Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A really long quest

Post A really long quest

Hey everyone, this is my first post, but i thought i would put this here, cuz im playing II

Yeah basically i woke up one day and said "Hey im gonna play every single Final Fanatsy game that was rpg style, in order"

So here i am a week later, im done with I, but i though I would just ask, when should i play mystic quest, like after IV? lol

thanx

Check out the clones!
    (I call the third one Skippy!)

Being Who Transcended All Black Mage's Avatar

I wouldn't. But, that's mainly because I hated it.

FFUSA wasn't my cup of tea, but I'm sure some people here will tell you otherwise, so you should probably listen to them.

I say play Mystic quest whenever. It's not part of the main series and is really only a beginners RPG meant to get people hooked into RPG's.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Mystic Quest is a bad game. You can beat it very fast. But, I think it came out after FF4.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Yeah, it did come after Final Fantasy IV. As was mentioned before, it is a beginner's game. The box for the game even says that it is an entry-level role-playing game. The graphics and music are awesome (colorful and cool for a SNES) and there are some puzzles that you have to solve by interacting with the environment, Zelda style. But there isn't much replay value beyond the first, and maybe second time through, as everything runs the same every time (the monsters are visible on the screen and they don't move). But it should be fun to try out for a little while at least.
    Figaro Castle

Originally posted by Omni Legacy
    Mystic Quest is a bad game. You can beat it very fast. But, I think it came out after FF4.
    Indeed.

Well, Square made the game for beginners, and in that case, it's a great way to teach them the basics of RPGs (and Final Fantasy). I think I've heard that they intended to release it before FFIV, in order to get people interested, but instead it was released afterwards, wich meant it flopped.

But my suggestion would actually be, play FFMQ BEFORE the other games. If you're a newbie, that is...
    "Take care, Ho!"
    - Dwarf from FFIV

Originally posted by Fredde
    Well, Square made the game for beginners, and in that case, it's a great way to teach them the basics of RPGs (and Final Fantasy). I think I've heard that they intended to release it before FFIV, in order to get people interested, but instead it was released afterwards, wich meant it flopped.

But my suggestion would actually be, play FFMQ BEFORE the other games. If you're a newbie, that is...
    Indeed, but I actually rather enjoyed FFMQ alot more than FFX, and FF8.

It really truly is a great game even if you are a expert RPG player, you just gotta be in the mood for it, besides, who DOESN'T like FFMQ's boss and battle music?

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

I really don't understand how it's intended for newbies. It's not like they used a particularly flashy engine, and the gameplay is standard pre-ATB FF fare. I remember playing it back when it came out and thinking "wow, I hate these battle arena. Wow, I REALLY hate these battle arenas." I like the game, mostly for how the hero (who has whatever name you decide to give him but I think his name is supposedly Benjamin) gets pissed off at everyone. "Wow, this dungeon sure was tough to beat! See you later!" "I COULD stick around with you and fight more monsters, but I've got magic armor to hunt down!" "Say, can you spare 10GP for a cup of coffee *runs away*". The "WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON HERE?!" expression he gives is not to be missed. It almost looks like he's flipping you off!

Getting back to the point of this thread though, I'd say play it AFTER you play every other game. It's refreshing to finally breeze through a FF game, and you'll appreciate the parody elements that much more.

i agree i would just not play it, it's waste of time. Though I guess you could use it as a refreshing break from the others.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Originally posted by DJzen
    I really don't understand how it's intended for newbies. It's not like they used a particularly flashy engine, and the gameplay is standard pre-ATB FF fare. I remember playing it back when it came out and thinking "wow, I hate these battle arena. Wow, I REALLY hate these battle arenas." I like the game, mostly for how the hero (who has whatever name you decide to give him but I think his name is supposedly Benjamin) gets pissed off at everyone. "Wow, this dungeon sure was tough to beat! See you later!" "I COULD stick around with you and fight more monsters, but I've got magic armor to hunt down!" "Say, can you spare 10GP for a cup of coffee *runs away*". The "WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON HERE?!" expression he gives is not to be missed. It almost looks like he's flipping you off!

Getting back to the point of this thread though, I'd say play it AFTER you play every other game. It's refreshing to finally breeze through a FF game, and you'll appreciate the parody elements that much more.
    It's considered a beginner's game because everything is the exact same every time. The enemies are in the same spot and they always have the same enemy party composition. Items are always found in the same spots and you can't get any items at random, like stealing from enemies or enemies dropping items. The only way you can realy mix it up is to go into a dungeon again and clean out the enemies again, earning more experience.
    Figaro Castle

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I though Mystic Quest was fun. It's a good way to spend an idle afternoon, or at least it was back when it came out and I was 13 or whatever.

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Mystic Quest's music isn't bad.

The story, gameplay, and graphics were, though.

Originally posted by Citizen Bleys

heh agreed

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Originally posted by Citizen Bleys

Wow, you must really hate FF games then, considering the gameplay is basically FF1 with a jump button and the graphics are just FF4 graphics with cartoonier monsters. And yes, the story is somewhat lacking, but really only when you compare it to other FF games. If you just consider it for its individual merits it's a perfectly fine game.