Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Magic the Gathering

I used to play loads, but at senior school no one was interested, and here at college only scary people play it. Which is a shame. I'll probably end up selling off most of my cards, except for my green deck. It's centred around using mana producers and Patterns of Rebirth on sacrificable creatures to get out Thorn Elementals and Child or Gaeas. Blanchwood Armors and Rancors buff them up further. It can usually deal out about 20 damage by turn five or six.

EDIT:// Fixed card misnomer and added a few of my favourite cards.

http://www.brainburst.com/db/search_...rd.asp?id=6217
    http://www.brainburst.com/db/search_...rd.asp?id=6259
    http://www.brainburst.com/db/search_...rd.asp?id=6234
    http://www.brainburst.com/db/search_...rd.asp?id=6186
    http://www.brainburst.com/db/search_...rd.asp?id=6797
    Last edited by Skogs; 02-08-2004 at 12:30 AM.

MTG is definitly the most strategic game out today, which makes it boring at times. I like it better than Yu-Gi-Oh which is basically the inverse of MTG because it's all luck... MTG is basically a VERY unique variation of Chess, I guess it's like DND + CHESS + Old Star Wars TCG. I don't like many aspects of the game, such as the fact that it's one gigantic wait-fest because you have to take EVERY THING in to account if you want to win, which'll winde up driving you insane if you miss something. I didn't play much casual play decks, I started off against Tier 2 winning decks when I first got in to it (which taught me a lot, about getting royally pounded), it was a very aggresive atmosphere. I remember my first clerics deck versus a blue deck, which was an automatic lose, then I remember going up against goblins which was an automatic win (clerics are lifegain, goblins take advantage of speed and being able to kill fast. Blue is decking and so my life gain was useless). My friend who got me and a friend in to the game had a couple of old decks than owned us and told us about a real MTG player, some one who won a lot of tournies, he had a Astral Slide deck that owned us 100% of the time. When I ran an Astral Slide deck (it was white w/ splashed red) the game got incredibly boring. It was always I destroy their armada, get my own, cycle my own out, destroy their army again, I then pound them. If I ever got in to MTG again, I'd probably use a casual Blue decking deck, so I wouldn't lose so bad to tournament winning decks but still had fun against a casual play deck. Or maybe goblins, goblins are always great...

http://www.brainburst.com/db/search_...d.asp?id=10753

"It takes a dedicated mind to bring about the greatest destruction. That, or Goblins---Goblins work, too."

Yeah I play! my fav. card is bottle of suliman(sp?) and my deck is an all artifact deck.

You were a n00b once

oh and heres a pic

You were a n00b once

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Bottle of Suleiman? heh.

I love the game but I haven't played since about 1996. All I have are a bunch of old good cards that they won't let you play with anymore, but they are still fun. The best decks are white/blue decks. I make people hate to play me though. My favorite deck was my Collosus or Sardia/Mana Vault deck. Heh.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Behold the Void's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Reiji Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Avid player. Let's see, I only have type one decks, but here they are...

Red/Green Beast Deck, some burn such as lightning bolts and incinerates since beasts tend to be a bit expensive to play.

White/Blue Anti-Color Deck. This one is the deck from hell, I have a bunch of creatures with protection from colors, and I play things like Seight of Minds and Mind Bends in order to change their protection to what I need. Then I play the card Pariah which makes all damage go to them. If I'm playing a green and blue deck, for example, I change my Paladin En Vec to protection from green and blue, then I Pariah him. Then you sit there and watch me slap you with my white weenies.

For those who like Magic, may I suggest Legend of the Five Rings. It is by Wizards, as is Magic, and is a step up in strategy in complexity, with special rules for mutliplayer, two decks, etc.. The backdrop is a Japanese fantasy setting, with numerous clans and creatures to use. Quite a fun game.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> I never understood that game..
    By the way Yugioh is all about strategy too, the only games based on luck are those that appear in the anime show, fakeness..
    Last edited by black orb; 03-01-2004 at 05:49 AM.
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

All card games are just, BLAH.

Exept of course poker. so....

All themed card games are just, BLAH.
    Word/s.

Being Who Transcended All Black Mage's Avatar

I used to play a lot more often, but I still play occasionally.

But, that's not to say I'm good.

I sport a Blue/Green deck, with plenty of counters and worms. Feh.

im playing tourney level astral-glide. post mirrodin legal T2. then again... im working on a modular deck for darksteel... dont know if i can get to the tourneys tho >_< dang school

I don't have any cards except for one that a friend gave me, but my Cousin and I play it every summer with his cards.

man Magic is the greatest card game around.
    trust me ive just about played them all.

I haven't played in years, but when I did, I had a red only, direct damage deck. It had lots of mana inflating cards, and a bunch of cards that dealt X damage according to how much mana you tapped. It was good at the time. My only other deck was a white weenie deck with lots of 1 mana creatures. My hand was almost always empty with that deck. Still, as good as it was, I couldn't be bothered to keep up with the expansions, and gave my cards away.
    Knock yourselves down.

I played yu-gi-oh against my nine year old sister.
    needless to say, she owned my a**, then proceeded to talk smack.

after that bad card game experience, I just decided to stick with video games.

Magic really was an excellent game, and it probably still is a lot of fun. The main problem with it is the flaw that comes with all collectible card games: He who spends the most money and buys the most cards builds the better decks.

Case in point:

As a deckbuilder and cardplayer, I was actually fairly good. Then I taught all my friends to play in 6th grade, and they in turn taught all their friends. In the end, however, I began losing constantly because I didn't have the amount or variety of cards that my friends were able to afford. I eventually just stopped buying cards altogether in 1998.

What I did find that had some of this same appeal but undid this particular flaw was the Settlers of Catan Card Game Expansions. With these expansions, everyone owned the same set of cards, so it was a real challenge to customize a deck for a very precise strategy out of the same card-pool.

Which Final Fantasy One Enemy am I?

You Are TIAMAT; You are the most terrible dragon to fly the skies of the planet. With your many heads, you are all-seeing and all-doing. Though fiendishly powerful inside your fortress of stolen machines, sometimes your terrible abilities are the Bane of your existence...
    Which Final Fantasy One Enemy are You?