Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Passion of Christ

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Aramaic, I think. And the ads say it's subtitled.
    It's not often someone tries for historical accuracy in religious films; usually they're full of stereotypes or fanciful stuff. I might go and see it, it depends.
    It's sad, though, that the film's getting branded as 'anti-Semitic' so readily. A Jewish leader in my city checked the movie out and said that it's fine because it's historically accurate, not deliberately biased against Romans, Jews or anyone else. It just shows what probably would have happened, based on the evidence we know.

Incidentally, it's called "The Passion of <i>the</i> Christ".

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

I wasn't going to see it fearing it wasn't subtitled, and I would spend the majority of the movie either thinking I knew it and knowing it, or thinking I knew it and not knowing it (big complicated either there huh?). I know enough about the bible to B.S. my way through, but still....

I guess I can watch it tmw if and when this silly ebay thing I have going on is over.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

I just got back from seeing it, and yes it is subtitled. Some of what the Roman guards say, mainly during the whipping scenes, isnt subtitled, but most everything else is.

Only one word can accurately describe the movie: Intense. It totally made me think, and yes, it is very violent. I wouldnt say unncessarily, because this is what happened and I dont think such things should be played down, but it is so intensely violent that I almost had to get up and leave, because I couldnt bear to watch this man suffer anymore. I sobbed like a child.

Edit: Oh, and it's in all three languages mentioned, I know for a fact about Arameic and Latin (a friend of mine was taking Latin class and the students were asked if they'd yell things in Latin). I believe the language changes depending on who's speaking and when, like when the Romans are alone, or when the Jewish leaders are alone. I cant tell the difference though.

Edit2: Oh oh, when Jesus is being whipped, the strokes are counted off in what I'm pretty sure is Roman.
    Last edited by TheAbominatrix; 02-24-2004 at 09:04 AM.

Yeah, I'm goin to see it when it comes to Denmark... Which is a long, long from the day it's out in USA

I've been saying I won't see it, but I might just end up doing so. I'd be going with my high school church youth group. The reason I wouldn't go, though, is because I just don't feel it will move me. It's violent? Violence in movies doesn't sway me either way. Sure it's different with true stories, but I'm still the same. It's very religiously provocative? It may be, but I'm not going to look at the story of Christ any differently afterwards- I already fully understand the extent of what happened. It's great that it's telling it as truthfully as possible, but it's not like that's extremely radical to me. I know the truth from Jesus' last hours in the 4 gospels, and it makes sense to me. I've seen enough movies that portray it well enough already.

This movie is beyond words. I just got back from the theatre. Wow. I've never seen anything like it. It certainly is a powerful movie. Anyone with the stomache to do so should see it. I have so many comments, but they're all spoilers, and since I know I myself ignore spoiler tags, I'll just hold off saying anything untill more people have seen the film so that I don't ruin anything.
    Knock yourselves down.

I'm not going to see it for two reasons:

1. It's rated R

2. I already know about the last hours of Christ's life. If I ever need a refresher, I can just read about it in the scriptures, not see some glorified, violent representation of it.

Spoilers? I think the story is already pretty well known. I think everyone knows the ending.

True, but I'm referring to specific ways the story was presented. I wouldn't want to spoil the effect by describing them.
    Knock yourselves down.

Okie, I see. I haven't seen it yet. I will, though.

the movie is outstanding. One of those movies that leaves you speachless at the end.

It really puts the crucifixion into a very very realistic sense. Everyone should see this movie. It is one of the best movies of all-time.

Again... wow. That was one of the most powerful movies I've ever seen. I was in tears through most of it, which is really kind of something for me considering I haven't cried in a movie since I was a kid.

The Passion's portrayal of Satan = perfect.

I shall see the movie. I hear its rated R for the cruelty and pains. It sounds interesting with he whole movie in another language. Plus woever sees the moive and doesnt like it, its a movie. Plain and simple its the basic story of what he had to come through.

Just a movie. Some things might not be exact but its a movie.
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Everyday I wish that I could be the one, for you...

I'm not going to see it, not in the theater anyway. I've seen enough religious movies for 3 lifetimes, and most of them only succeeded in either boring me, or making me take issue with their inaccuracies (in some cases, both... remember The Last Temptation of Christ?). And all of the people on TV raving about how this movie has changed their lives is kind of making me go.... meh.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Created Eyes on Final Fantasy
    • Former Administrator

I saw it last night. I can't really describe how I felt about it. I like the devil aspect in the movie (the tempation aspect) and I thought all the acting was great, but it felt so incomplete. I mean... you know, most already know the story, but it just started out with nothing more than a few seconds before Jesus was captured.

The violence was insane. I gasped once. Those who have seen it probably know the part I mean.