Thread: Minority representations on TV

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Minority representations on TV

I was watching this show on vh1 called"TV's Illest Minority Moments presented by Ego Trip" and I find it quite appalling.

Really disappointing. There has only been three successful sitcoms with latin-american stars, with the first and most successful being "I Love Lucy." and the latest being "George Lopez" And there's a third one in between..

Anyway, what do you think about the representations of minorities on TV? Do you find it just as appalling as I do?

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

I don't watch TV too much, but I do agree with you. Minorites gets jabbed pretty roughy. I think it's partially their fault for agreeing to accept those roles on television, though. It's not like anyone put a gun to their heads to make them be on TV to be portrayed as less than human.

I'm curious; Did the show show those moments in a positive or negative light? What I'm asking, did the show seem in favor of poor portrayals of minorities, or did it seem to be against it?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't know. It was probably more negative than postive, imo.

well here in England minoritys are hugely over represented tv programs allways have indian and black people in them. maybe it's nothing to do with the race of the people good shows will be hits bad ones will dissapear into the ether.
    Your sig is too hilarious and witty, thus i have removed it to protect the minds of all forum goers
    -The allways inspiring leeza

The US population is about 80% white...so I don't think it's racism at all or anything like that...it's just that since there are more of them, they are more likely to get TV roles.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Hey, 'Latino Heat' Eddie Guerrero is the WWE Champion on Smackdown!. Even though he has his stereotypical qualities, he still brings it. So that's something.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

The fact that a tv show is making commentary about the lack of quality minority shows or the quantity of them while its title talks about the "Illest" moments is problem enough for me. Putting "Illest" in the title just reinforces stereotypes about minority cultures being hip, cool, uneducated and unmotivated yet the show seems to want to remove these stereotypes.
    Figaro Castle

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, it's been quite awhile since minorites are finally having their big moments on TV. There's still a lack of Asian-americans in prime time shows.