Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: The Passion of Christ

That's very interesting......now I'm more confused! Yay for being confused!
    Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without. ~Confucius

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Originally posted by King Bahamut
    Well, I do recommend that you do see it, but the religious aspect is pretty much the whole thing. There isn't much about his teachings, simply his arrest, crucifixion, and resurrection.
    Besides the scene in which he outlines his "love thy enemy" philosophy, he exudes the principles of his teachings throughout the entire film through his reactions to the weight set upon him.

Correct, Kishi. I forgot about that part. Wasn't that the Sermon on the Mount?

Yeah, that was the Sermon on the Mount. It also included the passage where Jesus says "Let he who is without sin throw the first stone", and shows the pharacees dropping their stones. Being a Christian, I thought the movie was very good and well done. It was true and showed how it actually happened instead of leaving it up to your mind to imagine it. There was a serious tone to the movie, yet Mel also was able to add some funny parts, like the scene with Jesus making the table. Mary then replies "oh, this will never catch on", referring to the height. Another funny part was where the little demon children chase Judas Iscariot out of town. That wasnt supposed to be funny, but, admit it, a bunch of albino demon children beating a grown man is funny.
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

I found the little satans terrifying, but Barabbas was a go-getter.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Those demon kids freaked me out. Barabbas was pretty funny, and the scene between Mary and Jesus was very sweet and amusing.

I wanted to laugh at the demon part, but I refused to embarass myself that way. I'd like to see it again, but I'm not old enough to drive myself yet (only 2 1/2 months!) and my dad or anything wouldn't want to drive me.

Barrabas looked a tad ... how to say... dumb. Does anybody know what was up with the demon baby in satan's hands while Jesus was being beaten at the post?
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I still haven't figure the baby thing out yet.

Originally posted by King Bahamut
    I wanted to laugh at the demon part, but I refused to embarass myself that way.
    I went to go see The Time Machine while it was in theaters with my then-girlfriend, and after the inventor goes back in time, he goes across the street to buy flowers for his revived girlfriend. When he is in the shop, she can be seen through a window.

She got hit by one of the old-fashioned cars that were around when automobiles were first invented, and I laughed loudly.

I was also the only one in the theater to laugh at all, which made me laugh even more. My girlfriend hit me (on the arm) and told me to be quiet...which made me laugh more.
    Hi, I'm God. May I take your order?

I did the same thing, nevermind. I also laughed when Neo flipped off the Architect. Me and my friends were the only ones to do that. But anyway, enough with the off-topic jam.

I saw the movie last week, and I have to say that it really touched me. I'm glad I went to see it.

Maître de Web d'Élite Wind Shear's Avatar

I gonna see it.

And by the way, it's not for kids to see.
    Courage is not the lack of fear. It is acting in spite of it. ~ Mark Twain

Wind Shear in WikiEoFF

MILF
    - In Philippines, it's a rebel group.
    - In U.S. of A.,... err... do I have to tell you?

I really do NOT understand this whole anti-semitism deal.

An online magazine reviewer said it best:

My own feeling is that Gibson's film is not anti-Semitic, but reflects a range of behavior on the part of its Jewish characters, on balance favorably. The Jews who seem to desire Jesus' death are in the priesthood, and have political as well as theological reasons for acting; like today's Catholic bishops who were slow to condemn abusive priests, Protestant TV preachers who confuse religion with politics, or Muslim clerics who are silent on terrorism, they have an investment in their positions and authority. The other Jews seen in the film are viewed positively; Simon helps Jesus to carry the cross, Veronica brings a cloth to wipe his face, Jews in the crowd cry out against his torture.

A reasonable person, I believe, will reflect that in this story set in a Jewish land, there are many characters with many motives, some good, some not, each one representing himself, none representing his religion. The story involves a Jew who tried no less than to replace the established religion and set himself up as the Messiah. He was understandably greeted with a jaundiced eye by the Jewish establishment while at the same time finding his support, his disciples and the founders of his church entirely among his fellow Jews. The libel that the Jews "killed Christ" involves a willful misreading of testament and teaching: Jesus was made man and came to Earth in order to suffer and die in reparation for our sins. No race, no man, no priest, no governor, no executioner killed Jesus; he died by God's will to fulfill his purpose, and with our sins we all killed him
    I feel, that anyone who thinks this movie (or Mel Gibson himself) is Anti-semitistic (sp?) should go watch it again and shut the fudge up about it.

Also...

I read some opinions from people who object against this movie, because it is a 'faulty interpretation of the Bible'.

Up yours. Anyone is allowed to portray his opinion or views in ANY WAY, its part of our freedom of speech. If you want a clean translation of the Bible, go somewhere else. This movie is obviously not intended to teach people about the story of Christ, it's to show how Jesus died for our sins.

The ignorance of some people really ticks me of. Grr.

I, by the way, feel that the enormous amount of violence is a good way to tell the story of the crucifiction. It will definetely shake things up a bit. =)
    They speak of my drinking but they never consider my thirst.
    The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them.
    Prevent inbreeding: Ban country music!
    Save the trees: Kill a beaver!
    Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole damn Chicken!

Maître de Web d'Élite Wind Shear's Avatar

Don't you ever know that one way to execute traitors in Roman Empire about 2,000 years ago is crucifixion? It does not mean that Jesus is the traitor, okay.
    Courage is not the lack of fear. It is acting in spite of it. ~ Mark Twain

Wind Shear in WikiEoFF

MILF
    - In Philippines, it's a rebel group.
    - In U.S. of A.,... err... do I have to tell you?