Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: omg mozilla firebox is teh sux

I downloaded a windows 98 ISO, virtual PC, respective keys, installed them, UNinstalled VPC, reinstalled it with options I didn't know I'd need, all so I could play Blade Runner again. <3

And it was worth it, that game is freaking awesome.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

How can a ftp program allow you to upload 3x faster? That makes no sense. BoB's a fillfthy liar.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

<div align="justify">By using multiple connectins to the server

During the server move, I found I could get 50 k/s upload for data for this site (for a single connection), so the time to send the actual data was approximately 3 hours.

However, for each file you send, due to the FTP protocol, you must send control data to the server to tell it the filename and where to save etc. and wait for a reply saying what port to send to and if it's ready etc. - this will take at least twice the ping time between you and server - in my case 1/3 s. With approximately 60,000 files, you can now clearly see the amount of time just sitting and waiting and not actually sending files but doing "paperwork" as it were amounts to almost twice the time than it takes to upload the data itself, which is clearly stupid Yes, it did end up taking around 9 hours solid, even on my connection, to upload all this

So if an FTP program can use multiple connections to upload, then one connection could be using the bandwidth during the idle time of the other connection awaiting instructions, hence cutting the overall waiting time

To keep things simple (since this server is kinda more complicated on bandwidth per connection bit), if I was capped at the 50 k/s as I mentioned earlier, (which is almost twice what BoB's connection allows him to uplaod at,) then yes, I'd have seen almost a 3x improvement in upload time had I used an FTP program capable of concurrent connections and it was keeping that 50 k/s maxed out between all the connections at all times </div>
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

All these free programs out there...

Answer to your browser problems: Opera. (You can find keys to register it anytime)
    Answer to your media player problems: iTunes (easy, full control of your library), foobar2000 (for those who love it simple, fast, etc...)
    Answer to your FTP problems: SmartFTP
    Answer to your messanging problems: Trillian

Those answered my problems! (IE, WMP, WS FTP, AIM)