Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anime...Sub or Dub?

Ok remember the Anime cutscenes in Xenogears? Remember how crappy the dubbing was when the characters spoke? Henceforth subbing all the way.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

For the ones I've seen and can remember, in no particular order (bits of in some cases, I'm not watching all of digimon ):

Good dubs:
    Princess Mononoke
    Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou (His and Her Circumstances)
    Pokemon Yes, despite the lameness of it especially as it drags on, this was dubbed pretty well The guy that does Brock's English voice is one of the best dub voice actors I've heard.

Bad dubs:
    Love Hina
    Card Captor Sakura
    Digimon
    Angelic Layer
    Sailor Moon
    Slayers (Lina's dub VA really makes the show boring)
    Strange Dawn

This is just comparing on the voice acting, and not any other scene cutting/censoring/episode reordering/storyline changing/character changing/soundtrack screwing up they did in the process

Voice acting in games originally from Japan dubbed into English also generally suck, more so for PSX games than PS2, but there's still bad spots in PS2 games too.
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

Star gone! Shadow Staffer Recognized Member eternalshiva's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I like subs... cause I don't really watch liscenced anime anyways so its not available in English. BUT the ones that are dubbed, I still watch them subbed. Inuyasha is just 100% better subbed.
    Too big.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Every single one of those animes that have 'bad dubs' suck to begin with. I don't think it is so much a matter of a good dub and a bad dub but a matter of the show being any good to begin with.

By the way.... .hack//sign is awesome. It probably isn't for everyone though. Its a slow paced show with little action.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Maybe they suck to you, but like .hack//sign, not every anime is for everyone
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

Ehh? What does a bad show have to do with an actor's ability to act? Pokémon certainly wasn't an anime worth winning awards, but I do agree that they did a good job with the dub. Escaflowne was an awesome show, but I can't sit through an english dub without cringing and wanting to rip my ears out.

You may not appreciate Cardcaptor Sakura, or Sailor Moon, but they were both shows intended for children, and from that point of view both of those shows were spectacular... both of which were completely hacked apart in the english dub and emerged on american television has completely different shows. But we all know that, so there's no need to get into it.

Anyway... yeah. I really don't see how a show's quality has anything to do with an actor's ability to act.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Those anime do not suck. Bet 20 bucks you havent even heard of Gatchaman.

Dubs are lame.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

I would like to comment on the kids show aspect of things...I don't think many kids shows have very good voice acting to begin with.

Also a show's quality usually reflects upon everything. A show that looks high quality will probably have all aspects in high quality and a show like dragonball, sailor moon or gatchaman will have low quality everything.

Also I have heard of gatchaman. I how ever have never heard of strange dawn.

Guu there is a difference between liking a show and a show just being good. I do it with games as well. I love state of emergency but there is no way that I would say it is a good game. It has way too many flaws to every be good.

Originally posted by edczxcvbnm
    I would like to comment on the kids show aspect of things...I don't think many kids shows have very good voice acting to begin with.
    Heh. Sometimes, though not all the time. Cardcaptor Sakura had some really amazing voice actors, almost every single one of them being celebrities in japan (as far as anime voice actors go). Sailor Moon also had a great cast... one of which, Kotono Mitsuishi (Usagi/Sailor Moon) also did the voice of Excel in Excel Saga, and Misato in Evangelion, both of which I'm sure you're familiar with. The only thing low quality about SM was the animation, which is easily forgiven considering how ancient it is. So, again. In the end, something being a kid's show doesn't reflect on jap dub quality at all.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

Bad dubs: hentai

Good dubs: um....Pokemon, Macross Plus...Ninja Scroll maybe, Fist of the North Star (a little bit of 'creative' 'confusing' 'odd' lines, but it's pretty good)....

I don't know. There aren't many good dubs. Akira maybe. Pretty much all the movies I've seen that I could never secure a subbed copy of is 'good dubbing', because I have nothing to compare it to.

Macross Plus is just good because the story is amazing and the animation is superb. You stop caring about that people speak in dubs.

Oh, and any cantonese film that is dubbed into english automatically sucks, and vince versa.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Have you watched Gatchaman though? It's a good show, and so is Sailormoon really. Both are kids shows (though Gatchaman was extremely violent even for a kids shows) and both had extremely talented voice acting in Japan. Most 'kids' shows are worked on just as much as adult shows.