Thread: Is there any way to play a CD game without the CD...??

Default Is there any way to play a CD game without the CD...??

Can I play the game without the CD like if I do something to the file so it will play without it? I have all the files from the CD on my comp and I don't think there is any special incription on the CD cause I can just burn the files and the CD works right, but the CD only worked once and now my CD Drive won't read the CD cause my CD burner doesn't burn right. So, can anyone offer any info?? Thanks a lot.
    ~LionHart~

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

This belongs in the Help Forum.

If the game requires you to have the CD to use it, the only way I can see you running the game without the CD is by making an ISO of the CD (an image) and then using something like DAEMON Tools to run the ISO.

Some more details would be helpful.

Well the files consist of the main file a .dll file and an auto run file. I can click the main file and it opens the start screen, but after I click Play Game it says please insert CD. So i didn't know if I could hack into the file (don't know how, and I don't know any C so it'd be kinda tough) and change something to make it read from my hard drive and not the CD drive.
    ~LionHart~

Well you also might wanna look into a no CD crack for the game. But those can be fornd on a p2p client.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

I'm going to pretend like I don't know you are trying to play burned games and point you to winISO

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

There are some games you can play without the CD, but you won't get everything in the game that you can from the CD...

The other way is illegal.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

u could try using a program that makes a virtual disc of the game on ur hard drive if no cd cracks dont work

as long as you own the game either way may be legal depending on what country you live in.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

<i>I'm going to pretend like I don't know you are trying to play burned games and point you to winISO</i> --PG

There are legitimate uses for this kind of question. For example to play my legally purchased Warcraft III in Linux, I need a no-CD crack because of the non-standard way WC3 checks for the CD. If I pay $60 for something, I think I have the right to circumvent the stupid copyright protections someone decided to put on the CD, if all I want to do is use my legal copy of the game myself in a legal way. Also, copying a CD to your HD can result in the game loading and running faster, because HD access is generally faster than CD access. I've found that no-CD cracks are the way to go rather than virtual CDs.

If you're using this kind of thing to play games you didn't pay for, on the other hand, you're just a bum.

assuming ur playing legit games virtual cd's would help preserve ur game cd's from wear an tear as well as what unne said

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

If you have the free space to waste on virtual CD drives just to increase seek time (which btw I've never had a problem with when it came to GAMES, as opposed to data cds), then go for it. The only times I've used daemon tools or whatever was for novelty purposes.

Whatever floats your boat

Thanks you guys, the no cd crack thing worked, so I'm good to go. The disk I was using was scratched so bad that it wouldn't play some of the game, but when I tried copying the files i didn't think it would work cause it went from 25 seconds left to 22 minutes when it got to the scratch, so I kept canceling and finally I just let it sit and it slowed down like it always did and then it started speeding back up and finished, so I have the files on the comp and I can play without the CD, anyway, thanks again, and yes I have heard of end punctuation.
    ~LionHart~