish I could draw or have good art programs like that *is cheap but not into illegal stuff*
    "We don't know what we're going to do when we get there, but we're not going to die without good reason."- Heero Yuy, Gundam Wing

email me here!
    my little home away from home