Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: War in Iraq

Default War in Iraq

Seeing as I'll be over there for a year, I was just wondering what everybody here thought about the conflict in Iraq. Should we be there, why or why not, what else/instead should we do, etc. etc.

I say we should. Firstly we we're the only ones who even were giving a damn that Saddam was killing his own people for no reason, not to mention all the laws the U.N. created specifically for him, he broke all but I beleive 2. And yet the U.N. did nothing to stop this and no one else did anything when everyone knew what he was doing. So I think we had a good reason to go take out Saddam from power.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Scatter, Senbonzakura... DocFrance's Avatar

One less ruthless dictator in the world is a good thing, if you ask me. Going to Iraq was the right thing to do - now we need to rebuild it, much like Japan and Germany.

Thanks for all your doing over there, Sasquatch.
    ARGUMENT FROM GUITAR MASTERY
    (1) Eric Clapton is God.
    (2) Therefore, God exists.

i think it was wrong to cover up the reasons with that whole 'they have world threatening weapons' bull and i'm still POed at the way blair kissed up to bush, yet again
    But that aside, though the reasons for the attack where wrong the results where good, as has been said one less ruthless dictator in the world is definatly a good thing
    what needs to happen now is iraq needs to be allowed to rebuild itself, its ok for other countries to help, but, like a lot of people i hold that whatever new government is formed should be the choice of the people who life there, after all they've been through they deserve at least that

Life s00ks
    No Picture, Between DA wont let me download [i]my own art[i] to use! >_<
    quote of the day moment:
    'Really now my loves, Death isnt so bad, I should know shouldn't I?' ~ Anarchy, Undead Black Tipped Grey WereWolf

My So-Called 'Art'

The current mood of makoto_tribal@hotmail.com at www.imood.com

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

I don't think we should have gone over there. There was no proof he had the weapons. The inspectors were not given enough time search even though they claimed they had more than enough time(the bush administration has had two times more time or more and have not found anything and are saying they are still out there somewhere and just need more time).

He broke all those sanctions that were placed against him...like all of the 14 when our friend Israel has broken like 66ish(correct me for I am terrible wrong on this can could really care less to do more research on such a thing). Lets go after them. They might be our friends now but so was saddam and we looked the other way for him at such a time.

No good reason to go to war at all. There are much worse dictators out there that we could have gone after so don't give me that lame reason.

I'm not saying the attack was right or justified, I am simply pointing out that the end result is favourable

and we all know it was about oil, apparently.. (is a brit, dosent get it)

Life s00ks
    No Picture, Between DA wont let me download [i]my own art[i] to use! >_<
    quote of the day moment:
    'Really now my loves, Death isnt so bad, I should know shouldn't I?' ~ Anarchy, Undead Black Tipped Grey WereWolf

My So-Called 'Art'

The current mood of makoto_tribal@hotmail.com at www.imood.com

Contributions
    • Hosted EoFF Elections event
    • Contributions to Eizon project

I must say I wasn't pleased with the US putting their noses in other's affairs seemingly because of that whacky Texan and his family-feuds, but the relatively painless war itself was a fun watch. Now if you only would solve all the OTHER dictators in the world...

There are places where people are far worse off than they were under Saddam. I'm not saying that Saddam being removed isn't a good thing, but the best I could say was that it was the right war fought for the wrong reasons.

Originally posted by edczxcvbnm
    I don't think we should have gone over there. There was no proof he had the weapons. The inspectors were not given enough time search even though they claimed they had more than enough time(the bush administration has had two times more time or more and have not found anything and are saying they are still out there somewhere and just need more time).
    So what about the attacks on his own people? He tested biological weapons on his own people. Better them than us? Hell no, a life is a life. 15 years ago, he leveled a city in Iraq by bombing them. Why? To test out his weapons.

He broke all those sanctions that were placed against him...like all of the 14 when our friend Israel has broken like 66ish(correct me for I am terrible wrong on this can could really care less to do more research on such a thing). Lets go after them. They might be our friends now but so was saddam and we looked the other way for him at such a time.
    Saddam has been an issue for almost 30 years. Israel has been an issue since BC times. Saddam was in power because of the UN. Israel is a completely different situation.

No good reason to go to war at all. There are much worse dictators out there that we could have gone after so don't give me that lame reason.
    Lame reason? Excuse me? Our soldiers, our men and women are FIGHTING for YOUR freedom. There are worse dictators out there, sure... but one more gone from the list of bad dictators is better then letting him sit over in Iraq killing thousands of innocents.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." ~Edmund Burke.

EDIT: The government says we were there for these reasons. Not all of our soldiers believe that. As long as you don't blame the soldiers for doing what they were taught and told to do, and you hate those who give the orders, I really don't care what you have to say about the war.

People there are free, now. They can do what they want to do. The result is right and good, so I don't see how going to war with them (even if for "wrong" reasons) is a bad thing.
    Last edited by Ultima Seraph; 02-05-2004 at 08:20 PM.

Contributions

I've always thought that "The only thing necessary for the triumph of good is for evil men to do nothing" has a better ring to it.

Scatter, Senbonzakura... DocFrance's Avatar

Originally posted by Ultima Seraph
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." ~Edmund Burke.
    I was going to put that quote in my post, but I couldn't remember the exact wording, or even who said it. Thanks for finding it for me, though. Great minds think alike.

Also, I don't think we should leave Iraq to rebuild itself. Chances are, another dictator would step in to fill the vacuum. Possibly someone from the Taliban or some other terrorist faction in the middle east. With the US and other nations at least assisting the recovery, the chances of this happening are significantly diminished.
    ARGUMENT FROM GUITAR MASTERY
    (1) Eric Clapton is God.
    (2) Therefore, God exists.

Contributions

And the problem with it is that it divides the world into two, the Gusd and the Theyvil.

2nd Protector of the Sun War Angel's Avatar

I think it's a good thing the USA finally stood up for itself and defended what's right. Iraq was a threat, and had to be dealt with. I hope the USA remains true to the cause, and go after Saudi Arabia, Iran, Northern Korea (that place is.. scaring me) and many other nations which support terrorism.

srael has broken like 66ish(correct me for I am terrible wrong on this can could really care less to do more research on such a thing). Lets go after them. They might be our friends now but so was saddam and we looked the other way for him at such a time.
    Israel has 'broken' hundreds of UN 'regulations'. I put the '' because it wasn't really breaking, and they weren't really regulations. Some of these were straight-out hilarious, to the point you'd think some old Nazi thought of them. In reality, when Arab nations gather a majority (usually all of the UN, except Britain, the USA and Micronesia), they can pass all sorts of 'regulations'. These UN sanctions mean abseloutly nothing.

Oh, and the re-newed State of Israel was founded as a democracy, and it will stay that way. This is hardly the case with Iraq, that has never been democratic, and probably won't be for a good deal of time ahead.

Israel has been an issue since BC times.
    Yeah baby, we've been rocking since ancient times!
    When fighting monsters, be wary not to become one yourself... when gazing into the abyss, bear in mind that the abyss also gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

The rightful owner of this Ciddie can kiss my arse! :P

Unpostmodernizeable Shadow Nexus's Avatar

I will kill the next person that does another topic about this damn war.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

So what about the attacks on his own people? He tested biological weapons on his own people. Better them than us? Hell no, a life is a life. 15 years ago, he leveled a city in Iraq by bombing them. Why? To test out his weapons.
    Wow...15 years ago...you don't say? Well it seems to me that he really has not been doing anything like that in recent memory in which is why people can only bring up stuff that is completely irrelevant today. Everyone knew what he was doing then and they continued to ignore him. Then was the time to do something when he was actually...you know...doing something.

Saddam has been an issue for almost 30 years. Israel has been an issue since BC times. Saddam was in power because of the UN. Israel is a completely different situation.
    Way to dodge the bullet. Not really. I don't know. This is one I need to think about a bit more.

Lame reason? Excuse me? Our soldiers, our men and women are FIGHTING for YOUR freedom. There are worse dictators out there, sure... but one more gone from the list of bad dictators is better then letting him sit over in Iraq killing thousands of innocents.
    They will be fighting for my freedom as soon as you point out how saddam was a threat to my freedom. Since he isn't and wasn't at the time they are not fighting for my freedom.

We were doing stuff. That is why we kept on him and kept doing weapon inspections and things of the sort. He would have never come into anything big if we kept it up. Doing nothing would literally be doing nothing. Like what Europe did with hitler. No inspections and he blatantly showed he was making weapons and showed them off for all to see and they did nothing to stop it. That is doing nothing.

EDIT: The government says we were there for these reasons. Not all of our soldiers believe that. As long as you don't blame the soldiers for doing what they were taught and told to do, and you hate those who give the orders, I really don't care what you have to say about the war.

People there are free, now. They can do what they want to do. The result is right and good, so I don't see how going to war with them (even if for "wrong" reasons) is a bad thing.
    I don't blame the soilders at all. They are grunts who have no choice in the matter.

I am not going to argue that the area is worse than before but I don't think it is any better with all the suicide bombings and the people who are trying to take power there. Religious fanatics in the middle east garner too much influence and power.

Israel has 'broken' hundreds of UN 'regulations'. I put the '' because it wasn't really breaking, and they weren't really regulations. Some of these were straight-out hilarious, to the point you'd think some old Nazi thought of them. In reality, when Arab nations gather a majority (usually all of the UN, except Britain, the USA and Micronesia), they can pass all sorts of 'regulations'. These UN sanctions mean abseloutly nothing.
    Thank you for pointing that out to me. I know most all if not all of them are usually crazy for the most part. It is just something I hear tossed around from time to time. If I could be bothered I would have done some sort of research but...I just don't care that much.