Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Candidates Speak!

repo man's absence at this election is truly an atrocity ;_;
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

The reason people thought the other thingy was a cooler bad guy is because repo man isn't bad. He's just drawn that way.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Hmm, am I the only one who's not emphatically in love with repo man?

I'm a floating voter at the moment. The Conservatives are tempting.

Uh-oh. Bahamut's poem was really well done. Like... it was intimidatingly well done. I'm kind of frightened. Who would have thought a pirate would be so... lyrical?
    "Hmph... legendary guardian? I was just a boy...
    I wanted to change the world, too. But I changed nothing.
    That is my story."
    ~Auron (FFX)

"A sealed up, secret wish... Tender memories... No one can ever know."
    ~Cloud (FFVII)

"This day will never come again... So let me have this moment."
    ~Tifa (FFVII)

Originally posted by Burtsplurt
    Hmm, am I the only one who's not emphatically in love with repo man?
    Apparently not, since only one of the poems was in praise of repo man.

;_;
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

wow the pirates didnt say "D'arr" the whole poem. Go Axamenta!!!
    I'm back bitches!!!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It should be obvious that repo man is far superior. Score another one for the

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Hey, atleast someone liked mine...more than I thought, considering EB's original comments about it. I tried to be funny, but serious at the same time and it turned into something I was really proud of. And, if you look at most of my posts, Enoki, I'm probably amongst the few members of my party that didn't say d'arr in every sentence (but I did in some) and I didn't plunder/pillage. I am a little mad that I never got a wench, though. D'arr.

Articles

Mystery has to be all veterans, and thus why they will probably win.

I didn't cheat on my answer, as its plainly clear I didn't xD, as for others I don't know except FA666 maybe, and Ash because I know they didn't cheat, at least I think. But I do want to go to any assumptions.

Its because they don't know of the greatness of repo man, mostly somewhat newer people in that category anyway.

It's because

No votes for you! Recognized Member Election Booth's Avatar

Ok, more answers! This time for the Final Fantasy 10, 10-2, and 11 forums

Do innovations like sequels and online games improve or hurt the final fantasy game series?

Auron_Kotetsu (BAotW):
    Well, this is certainly an interesting question that will have its defenders on both sides. I for one have a very strong opinion about both of the facets included in this question, and this will not be the first time I've stated them.

The Final Fantasy (which I will henceforth abbreviate as FF) game series is a long tradition with which many of us have been familiar for a long time. I myself am comparably new to the titles, having only been playing them for about four years. So far, having beaten three of them, and with another three in the works, I can say fairly certainly that the strongest aspects of the FF series are its deep characters, which are often multi-dimensional and well developed, its complex plotlines, which hold interest well and are often very emotionally engaging, and possibly most of all, its exciting, convoluted twist endings. Sometimes, however, you get to the end of the game, and so little is actually given to you that you want more. My favorite example of this, even before they made its sequel, has always been Final Fantasy X. At the end of X, (SPOILER) we are told that the main character, Tidus, will be effectively "unmade" if they are victorious in the coming conflict. However, many hints are given (such as by the Fayths in the temples when you revisit them after obtaining their Aeon; most notably Shiva) that this is not exactly true. At the end of the credits, we are shown Tidus, waking up and "swimming away", even though he should no longer exist. For those of us playing the International version, there is also the additional segment in which we see Tidus imprisoned, clearly alive and clearly in trouble. This effectively sets the stage for a sequel, and it would have been almost rude of them not to have made one. I know I was personally jubilant at the chance both to delve back into the rich world of Spira, as well as to find out just what the blazes happened to Tidus, and whether Yuna was sentenced to a life without him.

Having played X-2 (though not beaten it - I am still on Chapter 5), I'm ambivalent at this point about whether or not this sequel was a good one; however, a sequel in this case was absolutely necessary. I would be happy to see sequels for other FF games as well - I know I would relish the chance to dive back into the world of FFVII and see what happened there. The main problem with making a sequel to a game is staying true to the original; being too innovative when making a sequel will not only be bad for the sequel itself, but it will also devalue the original title by association. I personally feel that X-2 is a good game, but not necessarily a worthy sequel to X, which is one of my two favorite FF titles. If you're ever around the X-2 forum, I'm sure you've seen my little rants and revelations on why this is so; if not, here's a couple.

So my take on sequels, in brief, is this: A sequel MUST stay loyal to the story set forth in the preceding game. It must also keep true to the old characters and their development. Basically, it should not feel like a brand new game, with no similarities but the areas and the monsters, but neither should it feel like a rehashing of the old one. The trick in a sequel is finding that balance, and I'm afraid they missed the mark a bit in FFX-2

Online FF titles are a whole separate matter entirely. I explain in-depth why I dislike the very idea in this post (though it was rather off-topic at the time). If you don't want to go read all that there, I'll recap it for you.

Making XI an online game was not an "innovation" at all, but rather a clear attempt to jump on a bandwagon that has already proven to be a good moneymaking market. The MMORPG (Mass Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game) has already proven that if you provide a paid-subscription-based game that can hold interest for a prolonged period of time, it will make you much more money than a title that gamers must only pay once for. Everquest and Ultima Online are two of my favorite examples in this field; these and many other games of that type have already been on the market for years, and have made money for their creators. An "innovation" would have been if Square was the first one to break the MMORPG ground; this, however, was nothing more than a moneymaking ploy.

"But hey, A_K, as far as MMORPG's go, FFXI is a good one!"

That is not the issue. The fact is that the MMORPG genre is not suited to house a FF title. Think about the things that make a FF game what it is:
    *Strong character development.
    *A party that you control, at least in part, for the entire game.
    *A complex storyline that is revealed slowly, through character action.
    *An absolutely huge ending.

Now if you look at these four aspects in terms of a MMORPG, you will realize that the genre in itself makes at least three of them impossible. The reasons are as follows:
    *Characters can not be developed strongly, because your party is comprised of individual players, who you do not spend the entire game playing with. Instead, your party is constantly rotating, making any real development absolutely impossible.
    *As stated, you do not control an entire party; rather, a party is comprised of individual PC's that come and go. This means that the only aspect of your party's development that you control is that of your own character - which destroys the tight-woven feel of the FF game.
    *The plot cannot depend on character action to be revealed. Because every character is a "main character" to someone, party members cannot be counted on to act in a certain way with regard to a storyline. therefore, the plot must be simple and straightforward, perhaps with some twists written in, but nothing on the scale of other games, where, suppose, one party member will turn against you, or your party will be separated and later reunited. Also, there can be no love story. There is always an underlying love story in a FF game. But you can't force two PC's to fall in love - and every PC can't fall in love with the same NPC. Therefore, the game is a lot less emotionally engaging and a lot more routine.
    *To make the game "end" is counter-intuitive to the format of the MMORPG; if the game ends, people will stop playing it, and the point of a MMORPG is to keep people playing and keep them paying. Therefore, the ending, if there is one, cannot end gameplay, otherwise you will lose subscription.

It's not a question of whether or not FFXI is a "good game". The fact is that with all these qualities that run directly in contradiction to the workings of the ten preceding titles, this should not have been made the next FF title. The reason Square made it FFXI is so that people who feel a loyalty to the FF line will buy it and play it - not because it is necessarily a good game, but because the opening screen says "Final Fantasy XI". If they had released it as an independent title, they would have had to rely on the strength of the game itself; instead, they gave it the title that has held so many gamers with its excellent games, knowing that people would buy it and play it just because the box says "FFXI". And some people have. I, for one, did not. I will wait until they realize that it isn't right to completely alter the format of a game series to something that will rob it of its greatest strengths. I love these games, and I refuse to see their title pillaged of its meaning simply as a means of getting subscription and making more money; I am disgusted by the tactic, and I will not condone it by buying the title. Your dollar is your stamp of approval; this is true not just here, but in all things!

Innovations are only really innovative if they are breaking new ground - not just for the game series, but in all games. I think there are many aspects of X-2 that earn it the title of an "innovation": the Dressphere System, the Real-time fighting system and Chain Combat, and the Skill Development method are all new in their own right. If they had simply been more true to the plotline of X, I can easily see this being one of my favorites. I would be happy to see sequels made to other FF games, so long as they are viewed as projects in their own right.

But making FF games in the MMORPG format was a cowardly, greedy, and ultimately wrong decision. Its inability to hold to the things that make FF titles innately great games. Someday, perhaps, it will be possible for a MMORPG to actually fulfill the criteria that make up a FF game - and when that day comes, I'll be the first to buy it. But that day has not yet come, and so I say: Shame on you, Squaresoft, for having called this game the next Final Fantasy, and thereby betraying your title so fundamentally.

I realize that having strong opinions will often make you as many enemies as friends, if not more. Still, I cannot pretend to believe what I do not. I will say this, however, in closing: I respect the opinions of others, and I enjoy a good debate. You do not need to agree with me, and I do not expect that everyone will. I only expect that on these forums, we can perhaps learn something from one another - not just in respect to our gaming, but as human beings.

After all, the characters in these games - they're just people too.

Representative or not, I'll be seeing you on the forums, people. Over and out.

Misfit (Sex-Slaves):
    You see, lady... they hurt. THEY HURT BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE TEH MONKEYS! Monkeys should be added to all online and final fantasy games, then I will make my final opinion. Until that is done, sequels and online games suck. Monkey spanking must go on. That is all.

La Femme Merekia (Conservative):
    While sequels provide for improved graphics and a more enjoyable soundtrack, they might drive the Final Fantasy series into the ground because of repetitive plots, the same kinds of characters with the same cliches and stereotypes. As long as the creators can find new plots and challenges, the series will remain popular and interesting to us. Online games have more appeal because there is more of a bonding experience where one can introduce Final Fantasy to friends and play with them. They can also meet and connect with like minded gamers as well. There is more creativity in playing Final Fantasy online. Personally, I like choosing my own identity as my character rather than having to pick from a limited selection in previous games.

Maxico (Pirate):
    I think that while these things may have a negative impact on the ff games it is mostly up to the people who buy it to judge it and if these things really annoy you so much then you dont have to subject your selfs to them

uhhh... D'aarrr?

Star (Newbie):
    No one can say for sure whether or not these innovations will improve or harm the series. I personally feel that they will both harm and improve the series. Sequels look to be really interesting, while the online games, while neat and different, won't be enjoyed by all the fans, such as myself, because of the money.

Alot of the people who have played FF for years and years will most likely be dead against it all, at least until shown otherwise.

Agent 7 (Mystery):
    Sequels are a different step for the Final Fantasy series and I'm all for it. Final Fantasy X-2 is, of course, the first time that a story has ever been continued on to another game. You already have characters that the player cares about, and often times you want to know what happened to them. As long as the sequel is not a cheap, thrown together attempt to cash in, I don't see any negative. Now, I don't think that every Final Fantasy ever made should have a sequel, it should definitely be used sparingly.

I was initially very opposed to an online Final Fantasy. However, I've slowly grown to have a different opinion. Online games are something that should definitely be explored. For people who do like these types of games, you can't go wrong by selecting a game made by Square-Enix. You know you're going to get a high quality product. I must say that I haven't tried many online RPGs, so my experience is a little limited here.

In conclusion, a vote for me is a vote for progress! It's the smartest vote you'll ever make.
    Last edited by Election Booth; 02-13-2004 at 03:11 AM.

Well good work star i feel the exact same way. and BAotW, im definitly not voting for you guys on this one because honestly i just dont have a week to spare to read your answer

EDIT: Oh! and Misfit, there are monkeys in X-2, in fact there is "monkey lovin' ", and im sure there is some spanking in the process of the "lovin' "
    I'm back bitches!!!

Wow, Auron_Kotetsu's answer was definitely the best in THAT category. Although Misfit's was kinda interesting, but A_K actually answered the question.

And RY89's poem was pure genius. Also, Rocky Wrench could take Repo Man ANY FSCKING DAY.

And even though I've never played FFIX, I could tell FA666 knew what they were talking about, and should definitely win.

*waits for his answer to come up*

Errr...go Maxico?

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

WTF YOU LIKE POSTED ONE ANSWER WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST ASK US ONE QUESTION????

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Originally posted by Moo Moo the Ner Cow
    WTF YOU LIKE POSTED ONE ANSWER WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST ASK US ONE QUESTION????
    Yeah really, I had to answer THREE really really really hard questions that I was late for class because of.....ok, I woulda been late for class anyways BUT STILL

Signature by rubah. I think.