Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you consider FF7 Cid a Dragoon?

Basically, the job classes in FFIV represent also, the different ways of fighting. In a similar way, you could class the FFIX people (Freya the dragoon in this case) or even FFX (Yuna as surprise surprise a summoner). If you looked at the classses, I dare say you found some class you decided you would like to be if you were like, in magical and medievil times.

Just my two cents (I'm english really so just my two pennies)
    --Cal

Originally posted by Caltrap
    However, he has all the aspects of a Dragoon, so I think he is:
    *Drumroll*
    What a dragoon knight would be if he existed today.
    I agree with this.

"Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."

He is a dragoon just like Cloud is a knight,Aeris is a white mage and Tifa a monk

The way I see it, It's just square saying "Hey look we keep all our traditions, not just biggs, wedge and cid! But uhhh how can we make a Dragoon in this time setting.... I know! we'll make some one just like a Dragoon, but we'll make him more like the average asshole!" (i do like cid but he is a bit of an @$$ to be around) so, yes he is a dragoon but no he isn't.... I hate paradoxes.

Cloud - Warrior / Knight
    Barret - Gunner
    Tifa - Monk
    Aeris - White Mage
    Yuffie - Thief
    Red XIII - ?
    Vincent - ?
    Cid - Dragoon
    Cait Sith - shouldn't exist

i've been saying for years that based on their "Limit Breaks" and inherent skills i believe they keep the traditional character classes, and by this i believe, yes, Cid is a dragoon...

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd say for Nanaki probably red mage (he's plenty good with magic to be a red)

as for vincent then really he's like a gunner but he's obviously not (he uses a gun but the attack style don't fit) maybe a blue mage - time and status magic? similar to transform

I think Vincent should be sniper, what with his cold attitude and stuff...

Originally posted by Caltrap
    Cid is not a dragoon Knight because they don't exist in FFVIIs game timeline. (tecnically)
    How do we know that Dragoons haven't existed in the FFVII world? Perhaps they have all been eradicated, and Cid is, unknowingly, their last heir?
    "Take care, Ho!"
    - Dwarf from FFIV

Originally posted by DocFrance
    How could he not be a Dragon Knight? Let's look at the facts:

- last name: Highwind - just like Richard Highwind, Cain Highwind, and King Alexander Highwind Tycoon - all Dragon Knights
    - wields various pole-arms, the weapon of choice of Dragon Knights (one of said pole-arms is called the Dragoon Lance)
    - Three of his limit breaks (Boost Jump, Hyper Jump, and Dragon Dive) all involve incredible acrobatic feats, just like Dragon Knights
    - Two of his limit breaks (Dragon and Dragon Dive) have to do with dragons
    - His Dragon limit break abosrbs HP and MP from a taret, just like the Dragon Knights' ability !Lance in FFV
    Exactly. I'd consider him a Dragon Knight though, not Dragoon, since Dragoon was a mistranslation, but bleh
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Yeah, I'm guessing that they only used "dragoon" because of space constraints. While "dragon knight" might only take up 2 or 3 character spaces in Japanese (depending on how much of it is kanji) it's too long in english to use as a character class. Although dragon knight is kind of a weird class name outside of FF2, considering Richard/Gareth never had a jump ability, but he talked to dragons. Dragon knights after that never had any sort of affinity for dragons, but they DID have a nifty jump ability. I think the name they had in tactics (lancer) is more appropriate.

Yeah, dragoon was used because of space constraints, just like Golbeza, Cayenne and Stragos were shortened to Golbez, Cyan and Strago. Bad luck really.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Originally posted by Fredde
    How do we know that Dragoons haven't existed in the FFVII world? Perhaps they have all been eradicated, and Cid is, unknowingly, their last heir?

...dont even start that type of talk,we're gana get into a little whos who whats what war.Fanfics are for that type of talk. there are no dragoon knight TITLES, he may very well one of that kind, but there is no such TITLE for them in this fantasy,future game.

n o - l o v e - o r - g l o r y
    Goodbyes|Me|Trinity|Us|Mako Eyes
    Mercenary

I don't consider Cid as a Dragoon/Dragon Knight/Lancer/Whatever. It's just one guy that says bad things and use a spear. He would be a shame to the Dragon Knights.

Scatter, Senbonzakura... DocFrance's Avatar

...as opposed to Cain Highwind, who betrayed his friends on several occasions, and was an overall bastard?
    ARGUMENT FROM GUITAR MASTERY
    (1) Eric Clapton is God.
    (2) Therefore, God exists.

Originally posted by Dark Dragon Knight
    I don't consider Cid as a Dragoon/Dragon Knight/Lancer/Whatever. It's just one guy that says bad things and use a spear. He would be a shame to the Dragon Knights.

I think he would be ashamed to BE a Dragon knight...

n o - l o v e - o r - g l o r y
    Goodbyes|Me|Trinity|Us|Mako Eyes
    Mercenary