Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Passion of Christ

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

Some people are just more prone to emotional displays, maybe. I didn't flinch throughout the movie. I was just 'surprised' they turned him over to scourge his frontside. I suppose I had the ability to distance myself from the movie's attempt to hypotise the audience. Whatever the reason, I just can't empathise with people who felt strongly about the movie. I suppose it's good for them -- they can feel bad over seeing people suffer in a movie, or they can find strengthened faith through it.

There's thoroughly insensitive things I could say about the movie, but I'll keep those to myself.

A lot of the books in the Bible were thrown out of the modern version by the early Catholic church - the ones that did tended to be a lot more mythological, and dealt with angels and demons more than the main Bible. These would have talked about the fall more, I think. Anyway, look at the word "Lucifer" - it means "morning star," and Venus is certainly a beautiful sight - hell, look who it's named after.

I have read that, in reality, Pilate was actually a sadist and routinely crucified people without trial. Unlike Jesus, there are a good deal of contemporary records about him, as far as I know. Though, to be fair, the Jews were rather fond of parading around purported messiahs at the time, but only so long as they served as a rallying point against Rome.

EDIT: Also, I would REALLY like to go see it and sing "Always look on the bright side of life" during the crucifiction ;D

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

And angels are routinely refered to as 'stars'.

Pilate was a sadist, according to what I've read. However, around the time Jesus was crucified, Pilate was getting into deep trouble with Ceaser for many of his actions. This could be a reason for his sentencing, and his hesitancy there.

And Emerald Aeris, it's a powerful film that makes one think, question what they've been doing and why. The movie itself doesnt strengthen anyone's faith, but it's caused a lot of people to take a long hard look at themselves afterwards. That's where any change in faith comes from.

Then again, was it the Jews that wrote he was a sadist, or his peers? I think the Jews would be a tad biased.

But the Romans tended to be complete pricks, so I wouldn't be suprised if he was as bad as they say.

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

That I don't know. I'm not really sure what Rome's policy was towards Jewish anti-Roman feelings... like, were their own historical records surpressed? I'm not sure where the documents of the time come from, though I'm inclined to assume they were kept by the Romans.

I'll have to look into that.

I watched Passion last friday. But I expected more bloodshed.
    What's a jellicle cat?

TheAbominatrix>>>Satan was Lucifer, angel of music and... something else I believe

angel of light.
    Go away.

Originally posted by Doomgaze
    A lot of the books in the Bible were thrown out of the modern version by the early Catholic church - the ones that did tended to be a lot more mythological, and dealt with angels and demons more than the main Bible. These would have talked about the fall more, I think. Anyway, look at the word "Lucifer" - it means "morning star," and Venus is certainly a beautiful sight - hell, look who it's named after.
    Yes and those books are called the Apocrypha. Very interesting to read. I'd have to check aobut the fall of Lucifer........there are now many Bibles out with the apocrypha in them.
    Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without. ~Confucius

I saw it last night. It was good enough to keep my attention solely on the screen for ~two hours. The way Jesus's sacrifices are portrayed in the movie drive the point home twenty times harder than the dry old words in the Bible.

About Lucifer; before when he became Satan, he was an angel. He wasn't just any angel, he was basically the top most beautiful angel. Because he was the highest of them, he kind of got big headed and wanted to take control. But being God, he knew and sent Lucifer and the other angels who joined him down to hell. Thus you get Satan and his demons. That's about all I know.
    What's a jellicle cat?

Saw it last night and I will never see it again.
    I keep running....I am running....
    I keep living for the day that I'm with you

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

There was something of a war, and uprising against God, and Lucifer either coerced or forced other angels to fight on his side. Lucifer was the one to take them with him, when 'he swept one third of the stars from the sky with his tail'.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> I wasnt interested in this movie until I saw a trailer of it.
    I wonder if this one can surpass the awesomeness of Braveheart..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Originally posted by Jewels
    Saw it last night and I will never see it again.
    Why is that? Too violent or what?

On the subject of Satan being the morning star, I found <a href=http://www.lds-mormon.com/lucifer.shtml>this</a> quite interesting.

SEXY McAWESOME TO YOU, MISTER