Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why the New York Yankees are so good.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Why the New York Yankees are so good.

Today, they just got the best player in a trade that was just approved.

They traded Alfonso Soriano and a minor leaguer to Texas for Alex Rodriguez...

That, my friends, is probably the biggest trade in recent history of the baseball world. This is why the Yankees are so good. They are willing to give up good players for even better players, and this is just proof. This is just so sickening, that I fear that the Yankees will still be in the World Series for coming years. *sighs*

What do you guys think about this trade?

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Some people would disagree with you and say that the Yankees ruin baseball by throwing all their New York money at the good players while teams like Florida win the championship with a small salary. A lot of people hate the Yankees, I don't hate them, I think they've been dominant too long and someone else should get a turn. I also think baseball should use the salary cap but it will never happen.

This trade is good for everyone, except maybe Yankee haters. It's good for Texas that they now have more money to spend on pitching, and good for the Yanks that they get the best player in the game right now. A-Rod should have never signed with Texas in the first place. People are too greedy.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Contributions
    • Created Eyes on Final Fantasy
    • Former Administrator

Default Re: Why the New York Yankees are so good.

Originally posted by Agent Proto
    They are willing to give up good players for even better players, and this is just proof.
    That's just silly. Every team is willing to trade good players for better players, but the yanks have the oppertunity because of their deep, DEEP pockets. Or you can just call me a Yankee hater. I'm afraid they do ruin the game.

Manchester United do the same in the English Premiership. Wait a minute. They've signed a marketing deal with the Yankees. So this means they'll both get even richer and even more dominant. Both those teams could do the whole sporting world a favour and go bankrupt.

As a Rangers "fan", if something ever existed (I simply watch most of their games, and hope that they will win, but knowing they won't), I actually like this trade. No telling what they could get with all that extra money. Sure, A-Rod was good, but now they simply got younger. I mean, this lineup is a pretty good, young one:

Alfonso Soriano - SS
    Michael Young - 2B
    Hank Blalock - 3B
    Eric Jordan - CF
    Mark Teixeira - LF
    Laynce Nix - RF
    Catcher #1 (possibly Einar Diaz, but they need a better one)
    Designated Hitter #1 (possibly that guy...I can't remember his name)

Of course, they still need pitching, but they have some solid young prospects in Juan Dominguez and Ricardo Rodriguez. R.A. Dickey can be a very solid 3rd or 4th pitcher. They just need to fill in the gaps.

Articles

I tend to lean toward the point of view that Sean's adopted, and after reading a few articles by writers on ESPN.com, it's even more solidified in my mind.

Sure, they do have deep pockets, but at what price? Many people have pointed out that Georgie Porgie's hastiness to take the title back to New York had made clubhouse chemistry suffer. Put Gary Sheffield, Kenny Lofton, A-Rod, Jeter, Kevin Brown and company in the same clubhouse, and do you think Joe Torre will be able to keep the peace? There's so many gigantic egos that it might become a big problem as the season wears on.

You also have to consider what they've given up to get so many superstars. They got rid of Nick Johnson to get Javier Vasquez, and Johnson was supposed to be the heir apparent to Jason Giambi if the big man's knees failed him. They got rid of Jeff Weaver for Brown, and everyone is quick to forget that Weaver was a pretty damn good pitcher in Detroit before he was thrown into the fire. And just imagine a pitcher of Weaver's potential in a place like Dodger Stadium. . . they gave up Soriano for A-Rod, and Alfonso had a phenomenal 2003 outside of the disastrous postseason. The guy that A-Rod is replacing, Aaron Boone, cost the Yankees their best prospect in Brandon Claussen. They gave up draft picks to sign Sheffield and Lofton.

One writer pointed out that one of the losers in this trade are the small-market teams. I don't think that's necessarily true, because lots of teams in recent years have shown that it doesn't take a lot of money to be a World Series contender. The A's are the leading example, but there's also the Twins, Royals, Blue Jays, Marlins, Cardinals and Giants. Most of these teams, if not all of them, have farm systems in better shape with better prospects for the future than the Yankees.

It may burn Red Sox fans that they missed out on A-Rod because of a small difference in cash, but they should remember that they still have Manny Ramirez and Nomar Garciaparra. Manny is still one of the best sluggers in the game, and Nomar is still one of the top three shortstops in the majors. Just because they missed out on number one doesn't mean it's the end of the world, because they still have number two.

Obviously, trading for A-Rod makes any team better, and the Yankees are no exception. Somehow, though, I don't think it makes them that much better. At the very least, it will probably have huge repercussions down the road.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It just saddens me because now I might have to draft a Yankee. Of course, the question remains, what happens if this all-star team doesn't win the world series?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Then they'll sign Chavez and Tim Hudson next year.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

This year, watch the Rangers have a winning record, and the Yankees a losing one. Just watch.
    I have a signature now. Am I cool yet?

As much of a Yankees fan as I am, I declare that once Joe Torre leaves, the Yanks will fall completely apart because egos will always corrupt, not matter the talent level. The Yanks are so very close to having TOO many egos right now. The teams that won the world series in past seasons were all about the team, yet this year, the players are driven for selfish reasons. Granted, they too want to win, but if they do indeed win the series, I have a feeling that personal gains will take the place of the team because now everyone will have their rings and can focus on stats instead.

Oh where are the O'Neills, the Martinezs, the Scotty B's? We are in dire need of them now, players who wanted glory for all, not just for themselves.

Take care all.

Articles

You also have to consider that the other main cog in this deal, Alfonso Soriano, was a very good player in his own respect. Sure, you might suspect otherwise after the 2003 playoffs, but consider this.

Soriano
    .290, 38 HR, 91 RBI, 114 runs, 198 hits, .338 OBP, 35 SB, 130 strikeouts

Rodriguez
    .298, 47 HR, 118 RBI, 124 runs, 181 hits, .396 OBP, 17 SB, 126 strikeouts

Yeah, of course Alex Rodriguez's numbers were great. However, Soriano put up numbers that no other second baseman in the league could dream of. A potential 40-40 guy I could put at the top of my lineup? Sign me up! A-Rod isn't the same speedster he once was, but I seriously think the Rangers did well for themselves by acquiring top-notch talent for a position that doesn't have much.

With all of the youngsters in that Texas lineup, I think they could be every bit as potent as they were last year.

1B - Mark Teixeira
    2B - Michael Young
    3B - Hank Blalock
    SS - Soriano or Adrian Gonzalez (?)
    OF - Soriano (?)/Ramon Nivar
    OF - Brian Jordan
    OF - Laynce Nix

Granted, the pitching still has a long way to go, but their offense is still in pretty good shape, I think.

Chances are, Adrian Gonzales will end up playing 1st, and Teixeira at LF. I forgot about him when I made my original post, so, I would bet this:

1B- Adrian Gonzales
    2B- Michael Young
    SS- Alfonso Soriano
    3B- Hank Blalock
    LF- Mark Teixeira
    CF- Brian Jordan
    RF- Ramon Nivar
    DH- Laynce Nix
    C- I still can't remember that dude's name.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Michael Young might get bumped over to SS and leave Soriano at 2B. we shall see.

Yeah, I heard that, but there's a big paradox about this. Alfonso Soriano is not a good defensive player, and Michael Young is a Gold-Glover. Moving Young to short could really mess up his flow and stuff. But having Soriano at the arguably most important defensive position (ss) could be disastrous.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Q: Why are the New York Yankess so good?

A: $