Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anime...Sub or Dub?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I prefer whichever is better for the particular anime. Like the dub of Spirited Away was great, so I prefer it. The dub of Sailormoon was so bad it hurts me, so I prefer the sub.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Some dubs are actually pretty good, and that I can understand it easier too, but I prefer subbed anime. *nods*

Only when I'm actually bothered to read.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Originally posted by jebusabsolute
    I also prefer sub. Although one or two come by where the dub is just as good or better than the original. Cowboy Bebop for instance.
    I agree totally
    One should know real emptiness as the state where there is no obscurity and the clouds of confusion have cleared away-Miyamoto Musashi

generally i prefer dubbed, though for a real laugh put it on dubbed with subs and play spot the difference

I just find that its easier to understand the emotions and personality behind the spoken word, it makes the dialogue easier to follow and sometimes thats a very good thing

Life s00ks
    No Picture, Between DA wont let me download [i]my own art[i] to use! >_<
    quote of the day moment:
    'Really now my loves, Death isnt so bad, I should know shouldn't I?' ~ Anarchy, Undead Black Tipped Grey WereWolf

My So-Called 'Art'

The current mood of makoto_tribal@hotmail.com at www.imood.com

Blademaster of Northland DeBlayde's Avatar

well, I prefer subbed. because I hate the whole words comin out and the mouth ain't movin thing.

and true, the japanese entertainment industry has many stereotypes and characterizations, but so does American entertainment. Japanese stuff is more obvious because it's different to what we're used to here since it's a different culture.

Makoto, Honesty.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

Here's an odd instance where dubbing is terrible:

I bought the Bruce Lee cantonese audio series on dvd. Since like most of Bruce Lee's flicks involve him speaking chinese, it makes sense to. However 'Enter the Dragon' was an American film (right? Or some sort of english country film), so when they dubbed it in cantonese, it made absolutely no sense! I'm sitting there watching Roper speaking in cantonese and I can't stand a word of it. The only time it made a little sense was in the first two minutes where only Chinese people spoke -_-

Dubs are never, ever good unless you just happen to speak the language, and even then it's really a preference thing...a preference I lack. /dry wit

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

My rules:

Dub mainly because I am lazy. Sub if the english voices are HORRIBLE! ("Let's have a BBQ! Huah Huah Huah!" )

And for the record, yeah, Eva's english voices kick a$s.

Sub, because sometimes the crappy english translation never lipsynchs properly or at times gives it a lamer sound to it, also Japanese character voices sound a million times cooler then the english translations.

Sub is better, I can't stand some of the English dubs. Like Excel from Excel Saga, I spent three weeks recovering from her high pitched screaming. Or Kitsune from Love Hina, why is she from Texas!?

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Originally posted by one_winged_angel
    Sub is better, I can't stand some of the English dubs. Like Excel from Excel Saga, I spent three weeks recovering from her high pitched screaming. Or Kitsune from Love Hina, why is she from Texas!?
    They use American Southern accents for the equivilant to the dialect... I believe it's from Osaka. They have a certain accent, it's hard to pick up unless you're exposed to it a lot.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

I really want to see a clip of excel saga dubbed -- preferably during the scenes where she's "supposed" to say five to six words per second

Blog Entries

I liek dubded better. Theres a lot less work. All that reading...God I'd kill someone.

I prefer subbed, usually. I think that some shows are very well-dubbed, like Cowboy Bebop. But more often than not, the English voices get on my nerves. :\ Especially in Slayers...

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Alright people....I am starting to come to the conclusion that I just don't watch crappy anime(with the exception of Dragonball Z....Dragonball was the !). Could you all make a list of anime that you have hear the dubs for and say if they were good or if they sucked. I have a feeling about something for those who say something sucked compared to those who say the other way but I don't want to say it yet. I want to see if it holds true.

I am going to watch some more .hack//sign. Its a pretty good show.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Bad dubs:
    Magic Knight Rayearth
    Sailormoon
    Yoroiden Samurai Troopers (aka Ronin Warriors)
    Tenchi (in all it's incarnations)
    Gatchaman (aka G-Force, aka Battle of the Planets, aka Eagle Riders)

Good dubs:
    Cowboy Bebop
    Neon Genesis Evangelion
    Tonari no Totoro (aka My Neighbor Totoro)
    Spirited Away
    Ranma 1/2

I really don't watch that many dubs.