Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Passion of Christ

Articles
    Contributions
    • Created Eyes on Final Fantasy
    • Former Administrator

I thought it had something to do with the Devil playing Mary and the baby being Jesus... or something demented like that.

Anyway, I thought that Satan was cool because he is supposed to be the most beautiful creature you've ever seen, and the guy or girl that played him was indeed pretty radient and cool looking, but not to the point where it was distracting.

I thought it was a good movie, I'm not really religious myself though. But I found it to be emotional.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

Satan's supposed to be beatiful? I don't recall reading that in scripture. Watch it be in Psalms or something I haven't read.

Anyway I sort of watched it (take a hint) yesterday. I realised a couple of things that aren't quite pertinent to the story: that I didn't really think about the timeline of the last hours of Jesus' life, and that a movie that spans the time of ~12 hours seems to drag on a little bit. Anyway, there wasn't anything extremely bad about it. To me it was just a bland retelling of a few chapters out of a Gospel. It's a pretty good movie though

How can you possibly call it a bland story?
    I don't get it.

SEXY McAWESOME TO YOU, MISTER

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

It was just the last hours of Jesus, with very little artistic licensing from what I can recall from the Bible. You can argue that I just can't see the 'tastey' things about the movie all you want though. I stand by my claim. I didn't really feel anything for the movie. It's pretty sad to see what Jesus probably went through, but I already knew all that.

Maybe I'm just heartless ;_;

There really isn't anything "artistic" about what really happened. That is what happened in the last twelve hours of Jesus's life. What did you expect? Large-scale battles? Trying to destroy a ring so a man wouldn't take over the world? It was a re-telling of the last 12 hours of Jesus' life so people who didn't know what happened could learn.

EDIT: Alright, I just got back from seeing it. That's some pretty powerful stuff. I find it odd that one of the main issues with the movie was Anti-Semitism, yet it came directly from Jesus' lips: "Forgive them father. They are not to blame." He tells Pilate that.

I still don't get the symbolism with the psycho-retarded baby that Satan holds. And also, the crow motif: why would (SPOILER)a crow gouge the eyes out of his servant?

I thought the most powerful scene in the movie was the scourging scene. I couldn't help but think "Why did you do this for me?"
    Last edited by Kirobaito; 03-01-2004 at 02:48 AM.

You know that the mother Mary was played by a Jew. If she was willing to act in this movie then it can't be anit-semitic? I haven't seen it yet, so I can't really comment on it that much, but I do know that she's a Jew.
    Go away.

Yeah, she's a Jew, but the crap about the movie being Anti-Semitic is completely untrue. Jesus himself says forgive them. It's not their fault.

Scatter, Senbonzakura... DocFrance's Avatar

You know, I might go see it. Sure, I'm an atheist, and even if I don't believe the religious parts of the story, Jesus of Nazareth was still a great man and a martyr, who thought of some really good lessons for living life.

Then I'll go home and watch "Life of Brian."
    ARGUMENT FROM GUITAR MASTERY
    (1) Eric Clapton is God.
    (2) Therefore, God exists.

Well, I do recommend that you do see it, but the religious aspect is pretty much the whole thing. There isn't much about his teachings, simply his arrest, crucifixion, and resurrection.

Seen it.
    It was a very powerful movie. It's nice how it's in Latin and Aramaic. It gives you a good idea of what it might have really sounded like.
    I don't think it's too violent in the sense that it makes its point. The scene where he's whipped and beaten is one of the hardest to watch because you can hear everything. And when they nail Him to the cross, you can hear the nail going through the flesh.......very, very disturbing for me.
    I cried the entire last half, just a strem of tears. Just seeing what he went through really hit me deep inside and made me think. My belief has only been strengthened. Where I had doubt, it no longer exists. Just seeing the crucifixion made me realize what He went through. I lost all my worries for the moment and when the movie ended, I just stared at the screen for about 5 minutes in awe.
    But like I said, it made its point. Good movie.
    Even if you don't believe, it still makes a good movie to see.

Then go home and watch "Life of Brian" to laugh to make up for all the disturbing images you had just seen.:P
    Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without. ~Confucius

I cried, but only in the scourging scene.

That had to be one of the worst scenes to watch for me.
    I cried the hardest when they showed Mary trying to get to Jesus to help and she wasn't allowed. I bawled. But I think that's a womanly instinct......

And King Bahamut, I don't get the Devil part either.....maybe the Antichrist???
    It's kinda freaky, thought. I had a nightmare the night afterwards about that. *shudders*
    Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without. ~Confucius

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Yeah I cried throughout the entire end. I didnt wanna sob outloud because I wanted to listen and didnt want to disturb anyone around me. I could hear my friend's sister crying over in her seat.

As for Satan being beautiful, Moo Moo, I'm not sure if it's mentioned specifically in the Bible, but in Jewish lore there's a lot about angels. Satan was Lucifer, angel of music and... something else I believe, and it was said that his beauty made him think himself higher than God, hence why he was cast out.

Haven't seen it yet, but I probably will eventually. I wonder why so many people are so intent on ruining the experience for people. The attitude seems to be the same old "Stupid Christians always shoving their beliefs at us", except they're doing nothing of the sort.

Why would seeing this movie strengthen your belief? It's a movie, not a home video. You knew how it would end when you went in. But I'm not religious, so maybe I just don't understand. I mean, I believe in dinosaurs. Seeing Jurassic Park didn't strengthen that. Sure, it's ficticious, but that movie is just an adaptation of what you already know.