Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Golbeze Devil Incarnate

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
    (SPOILER)For the record, it's Double Meteor, not White Meteor.
    In the SNES version, it's called W. Meteo, which can only be assumed stands for White Meteo.

Quote Originally Posted by DJzen
    (SPOILER)Hmmm, cliche alien monster thing, or cliche dark knight wearing cliche "spooky" armor...... that's a tough call, man.
    Not really, in my humble opinion.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Paladin_Cecil
    In the SNES version, it's called W. Meteo, which can only be assumed stands for White Meteo.
    "W" is sort of like Square's way of saying "Double" or "X2". This is why later games have "W Magic", "W Summon" and "W Item".

OKay. Seems odd, but then, translation usually is.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

I think it has something to do with the way "Double" is represented in Japanese, but I don't exactly understand it myself.

Anyway, I thought the plot device of (SPOILER)having Golbeza controlled by Zemus (not Zeromus, Zeromus was the manifestation of Zemus' hatred) was rather lame, myself; (SPOILER)Zemus doesn't receive near the kind of development Golbeza did, and (SPOILER)having Golbeza be controlled by Zemus destroyed a perfectly good badass character.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Doomed Otaku of the void aeris2001x2's Avatar

Default spoilers!

true. it would have been much better if golbez
    had been possessed by Zemus (like FFVIII Spoileredea was possessed by ultimecia) cause then it would have been the main enemy personality u battle all the time. of course it would have been MUCH BETTER then FFVIII SpoilerUltimecia,s crap personality.

Edit by Kishi: Mark your spoilers.
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster
    "...Shut up. The cycle of nature and your stupid plan don't mean
    a thing. Aeris is gone. Aeris will no longer talk, no longer laugh,
    cry...... or get angry...... What about us...... what are WE supposed
    to do? What about my pain? My fingers are tingling. My mouth is dry. My
    eyes are burning!" Cloud- FF7

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by aeris2001x2
    true. it would have been much better if golbez
    had been possessed by Zemus (like FFVIII Spoileredea was possessed by ultimecia) cause then it would have been the main enemy personality u battle all the time. of course it would have been MUCH BETTER then FFVIII SpoilerUltimecia,s crap personality.
    Er... you should really mark your FFVIII spoilers. And Golbeza was (SPOILER)being controlled by Zemus, as The Man pointed out in his last post..

Edit by Kishi: Starts with an "s," ends with a "poiler."
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Default spoilers!

yes i said it would have been better if he was POSSESSED, not controlled. Golbez was brainwashed. please read what i write.

and the title of my post was SPOILERS!
    " Redeem me into childhood. Show me myself without the shell" Nightwish- Ghost Love Score.
    " Everything is Clearer now. Life is just a dream you know, thats never ending...i,m ascending". Cowboy Bebop- Blue
    " Noriko...Kazumi...When you return i,ll be there to say...Welcome Home" Jung- Gunbuster

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

OOC:Yes, you did point out spoilers, but this is the "Final Fantasy I-IV" forum. No mention of VIII there, therefore people aren't going to be expecting spoilers for VIII in this marked thread are they?

And aren't controlled and possessed pretty much the same thing? If you're possessed you're being controlled. Might not work vice versa, but it certainly works that way.
    Last edited by Heath; 06-28-2004 at 08:01 PM.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

I think what he means is that it would have been better if (SPOILER)Zemus had actually spoken through Golbeza while he was controlling him, instead of (SPOILER)Golbeza speaking for himself, just kept along an evil path by Zemus's control. But, while that would mean (SPOILER)more personality for Zemus, it would also mean that (SPOILER)Golbeza wouldn't have any character at all until nearly the end of the game.

Default spoilers

lol i,m just hiding that i dont know how to insert spoiler tags despite my many moons as a member of this forum.

yep Kawaii thats what i meant and i agree with what u say against it, makes alot of sense. I just dont like Zemus having no personality.

Spoiler Tutorial:
    To mark spoilers, type the following: spoilers XXXXXX /spoilers, with the word spoilers and /spoilers encased in Brackets. Example: [spoiler]s
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

thanks. my biggest problem is i,ve never had a situation to use them yet so i,ve never learned it. [spoilers] i hate the item drop encounter in this game and i wanna marry Rydia [/spoilers]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aeris2001x2
    yep Kawaii thats what i meant and i agree with what u say against it, makes alot of sense. I just dont like Zemus having no personality.
    He's only in the game for a short moment. It's hard to give him a personality in 2 seconds.

yeah thats why i dont like it. reminds me of [spoilers] Ultimecia in ff8 who sucked[/spoilers]

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
    I think what he means is that it would have been better if (SPOILER)Zemus had actually spoken through Golbeza while he was controlling him, instead of (SPOILER)Golbeza speaking for himself, just kept along an evil path by Zemus's control. But, while that would mean (SPOILER)more personality for Zemus, it would also mean that (SPOILER)Golbeza wouldn't have any character at all until nearly the end of the game.
    Kishi knows me too well.

I guess it was a tremendous disappointment (SPOILER)to have such a badass character turn out not to be a badass at all. Okay, okay, he's still somewhatof a badass with his dark armour and his superhuman strength, but losing the "Imposing Villain" motif kind of undoes a lot of the effect of lines like "It's been such a pleasure defeating you; we must do it again sometime, and since I have the girl, there'll be a next time."

I suppose it could be argued that (SPOILER)it IS Zemus speaking through Golbeza, given that his method of speech changes dramatically after the mind control spell is broken. The game doesn't develop Zemus enough for us to know.

The best solution probably would have been for us to learn more about (SPOILER)Golbeza after the mind control spell is undone, and to learn more about Zemus period. Having Golbeza mosy off with FuSoYa right after the mind control spell is undone not only prevents us from seeing what he'd be like as a party member, but it prevents us from learning of his true personality. And the only time we see Zemus at all is right before Golbeza and FuSoYa defeat him and he transforms into Zeromus.

In other circumstances, I'd suggest (SPOILER)eliminating the middleman entirely, since I generally hate "manipulation" stories for the most part, but that would undo a lot of the thematic purpose of FFIV.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)