Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you consider FF7 Cid a Dragoon?

Default Would you consider FF7 Cid a Dragoon?

This got me really curious the other day, I mean, he does have jump limit breaks, and uses a spear, just he's not the traditional dragoon knight in cool looking armour..ect..

What do you guys think?

I think he's just a middle age pilot with the coolest line in the game.
    I have a signature now. Am I cool yet?

Blog Entries

Well put Pete.

If Jump isn't in the ability menu, he ain't no Dragoon, I says.

Originally posted by Al Bhed³

If Jump isn't in the ability menu, he ain't no Dragoon, I says.
    Umm...No?

By that logic, Richard(FF2) isn't a Dragoon, which he obviously is.

Blog Entries

Oh yea...my bad. I'm gonna go somewhere else now since I've made a fool outta myself.

Scatter, Senbonzakura... DocFrance's Avatar

How could he not be a Dragon Knight? Let's look at the facts:

- last name: Highwind - just like Richard Highwind, Cain Highwind, and King Alexander Highwind Tycoon - all Dragon Knights
    - wields various pole-arms, the weapon of choice of Dragon Knights (one of said pole-arms is called the Dragoon Lance)
    - Three of his limit breaks (Boost Jump, Hyper Jump, and Dragon Dive) all involve incredible acrobatic feats, just like Dragon Knights
    - Two of his limit breaks (Dragon and Dragon Dive) have to do with dragons
    - His Dragon limit break abosrbs HP and MP from a taret, just like the Dragon Knights' ability !Lance in FFV
    ARGUMENT FROM GUITAR MASTERY
    (1) Eric Clapton is God.
    (2) Therefore, God exists.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Personally, I don't think Cid is a dragoon, because frankly, I don't think there are any job classes in FFVII. I suppose if you based all your materia around a certain job it could be possible, but I don't really think many people do that, instead choosing to have a balance of summons, magic and mixed commands.
    If Cid had his limit break abilities readily avaliable as a menu choice rather than only occasionally, then yeah, I think he'd be a dragoon. However, I think Square only put those dragoon-similar moves in as they couldn't think of any other skills for a spearman, and also maybe as a nod to previous games, which I think was the case in the name "Highwind".

Well, he has the spear but I don't consider him as a Dragoon...

Im just going by what you have posted for the critera of a Dragoon(Dragon??) Knight.I havent played the other FF with them in it(save for 9).

I think Cid is a Dragon Knight,but(always a catch,yes?) from what I have heard,the earlyer final fantasys were all midevil style.Now,Knights are from the midevil ages,piolets arnt.And a knight wouldnt have fit very well in FF VII.I think he may be a dragon knight,but they didnt lable him that or hint twords that because of the day and age the game took place.
    Last edited by zacks_clone; 02-02-2004 at 01:54 AM.

n o - l o v e - o r - g l o r y
    Goodbyes|Me|Trinity|Us|Mako Eyes
    Mercenary

Cid is not a dragoon Knight because they don't exist in FFVIIs game timeline. (tecnically)
    However, he has all the aspects of a Dragoon, so I think he is:
    *Drumroll*
    What a dragoon knight would be if he existed today.

Wasn't that worth it
    --Cal

Originally posted by DocFrance
    How could he not be a Dragon Knight? Let's look at the facts:

- last name: Highwind - just like Richard Highwind, Cain Highwind, and King Alexander Highwind Tycoon - all Dragon Knights
    - wields various pole-arms, the weapon of choice of Dragon Knights (one of said pole-arms is called the Dragoon Lance)
    - Three of his limit breaks (Boost Jump, Hyper Jump, and Dragon Dive) all involve incredible acrobatic feats, just like Dragon Knights
    - Two of his limit breaks (Dragon and Dragon Dive) have to do with dragons
    - His Dragon limit break abosrbs HP and MP from a target, just like the Dragon Knights' ability !Lance in FFV
    Hmm...I think you got it right there, he was obviously based off a dragoon, so really just because his personality isn't like the traditional dragoon(nor armour..ect..) doesn't mean he isn't one

And the ability '!Lance' is modernly refered to as Lancet(which you probably already know, but for my own self-satisfaction I shall add)

All characters classes in FFVII are a little questionable, since you can customize them however you like. But the overlying facts are that Cid is indirectly a Dragoon. Thats his class base. The same as Vincent is, in a way, a beserker, and Yuffie is a ninja. They are part of these classes, but not as obviously as, say, FFIV(with people like Kain and Edge)

"What I have shown you, that is the truth. What you thought you knew? That is the illusion." - Sephiroth

Originally posted by katana
    All characters classes in FFVII are a little questionable, since you can customize them however you like. But the overlying facts are that Cid is indirectly a Dragoon. Thats his class base. The same as Vincent is, in a way, a beserker, and Yuffie is a ninja. They are part of these classes, but not as obviously as, say, FFIV(with people like Kain and Edge)
    No you'd base a character's class of their weapons, and limits

Vincent- Berserker
    Yuffie- Ninja
    Aries- White mage
    Cloud- Knight
    Tifa- Monk/Kareteka
    Cid- Dragoon
    Cait Sith- Whatever Setzer's job was/ a sort of lady luck from FFX2

Im just not too sure of Baret

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

I thought berserkers used axes.......

I personally feel that Cid is a watered down dragon knight (dragoon isn't technically correct since it means heavily armored knight). He can't really do the jump move properly, since it doesn't take him out of battle for one turn, and he can only use it occasionally.

As far as Cait Sith's job, yes, it is Setzer's job, which it actually said next to his name in the Japanese version (no idea why they took that out of the American); Gambler. The only thing that really makes him break from a true gambler is that he uses a megaphone for a weapon. Setzer used cards (Ricky Jay, you STILL da man!) and darts.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Dragoon would be the cloest category for Cid, I suppose. However, he clearly isnt a dragoon in the typical sense, because he hasnt been trained as such. Not every man who uses a sword is a knight, he hasnt been knighted.

But, by job class standards, dragoon fits.