Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why the New York Yankees are so good.

Originally posted by edczxcvbnm
    Q: Why are the New York Yankess so good?

A: $
    Yeah, that would be exact response as well. A salary cap would destry the team thoroughly.

But its funny to see that same way of running a team in the NHL fail horribly. The New York Rangers have a good handful of the leagues most tallented players, and have the highest payroll in the league, yet they are below .500 still.

And we all have a good laugh.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Baseball isn't dependent upon playing as a team like hockey is. You can have the best players in the nhl but unless they can work as one they will still do poorly.

Being Who Transcended All Black Mage's Avatar

The NY Mets are superior to the Yankees in every way.

Except maybe that baseball thing you're all talking about.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

well, ARod is a much better shortstop than Jeter too, but you know...who cares about who is actually good at their position?

Who even cares about baseball?

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

everyone but you!

eestlinc, do you really think that A-Rod is better defensively than Jeter? Befpre he got hurt, I'd list Jeter as the best defensive shortstop in the game. He's a human highlight reel.

I like what Steinbrenner said about his detractors; that they don't know how to do the math. The Yankees didn't buy anything in this trade. They traded a superstar they raised themselves for someone else's superstar. I may even have to say that Texas got the better end of the deal.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Originally posted by LH
    eestlinc, do you really think that A-Rod is better defensively than Jeter? Befpre he got hurt, I'd list Jeter as the best defensive shortstop in the game. He's a human highlight reel.
    Rodriquez has always been better defensivly then Jeter. Who has more gold gloves? Yeah.

Personally, I think this deal sucks. Baseball really really needs a salary cap. Players only go to places for the money. Why else would Pudge sign with the Tigers?

But it will be okay when the Yankees with there 185million dollar payroll don't make it to the World Series, and some other team like the Royals do.
    Mr Thou! Mr Thou!

Articles

Personally, I don't think Gold Gloves are a very good indicator of a player's defensive worth. Plenty of people have won 'em that didn't exactly deserve him.

I'd put A-Rod and Jeter on about the same level defensively, on the same level as Nomar Garciaparra and Miguel Tejada, who are all a rung below the likes of Orlando Cabrera, Jose Reyes and Rafael Furcal (among others). Third base is a lot more difficult to play, though, and the transition will probably come at some cost defensively.

Not all shortstops can make the move easily, like Cal Ripken did back in the late 90s. I don't think Rodriguez will be any different, in that respect, he'll have some growing pains.

And about the salary cap, read this.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I say third is the hardest position to play in baseball. Chavez makes it look so easy... good luck A-Rod.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Being in Washington, I dont like A Rod because he left the Mariners for Texas Rangers for alot of money, now hes at New York are rivals. I think he is over rated, but yea whatever not a big base ball fan here.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Originally posted by Del Murder
    I say third is the hardest position to play in baseball. Chavez makes it look so easy... good luck A-Rod.
    If Ripken can make a nice transition from Shortstop to Third, I'm postive A-Rod can do the same,

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Originally posted by El Mariachi
    Personally, I don't think Gold Gloves are a very good indicator of a player's defensive worth. Plenty of people have won 'em that didn't exactly deserve him.
    Exactly son, exactly. For instance, some things like fielding percentage and stuff like that is completely meaningless to me. There are some errors put on fielders that don't really deserve it and some put on players who were quick enough to go after the ball where a fielder with a better % wouldn't be nimble enough to make it there in time. All I really know is that I've seen Jeter make some plays that will never be duplicated. He reminds me of the Wizard sometimes how he's always there and can throw a beam straight to first from the crappiest arm slot.

No votes for you! Recognized Member Election Booth's Avatar

Well, gold gloves aside, there are plenty of stats like field perc, range pect (how many balls hit in his range that he actually fields at all), etc that all show ARod is a much better shortstop defensively than Jeter. Jeter is really mediocre defensively, a few spectacular plays or not. This is the generally accepted view by baseball experts.

I agree with EB. Whilst watching Rangers games all last season, Rodriguez is probably the best defensive shortstop in the league, if not it's Nomar. I've seen Jeter play enough, and while he is good, he's not in the same league as A-Rod. Well, he is in the same LEAGUE, but you know what I mean.